kayumanggi

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN | 10.07.16 | Universal | final gross ● 75.40 M

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They still could have been more careful. Gone Girl shows nothing past the first half of the movie in the marketing.

The Girl on the Train doesn't have anywhere nearly as good of a hook as Gone Girl did. It'll be lucky if it makes half of what it did.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Girl on the Train doesn't have anywhere nearly as good of a hook as Gone Girl did. It'll be lucky if it makes half of what it did.

I am expecting like 25/75 or something like that. 

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They still could have been more careful. Gone Girl shows nothing past the first half of the movie in the marketing.

Gone Girl was focused on the investigation and the accusations though. The later only happens at the end of the book for this one and since it's first person narrative, the investigation didn't get as much coverage as Gone Girl did.

Edited by ChD

Just now, ChD said:

Gone Girl was focused on the investigation and the accusations though. The later only happens at the end of the book for this one.

Use the murder and tease the several suspects. There was not even a need to say she was Theroux's babysitter. 

The only characters that seem hidden are Ramirez and Ferguson. And Haley Bennett plays a bitch apparently :lol: 

I mean, I don't know what I'd take away from the trailer if I hadn't read the book, but to my eyes it gives away stuff that it absolutely shouldn't.

I don't know how they could've edited it differently, but maybe try not to hint so strongly at the main twist?

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this is such a movie that woulda had like demi moore or ashley judd in it if it was 20 years ago.

LOL you are right in that it definitely feels like one those many goofy thrillers that Ashley Judd made in the early aughts. I enjoyed the book though despite its trashiness.

Edited by filmlover

6 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

the book isn't as trashy as people make it out to be. it's an interesting character study. rachel is a strong character. 

Eh I enjoyed it but it lacks the depth of something like a Gone Girl. It's "summer beach novel" material.

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

the book isn't as trashy as people make it out to be. it's an interesting character study. rachel is a strong character. 

Most people who say things like "airport/beach trash novel" for every popular book, really don't read books themselves. They just like acting that everything that isn't Dostoyevsky  is beneath them. Same thing happened with Gone Girl, Hunger Games, Dragon Tattoo etc.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Most people who say things like "airport/beach trash novel" for every popular book, really don't read books themselves. They just like acting that everything that isn't Dostoyevsky  is beneath them. Same thing happened with Gone Girl, Hunger Games, Dragon Tattoo etc.

I enjoyed the novel but I wouldn't place it alongside any of the aforementioned titles. It lacks the satirical elements regarding the media that made Gone Girl so good. Also the writing is kind of lousy at times (though not cringeworthy in the way E.L. James' works are).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Weak trailer. Tries way too hard to be sexual and scandalous. It does a piss-poor job of capturing what the book was about. Also, Kanye is now a Kardashianed joke. Don't use his song. It won't make your movie seem "cooler." 

ae438e8a91e548fe31386f386709c121.jpg