Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

Thanks. But I don't follow them -- who are they? People in the industry, fans with access to tracking, both?

It's basically crowd-based predicting, based off stock market principles. (HSX stands for Hollywood Stock Exchange.) People buy/sell properties based on how much they think it'll gross in 4 weeks. The opening price is determined by 2.7*OW.

(adjusted)

The Perfect Storm: 62.3 / 275.1

Ocean's Eleven: 54.7 / 260.4

Ocean's Twelve: 51.2 / 163.0

Ocean's Thirteen: 42.6 / 138.3

Gravity: 55.8 / 274.1

Sure, he hasn't had a huge amount of hits, but he is very much an A-list star and one of the most famous actors in the world.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Maleficent, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Narnia, Pearl Harbor and Armageddon, National Treasure, Tron Legacy all did great, and none of those are animated or Marvel.

I could name dozens more if you want.

Del Toro originally wanted Tom Cruise in the film but he turned it down :( it would have made a lot more if it had Tom, but oh well. A sequel is happening so let's not worry too much.

Selective choices there.  Clooney had nothing to do with Perfect Storm.  And the threequel you have listed there isn't really clooney either.  And besides, those are all from a different era.  Clooney hasn't been relevant in about a decade, or at least box office wise, and this is coming from someone who thinks he's one of the greatest actors or all time.

that trailer was a masterpiece. Godzilla was a mediocre to half-decent movie but because the trailers were so amazing, they ended up hurting the movie's reception. I don't think I would have loved it if I was going in blind, but I wouldn't be so dissapointed for sure. It was kind of an OK movie with a lot of problems, but it looks like shit next to the masterpiece the trailers were advertising.

Godzilla is one of the worst films I have seen, yes, it would make my top 100-150 worst films of all time.

But that trailer would make top 50 best trailers of all time.  It managed to get my money from me.

I weep at the mere thought of POLTERGEIST being remade, even to bring it into modern day standards and the thing of it is, is that they've made sure the Cast looks EXACTLY like the Cast from the 80's movie...

Why do people have problems with remakes?  I say remake JAWS, it doesn't matter at all.  No one is forcing you to see it and at the very least it gets people interested in seeing the original.  Psycho is one of the worst remakes ever but it got another generation to check out the original and that is a very good thing.

• Like 3

Why do people have problems with remakes?  I say remake JAWS, it doesn't matter at all.  No one is forcing you to see it and at the very least it gets people interested in seeing the original.  Psycho is one of the worst remakes ever but it got another generation to check out the original and that is a very good thing.

Right. It's not like it takes away from the original or makes it look bad. If anything, good or bad, the remake brings attention to the original. 

• Like 3

Right. It's not like it takes away from the original or makes it look bad. If anything, good or bad, the remake brings attention to the original. 

I love remakes for this very reason.

Tomorrowland needed great reviews to break out. Since its not getting them its doomed for sure.

Kind of like how Maleficent's WOM was "doomed?" It's a PG Disney movie. If it's even moderately entertaining then the multi will be at least a 3x.

I don't have a problem with remakes, either. Looking forward to Magnificent Seven. Liked the Bridges True Grit more than Wayne's. Saw a Japanese remake of Unforgiven a couple weeks ago that, while not quite as excellent as the original, was still quite good and had an ending that I think i preferred over the original's.

Tomorrowland needed great reviews to break out. Since its not getting them its doomed for sure.

Great reviews don't break or make a movie necessarily, marketing and interest does more so.

Course Tomorrowland's marketing was has been quite poor, but that's aside the point.

• Like 2

Kind of like how Maleficent's WOM was "doomed?" It's a PG Disney movie. If it's even moderately entertaining then the multi will be at least a 3x.

Maleficent was reimaging of sleeping beauty. So that is critic proof. This is an original sci-fi. I doubt same audience will be back. It needed great reviews to get GA back.