kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

Wild rumor that they are talking about a remake of "Taps" the film which first brought Cruise to prominence when, in a supporting role, he pretty much stole the movie.

The idea is that Cruise will play the retired general who is commadent of the Military Boys School in which the story takes place, the role played by George C Scott in the original. Cruise played a borderline psychotic cadet who goes totally bonkers toward the end of the film.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I like that in the last couple of films they went back to the root concept of the TV Show and made an elaborate plot to trap the bad guys the centerpiece of the film and built the action sequences around that rather then just have a thin  plot to hang the action sequences on which what I did not like about some of the earlier films.

M:I-II was really the only one guilty of the thin plot to hang the action sequences on, considering it was a John Woo film with the M:I name attached to it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Wild rumor that they are talking about a remake of "Taps" the film which first brought Cruise to prominence when, in a supporting role, he pretty much stole the movie.

The idea is that Cruise will play the retired general who is commadent of the Military Boys School in which the story takes place, the role played by George C Scott in the original. Cruise played a borderline psychotic cadet who goes totally bonkers toward the end of the film.

Let's wait and see how Top Gun 2 turns out before Taps sequels are confirmed.

2 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Let's wait and see how Top Gun 2 turns out before Taps sequels are confirmed.

That is why I said "Wild Rumor".

I watched "Taps" recently, and ,actually, it stands up beautifully. Still an incredibly well written film.

And aside from Cruise, it was also Sean Penn's first major role in a movie,though the main Cadet character was Timothy Hutton, who was a much more established young actor then either Penn or Cruise when the movie was made.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That is why I said "Wild Rumor".

I watched "Taps" recently, and ,actually, it stands up beautifully. Still an incredibly well written film.

And aside from Cruise, it was also Sean Penn's first major role in a movie,though the main Cadet character was Timothy Hutton, who was a much more established young actor then either Penn or Cruise when the movie was made.

It's an overlooked gem from the 80s, I agree. Plenty of young talent on display in the film. It is plenty better than Red Dawn. Similar format with far better results. I just don't see how you can remake it with equal quality of the decade it was made in. People still love hot shot pilots. I don't know about troubled military academy students. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but I just would suggest to wait on it.

Edited by ThePhasmid

1 hour ago, ThePhasmid said:

It's an overlooked gem from the 80s, I agree. Plenty of young talent on display in the film. It is plenty better than Red Dawn. Similar format with far better results. I just don't see how you can remake it with equal quality of the decade it was made in. People still love hot shot pilots. I don't know about troubled military academy students. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but I just would suggest to wait on it.

I am not sure it is  overlooked,it has a sizable  following.

And it was a big surprise box office hit in December 1981;in fact it is often cited as an example of a "big hit that came out of nowhere"

Of course 1981 proved to have a weak holiday season;it's like the  studios released all their huge hits in the Summer of 1981, leaving the door open for a film like "Taps" to sneak in.

And it is questionable that a really serious drama could, nowdays be the kind of hit that "Taps" was in 1981, sadly.

If I were Cruise I would want to play not the General in charge of the academy but the Colonel in charge of the National Guard (very underrated actor Ronny Cox in the role);it's a better role then the School commandant.

Either role would be Cruise doing what is basically a supporting role in terms of screen time,but one which could be more memorable then the leads. Cruise, to his credit, has shown no  hesistation in taking a smaller role if he thinks it's a good role.

Edited by dudalb

I haven't seen any of the mission impossible movies, but the trailer is so fucking good I want to check this out. And, because henry cavill is in it - he is seriously the hottest guy on earth. Will i be lost without watching the other ones?

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, YLF said:

I haven't seen any of the mission impossible movies, but the trailer is so fucking good I want to check this out. And, because henry cavill is in it - he is seriously the hottest guy on earth. Will i be lost without watching the other ones?

Watch the other ones anyway just because they’re all good

• Like 2

Listened to some of Balfe's score for Pacific Rim: Uprising and I wasn't particularly impressed. His instrumental take on Celebration for The Florida Project was pretty good though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

And judging from McQ's tweets, he seems somewhat confident in the finished film despite not having tested it yet. Also a second trailer is supposedly "coming soon".

On 4/18/2018 at 8:22 AM, Lucas said:

If they can pull this shit off again and make another great movie Mission: Impossible will be one of the most bizarre franchises to get this far in and be way better than where it started.

People always say this but the reality is other than the second they've all been consistently terrific and hold hold up very well.

• Like 3