K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Ok, here's how it works.

RTH works for a company that allows him to track the box office in real time.  He has real numbers.  When I met with him t TIFF last year, he pulled out his laptop and could tell me up to the minute how much a film made in any city or any market.  AT ANY TIME.  So there is no doubting RTH.  He is about 3 or 4 levels above Deadline and Nikki and anyone else who gets their numbers from sources.  RTH is the source.

When Saturday's dollars are finished being counted, studios then make a Sunday prognostication based on history, similar films, the time of year and so on.  This is why Universal is making a prediction for a big drop on Sunday, because they are being conservative.  RTH says it is at 153 mill so far.  So Universal gives it a 25% drop on Sunday and that gives them headlines saying it made more than 200 mill...pretty nice headline.  Then if it drops less on Sunday than they estimated, they break the OW record and create more headlines.

That's how the weekend numbers work around here.  RTH is God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Hari Krishna and so on.  In RTH we trust.

Just bumping this for those who are asking again.

As for the official estimates, yes they come from the studios.

• Like 3

RTH is the pedestal.  You are seriously not giving him any credit.  And you really have no idea what he does and how he gets his numbers.  So until you do, my suggestion is you do not speak about what you do not know.

lol

I know he's got access to numbers. That's all i need to know. Doesn't make him a messiah.

It's seriously creepy how much worship he gets around here...

I have said i appreciated him posting numbers a couple times. That needs to suffice.

We owe a lot from rth. Don't you notice, weekend threads here become a bore every time he doesn't update?

Yea, only do do birds try to discount what he does and how he does it.

No kids left my show. They were all pretty excited. And the parents. You could see in their faces. They were really happy to be seeing a sequel to one of their favorite movies ever with their children. 

I do have to say that there are a few strong scenes.

The death of BDH's assistant is brutal. And I jumped when BDH was driving the truck the Raptor breaks through the window.

The film was scaring both adults and children in my showing. My mum who was sitting next to me was seriously scared and uncomfortable, which is a great reaction for a 12A/PG13 popcorn blockbuster, imo.

I'm glad it is scaring people: CGI can do anything these days and people seem to be less moved/affected by CGI. It shows how well the effects are used, when it's causing this reaction in some people.

Wake up see a massive 204 estimate JW truly has shocked me more then any other BO opening weekend I have ever witnessed. Cannot believe how hide this movie is. Couldn't be happier.

Oh, you could be happier. Wait for actuals.

lol

I know he's got access to numbers. That's all i need to know. Doesn't make him a messiah.

It's seriously creepy how much worship he gets around here...

I have said i appreciated him posting numbers a couple times. That needs to suffice.

It's a fucking box office site.  Of course we worship someone who gives us hard numbers.  DUH.  

• Like 2

Biggest box office surprise ever? Um, I don't think so. It's not even the biggest box office surprise this year.

Yes "Furious 7" OS was a Big Box Office Surprise.  No Doubt.  But come on, Tracking was like 80 Million off for this.   That's why it's such a big surprise.  We are talking 110-125 Tracking.   

• Like 1

One question : the estimates from a movie come from the producer studio itself?

Yes. It's actually one of the reasons why box office data is so public compared to music or home video or video games.

The film was scaring both adults and children in my showing. My mum who was sitting next to me was seriously scared and uncomfortable, which is a great reaction for a 12A/PG13 popcorn blockbuster, imo.

I'm glad it is scaring people: CGI can do anything these days and people seem to be less moved/affected by CGI. It shows how well the effects are used, when it's causing this reaction in some people.

Your crowd was a failure in courage.

There's a scene where

the Irex chases the two kids and they jump off the cliff.  The Irex just misses them

.  That scene made me jump.  

If I was a kid (under 8), the part that would have really shit me up would have been

When they think I-Rex has escaped the enclosure, but he's actually still in there. Then kills 2 of the 3 people.

Loved that scene.

• Like 3

Yeah lol I'm sure Marvel is so sad that the lead of one of their franchises (who they MADE into a big leading man) is more bankable than ever and has 4 films with them. Crying themselves to sleep.

I mean if Guardians did that good when Pratt wasn't a big star now that he is they're likely ecstatic about this.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1