abra

Wednesday Actuals: JW 19.9 [Not the PIXAR thread]

Pixar never lives up to the hype for me.

that's a bit unfair to say.

Pixar movies have a lot of originality, what is incredibly rare this days, they are very creative and entertaining, even if their movies doesn't say a lot to you, at least i think anyone can see that a lot of their movies are special, the only one i recall being just to sell toys are CARS2.

Pixar movies have a lot of originality, what is incredibly rare this days, they are very creative and entertaining, even if their movies doesn't say a lot to you, at least i think anyone can see that a lot of their movies are special, the only one i recall being just to sell toys are CARS2.

Most people don't go to the theatre to appreciate originality/ creativeness. They go for entertainment and Pixar haven't been as entertaining as they used to be.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

How can it be unfair when I am simply describing my personal experience with the films? They never live up to the hype for me. I didn't say anything about your experience or anyone else's experience.

No matter how highly praised they are, I never enjoy them as much as the critics or audience seem to. The original Toy Story and Finding Nemo are the only two that I've genuinely loved. I liked Toy Story 3 but didn't love it. I liked Ratatouille but didn't love it. And so on.

• Like 1

I've yet to hear one person say Inside Out isn't entertaining nor hilarious. It's an animated tentpole, not Ingmar Bergman.

I didn't hear one person say Wall E was a big pile of shit but look how that turned out. I'll judge when I see it.

No need to excuse yourself for a studio/filmmaker not living up to the hype. Just this year Fury Road, Ex Machina and It Follows didn't touch their respective hype for me. All good enough and well constructed. But, all readily forgotten too. To each his/her own.

Pixar doesn't always match the hype for me either. WALL-E, Ratatouille and Up did. The others with seemingly universal admiration fell somewhat short.

Spaghetti, I didn't say I dislike Pixar. I said it doesn't live up to the hype for me. Those are two very different things. A good, not great movie (which is what Pixar consistently does IMHO) is a long way from outright disliking it, which would be the case for me with something like the Transformers franchise.

Pixar definitely has some overrated films (Up, Toy Story 3) but they have plenty of damn straight masterpieces ( Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Monster's inc., The incredibles, Toy Story 2, Cars) They only have two turds to date and those are Brave and the unspeakably bad Cars 2

• Like 1

Spaghetti, I didn't say I dislike Pixar. I said it doesn't live up to the hype for me. Those are two very different things. A good, not great movie (which is what Pixar consistently does IMHO) is a long way from outright disliking it, which would be the case for me with something like the Transformers franchise.

I was speaking in general terms. You're good, mate. ;)

The overwhelmingly gushing buzz for Inside Out has me already forgetting I even saw Jurassic World. Can't wait to see it tonight.

Is this just in the US? I haven't even seen a single poster of Inside Out here in Dubai. Nothing on the news either. Nobody I know has ever heard of this movie and Dubai usually has sell outs on opening night/weekend for big movies such as TDK, AOU, F7 and JW. From what I see I can say the anticipation or awareness level for this movie outside the west is effectively zero. JW is going to crush it overseas.

How can it be unfair when I am simply describing my personal experience with the films? They never live up to the hype for me. I didn't say anything about your experience or anyone else's experience.

No matter how highly praised they are, I never enjoy them as much as the critics or audience seem to. The original Toy Story and Finding Nemo are the only two that I've genuinely loved. I liked Toy Story 3 but didn't love it. I liked Ratatouille but didn't love it. And so on.

well we are kinda in the same boat! i loved toy story and nemo too, and monsters inc and incredibles at their times! this 4 are my favourites

for example i don't have patience to watch wall-e, up, ratatouille anymore,  but they are very good movies too

brave and monsters uni. was a bit meh, and cars2 was just a marketing campaign for toys.

but i think pixar is a great brand in general

Is this just in the US? I haven't even seen a single poster of Inside Out here in Dubai. Nothing on the news either. Nobody I know has ever heard of this movie and Dubai usually has sell outs on opening night/weekend for big movies such as TDK, AOU, F7 and JW. From what I see I can say the anticipation or awareness level for this movie outside the west is effectively zero. JW is going to crush it overseas.

I'm surprised to hear that, but regardless I knew either way JW was going to crush it WW.

:)

I find all pixar movies to be massively overrated, and im still bitter af that toy story 3 won best animated oscar over httyd, which was definitely the superior film <_<

Edited by pepper83
  • Like 2

The only Pixar film I disliked is Cars 2. I liked the first Cars but it also failed to really connect with me. Other than those two, I love every other Pixar movie and I rewatch all of them regularly.

I do not live in the US but in Spain there's a lot of hype for IO. I am sure it's going to open really well here