K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

will ANT-MAN flop harder then Incredible Hulk as far as Marvel films go?

will Micheal Douglas and his star power help?

this most likely will be one of the last Micheal Douglas films due to his health.

Edited by Mitch

Are you serious? BVS has been a social media monster form day one. Batman is the most popular character in the country. TDKR with 3D, inflation, and no shooting opens to over $220 million no doubt while TDK remains the most popular young adult film of the 21st century. The next Batfilm was going to have a huge chance at breaking the record due the characters enormous popularity. Add in Superman and the novelty of the concept? Be serious. WB will have to really fuck up for it to not break the record. They've already chosen a PERFECT release date. Assuming advertising and quality delivers, BVS will open to an amount which won't be matched for a while.

And HELL FUCKING NO to Avengers 4. The series willbe beyond played out at that point in time. Avengers 1 was clearly it's peak. AGE OF ULTRON was coming off the incredible word of mouth of AVENGERS 1 and TWS and still only opened to what it did.

I just don't see BvS doing it. I believe in a big 160-180M OW, but not 207M.

Are you serious? BVS has been a social media monster form day one. Batman is the most popular character in the country. TDKR with 3D, inflation, and no shooting opens to over $220 million no doubt while TDK remains the most popular young adult film of the 21st century. The next Batfilm was going to have a huge chance at breaking the record due the characters enormous popularity. Add in Superman and the novelty of the concept? Be serious. WB will have to really fuck up for it to not break the record. They've already chosen a PERFECT release date. Assuming advertising and quality delivers, BVS will open to an amount which won't be matched for a while.

And HELL FUCKING NO to Avengers 4. The series willbe beyond played out at that point in time. Avengers 1 was clearly it's peak. AGE OF ULTRON was coming off the incredible word of mouth of AVENGERS 1 and TWS and still only opened to what it did.

will Micheal Douglas and his star power help?

this most likely will be one of the last Micheal Douglas films due to his health.

No to the first two and probably no to the last. Marvel is nowhere near what it was 7 years ago.

MOS wasn't nearly as well received as TDK and Batman is completely restarting here.

I don't see BvS being a record breaker. Man of Steel had a mixed reception, and Batman has been recast, and the movie isn't being directed by Nolan. I think it will do very well, but I would be shocked if it opens above 200 million. The only movie I think has that chance is SW7, and that is only because it's a sequel to the original three movies and includes a lot of the original actors. But, I think breaking 200 million for any movie is wildly difficult no matter how big the buzz is before hand.

MOS wasn't nearly as well received as TDK and Batman is completely restarting here.

It will completely depend on WB's final marketing pitch leading up to release. Late February through Easter looks like it will have good performers but no major breakouts on a large scale, Zootopia will probably be the biggest performer in that period. If the marketing campaign can drum up enough interest, I can see the March OW, but that is about as high as I think it will open.

I think there is too much good will for this to happen and A LOT of eyeballs just saw a really fun 6 minute preview before the IMAX JW showings. It was well received at the showing I just attended.

On another note, Jurassic World REALLY delivers. It plays like an ultimate summer-popcorn-blockbuster and it's just a damn good time at the movies. I heard the kind of cheers from the crowd that are usually reserved for rock concerts. Not exaggerating. A bad crowd can really kill a movie going experience, but a great crowd truly elevates it. This is the kind of movie giant screens were made for. 

• Like 1

I can believe BvS has a chance to take the record. It's got the novelty and the position to be the first event movie of 2016, a lot of people will be curious to see how Affleck does in the role, and we all know how effective WB's marketing can be when they're on. The only things I can see holding it back are the oppressively dark tone and being a really terrible movie, but it can't be much darker than TDK and I doubt it's gonna be bad enough for WOM to start hurting it during the weekend.

Batman V. Superman will break whatever the record is when it opens. That record will last a while though.

The opening record never lasts long. The record has been broken 23 times since Jaws in 1975, and no one has held it for more than 4.5 years. 

I could see the record going down a number of times in the next 3 years, sort of like what happened in 2006 to 2008. 

Edited by kswiston