grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

4 hours ago, dmatrixfilm1715 said:

Could always do the numbers Fantastic Four was forecasted to put up in August. 

4,000+ venues, 45 OW / 125 domestic.

Seems to be gearing for 20-30 OW range, in line with

Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim, Maze Runner, Skyscraper, Peter Rabbit & Insidious, but under Rampage and Wrinkle in Time.  

Maybe they will do a last minute horror extravaganza push and get this one to do 50/125.  

I think it’s gearing for an opening closer to $15m 

I really don’t know why people are underestimating this film. I have no idea if it’s actually good or bad (I haven’t seen it obviously) but that’s not the point when it comes to a film like this.  

I mean The Shallows was literally Blake Lively fighting a shark in a wet bikini and that made $50M+ domestic and $100M+ WW. The Meg is literally that movie on steroids times a million from the looks of it. I mean if Jason Statham had manned up and wore a bikini too, we could be adding $10M+ to the domestic total just based on that. 

People love their shark movies. Especially shark movies that know just how fucking ridiculous they’re being. Those are the ones that actually make the money at the box office. I don’t see why this would be any different. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I really don’t know why people are underestimating this film. I have no idea if it’s actually good or bad (I haven’t seen it obviously) but that’s not the point when it comes to a film like this.  

I mean The Shallows was literally Blake Lively fighting a shark in a wet bikini and that made $50M+ domestic and $100M+ WW. The Meg is literally that movie on steroids times a million from the looks of it. I mean if Jason Statham had manned up and wore a bikini too, we could be adding $10M+ to the domestic total just based on that. 

People love their shark movies. Especially shark movies that know just how fucking ridiculous they’re being. Those are the ones that actually make the money at the box office. I don’t see why this would be any different. 

The difference between this and The Shallows is that this movie carries a budget six times of that movie (and WB's marketing campaign for it hasn't been all that big for a film so pricey) so even if it made $10M more than The Shallows did it would still qualify as a massive bomb unless overseas really comes to the rescue.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The difference between this and The Shallows is that this movie carries a budget six times of that movie (and WB's marketing campaign for it hasn't been all that big for a film so pricey) so even if it made $10M more than The Shallows did it would still qualify as a massive bomb unless overseas really comes to the rescue.

How much is the budget on this thing? :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$150M (maybe more), reportedly.

:hahaha:

Never mind. Good fucking bye to this movie. Stick a fork in it. $150M budget? This needs to make CBM type of money in order to be successful. I thought it would be good with $100M domestic and like $250M OS for $350M WW but nope. I guess that’s what happens when your lead needs other people and explosions to get the job done :ph34r: Should have just gotten Lively to fight The Meg off a boat this time instead of a rock. A flare gun is all she needed 

tenor.gif?itemid=5650444

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Piranha knew how ridiculous was, had loads of advertising, certified fresh on RT and made $25m. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Never mind. Good fucking bye to this movie. Stick a fork in it. $150M budget? This needs to make CBM type of money in order to be successful. I thought it would be good with $100M domestic and like $250M OS for $350M WW but nope. I guess that’s what happens when your lead needs other people and explosions to get the job done :ph34r: Should have just gotten Lively to fight The Meg off a boat this time instead of a rock. A flare gun is all she needed 

tenor.gif?itemid=5650444

It’s a Chinese co production, so the budget doesn’t only lie with WB. 

It would still be fine with $300m actually lol. 

But I don’t see it getting there. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5650444

If only @CJohn were still here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2017 at 11:36 PM, IN BKB WE TRUST said:

Seriously, folks can laugh and scoff at 150M OW Now, but next August, people will definitely be onboard for this.. We need something like this and have needed something like this for a long time.. You'll see.. ;)

Wonder if he still feels as confident? 

3 hours ago, Nova said:

Every movie with Jason Statham starring has opened to $16,000,000 or less while having grossed $43,000,000 or less. Shark movies (excluding Jaws from totally different times) are without a history of performing all that great. Blake Lively has a big following of young women who propelled her movie to that number. Jason Statham has nothing but a terrible box office history and a movie that appears to belong on the SyFy station or wherever. People watch those so-terrible-they-are-great shark action movies at home on SyFy, not in theaters. The movie has all of the signs of being their next King Arthur or Geostorm, which happen to be Warner Brothers properties, and the $30,000,000 opening weekend projections are outrageous to the max.