K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

It will be an unexpected movie that breaks the OW once again like Avengers and (likely) JW.

Hmm, but nobody (well, not a lot of people) expects it, that's the thing. Most people are seriously underpredicting it, and most people are SERIOUSLY underestimating the appeal of DC's iconic superheroes together. Plus, lots of people are simply dismissing any chance of BVS or Justice League topping the OW record because they feel that audiences are getting tired of superheroes and because they think that Marvel has stolen DC's thunder as far as “WOW all of those heroes in the same movie!” However this is a whole 'nother universe and a whole ’nother gigantic set of fans, and this cannot be said enough: DC heroes (at least the “Holy Trinity” of Bats, Wondy, and Supes) are truly iconic on a global scale in a way that only Marvel's Spiderman is. We should not underestimate how audiences are thoroughly aware of and familiar with these characters....people from all walks of life, all ages, all gender persuasions and all social backgrounds know these characters. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the DC universe will have that OW record at some point.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

Hmm, but nobody (well, not a lot of people) expects it, that's the thing. Most people are seriously underpredicting it, and most people are SERIOUSLY underestimating the appeal of DC's iconic superheroes together. Plus, lots of people are simply dismissing any chance of BVS or Justice League topping the OW record because they feel that audiences are getting tired of superheroes and because they think that Marvel has stolen DC's thunder as far as “WOW all of those heroes in the same movie!” However this is a whole 'nother universe and a whole ’nother gigantic set of fans, and this cannot be said enough: DC heroes (at least the “Holy Trinity” of Bats, Wondy, and Supes) are truly iconic on a global scale in a way that only Marvel's Spiderman is. We should not underestimate how audiences are thoroughly aware of and familiar with these characters....people from all walks of life, all ages, all gender persuasions and all social backgrounds know these characters. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the DC universe will have that OW record at some point.

I agree it's possible, but if one of These do it, I think it's gonna be Bats vs Supes. Let's be honest, from the general audience nobody is gonna see a JL movie for The Flash or Green Lantern. They're gonna see it for the Trinity and since that will already appear in BvS, I wouldn't be surprised at all if BvS has a bigger opening than JL.

• Like 1

What are the odds of the official estimates coming in one way and actuals coming in the other?

I mean either Universal underpredicts (no record) and it ends up over 207, or they say over and it ends up below.

Although people have said Universal usually plays cautious so I guess it's more likely that they won't claim the record unless they're absolutely sure.

Edited by JennaJ

What are the odds of the official estimates coming in one way and actuals coming in the other?

I mean either Universal underpredicts (no record) and it ends up over 207, or they say over and it ends up below.

Although people have said Universal usually plays cautious so I guess it's more likely that they won't claim the record unless they're absolutely sure.

Universal may lowball it.

Universal may lowball it.

So then we could have all the headline say it didn't get the record for a couple of days, then it actually gets it and a whole new wave of headlines.

How much lower were the Avengers estimates than actuals?

So then we could have all the headline say it didn't get the record for a couple of days, then it actually gets it and a whole new wave of headlines.

I don't know about the Avengers, but the last thing Universal wants is to claim a record and then get egg on their face.

Monday Update: Early reports from Disney put the domestic weekend total at $207.1 million based on a $56.8 million estimate for Sunday. The final number will be released later today.

Sunday Update: Wow! Disney reports that The Avengers will take in $200.3 million domestically during its debut frame. That shatters the previous opening-weekend record of $169.2 million set by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II.

Saturday Update: With $80.5 million in the bank on Friday, The Avengers is poised to top the $169.2 million opening weekend record set by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 last July. We are projecting $185 million by the end of the weekend.

Friday Update: Disney reports that The Avengers made $18.7 million from midnight showsgiving it the 8th best midnight debut of all time. That compares favorably to the $7.5 million midnight gross that Iron Man 2 managed in 2010. Iron Man 2 went on to gross $128 million during its debut frame. Avengers' midnight haul also tops the $18.5 million debut of The Dark Knight in 2008.

Hmmm, this will be a lot closer to the previous record than Avengers was. So basically I think right now Universal won't claim a record and it will only be revealed (or not) with actuals.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1