grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

15 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

It’s REPORTED to cost $150 million. Tomb Raider was reported to cost $180 million it turned out it cost $94 million. I think this movie is closer to Tomb Raider’s budget.

After a bit of google I cannot find any metion of a 180m budget for Tomb Raider, was it reported in a serious trade by someone signing the article ? That would be quite different than who was talking about a 150m budget for The Meg.

The Meg is cheaper than Deepwater Horizons by 6m and a long list of water movie budget after all, not that surprising.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

After a bit of google I cannot find any metion of a 180m budget for Tomb Raider, was it reported in a serious trade by someone signing the article ? That would be quite different than who was talking about a 150m budget for The Meg.

The Meg is cheaper than Deepwater Horizons by 6m and a long list of water movie budget after all, not that surprising.

It was on Wikipedia for like a year. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

It was on Wikipedia for like a year. 

Wikipedia is not a source itself (the page under it matter here), it was not necessarily being reported because someone wrote it on wiki (could not find it with my very limited wikipedia page history search skills), 

11 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

This film doesn't look cheap, but 180M for a Statham film? Pump the brakes with the hyperbole.

Rumors are 150m I think, not 180m and that could be gross and not massaged down.

Movies around that budget:

Fantastic Four: 154.78m (162m now)

Terminator genesis: 158m (166m now)

Deepwater Horizon: 156m (163m now)

GI Joe 2: 155m (165m now)

Tom Cruise Oblivion: 160m

Logan: 126.5m (131.24m in 2018 dollar)

Total recall/White house down were above 150m dollar net back in the days.

More expensive example:

Dawn of the planet of the apes: 235.33m (247.22m now)

BattleShip: 215m

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Rumors are 150m I think, not 180m and that could be gross and not massaged down.

Movies around that budget:

Fantastic Four: 154.78m (162m now)

Terminator genesis: 158m (166m now)

Deepwater Horizon: 156m (163m now)

GI Joe 2: 155m (165m now)

Tom Cruise Oblivion: 160m

Logan: 126.5m (131.24m in 2018 dollar)

Total recall/White house down were above 150m dollar net back in the days.

More expensive example:

Dawn of the planet of the apes: 235.33m (247.22m now)

BattleShip: 215m

Regardless, this looks like a multifaceted international production. Solid trailer. Budget spread across the board. I'm optimistic about the outcome for now.

4 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Regardless, this looks like a multifaceted international production. Solid trailer. Budget spread across the board. I'm optimistic about the outcome for now.

Yes, I doubt a studio would have done something like that (like I doubt a studio would have done Valerian like that or Blade Runner at that budget), a Chinesse co-production and one that is a bit of an excuse to construct a new studio space with the help of New Zealand and so on..... a bunch of big entity spending 50-70m each I imagine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barnack said:

Wikipedia is not a source itself (the page under it matter here), it was not necessarily being reported because someone wrote it on wiki (could not find it with my very limited wikipedia page history search skills), 

Wikipedia is a good source for many things but film pre-release budget rumours, it's not.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:52 PM, TLK said:

I'm gonna watch it for sure but why did this cost $150 million+? It looks barely a step above low budget movies like 47 Meters Down.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:57 PM, Yandereprime101189 said:

Probably the massive amounts of CGI. 

I mean 47 Meters Down didn't have giant underwater labs, an 80 foot shark, and carnage on that grand scale. 47 Meters Down was 75% set in a cage.

Gosh, the IMPACT 47 Meters Scalp has on y'all that you keep talking!

Claire and Mandy TRULY WON.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, November Treejax said:

Wikipedia is a good source for many things but film pre-release budget rumours, it's not.

A good place to look for sources, it is usually not a source in itself (they will be at the bottom of the wiki page)

Yes but it's also a good source in itself, most of the time it is reliable and informative and correct. Pretty sure studies have found that it's more accurate than authored encyclopedias and has fewer errors. 

5 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

Yes but it's also a good source in itself, most of the time it is reliable and informative and correct. Pretty sure studies have found that it's more accurate than authored encyclopedias and has fewer errors. 

Yes it is a good aggregate of sources (much better for budget than box office mojo in general but not when the budget source is box office mojo on the wiki page obviously).

That budget 180m wrote on wikipedia is has good has it source fund at the bottom of the wiki page, for a page like that (low activity, just a movie a long time in advance, etc...) being on wikipedia or imdb does not mean much.

• Like 1