kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

James Gunn worked on some pretty edgy movies before GotG. The live action Scooby Doo film (which he wrote) was even supposed to be rated R. 

Ok, that last part is actually not accurate. I think it was supposed to be more PG-13, but there is no way it was going to be R. What Gunn said was that the MPAA nearly gave it an R because they misinterpreted a joke as being about oral sex. (No idea what joke, I haven’t seen the movie. Maybe they had to cut in in the end, anyway.)

My understanding is that it was more like Galaxy Quest, where a movie scripted/filmed angling for a PG-13 was softened for a PG at the request of the studio. (Though I’m not sure Scooby was retooled as late as Galaxy Quest was - the “PG-13” version of that made it all the way to test screenings, and there are a few lines that are clearly dubbed to get the rating down, and a costume continuity issue caused by the removal of a scene.)

Edited by TServo2049

Hopefully this film will have a more reasonable story/budget than the first one (Will Smith sitting this one out saves about $20 million already, and I can't see Idris Elba getting even half that for his salary).

3 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Hopefully this film will have a more reasonable story/budget than the first one (Will Smith sitting this one out saves about $20 million already, and I can't see Idris Elba getting even half that for his salary).

First one was rumored on the cheap side for a super hero movie, Will Smith previous SH movie Hancock was around 200 million net in 2019 dollar.

45 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I just really don't think a December release would hurt this that much. I think whatever effect the "season" has on it, will be offset by the weekday holds.

Avatar 2's been delayed a year-it could fit in and do well (Spielberg's West Side Story and Croods 2 are the only films there right now).

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

First one was rumored on the cheap side for a super hero movie, Will Smith previous SH movie Hancock was around 200 million net in 2019 dollar.

The first one was $175 million, which is slightly below the average MCU/DCEU budget (it kinda shows a little too).

I still think it's a little too much to spend on what is essentially The Supervillain Dirty Dozen. Warner could've probably saved a couple of million (and maybe make just as much) just by cutting the Enchantress out and going for something like that.

This would bomb hard if it wasnt for Gunn directing. I just dont see the general audience giving Suicide Squad another chance. We will see if Gunn fans/MCU fans going to this to support him.

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Ugh. I completely forgot that abomination is rumored to be in this movie. God, I hate that character. 

It’s disappointing to hear people who dislike/hate Harley, solely because of her portrayal in Suicide Squad. I’m not disappointed in you, I’m disappointed in the people making the movies. I loved the Harley Quinn character in the 90s cartoons. I just don’t care for the modern “Daddy’s Little Monster” Hot Topic Harley. The character deserves better.

Edited by TServo2049

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Ugh. I completely forgot that abomination is rumored to be in this movie. God, I hate that character. 

James Gunn is a better writer than David Ayer.

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

It’s disappointing to hear that, because I loved the Harley Quinn character in the 90s cartoons. I just don’t care for the modern “Daddy’s Little Monster” Hot Topic Harley. The character deserves better.

She was garbage in the 90s cartoons as well. She served no purpose beyond being the Joker’s obnoxious trophy wife and an occasional gal pal to Poison Ivy. I keep hearing people say that she makes the Joker a more compelling character, and it just baffles me. How does making the Joker a domestic abuser in anyway make him more compelling? Oh, and I’m not a feminist, but the character’s entire existence seems rather misogynistic, especially in the original Mad Love comic, where it was established that she only made it as far as she did in life because she did the nasty with her college professors. 

She was easily the worst part of the DCAU, and I don’t even particularly like that setting. 

Could put Dune in December and give its pre-Thanksgiving slot to this. Dune feels like a much more appropriate Christmas release except that it's not necessarily likely to be huge. Regardless, this'll make bank no matter where it opens.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

except that it's not necessarily likely to be huge

My heart wants to say your wrong, and that Dune will be the next billion dollar hit... but my brain agrees.

I imagine it could pull off a Tron Legacy kinda run. It'd leave that December without a truly massive tentpole but a little more room to breathe never hurt anybody. But this is premature talk anyway.

29 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Could put Dune in December and give its pre-Thanksgiving slot to this. Dune feels like a much more appropriate Christmas release except that it's not necessarily likely to be huge. Regardless, this'll make bank no matter where it opens.

Dune seems the sort of thing that could get completely crushed at a busy Christmas, In The Heart of the Sea style.

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Dune seems the sort of thing that could get completely crushed at a busy Christmas, In The Heart of the Sea style.

Busy Christmas? Cruella? Unless something from the summer gets delayed, it's completely empty right now. Maybe Masters of The Universe, but that sounds like bomb city.