#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Not gonna lie, while i'm happy for IO, I really, really want JW to come out on top. So I will be doing my part to stall IO's numbers for a bit...

giphy.gif

...and rushing back to the theater to help keep JW's numbers up!

costanza-fire-o.gif

• Like 1

Two completely stunning weekends in a row (although IO not nearly to the same degree as JW's OW.)

This reflects well on my Peak Comic Book Movie theory.  The zeitgeist has turned over.

Ant-Man, BvS, even CW are all going to be hits, sure....but underwhelming ones.

Unlikely dawg, but if BvS opens under 170m, maybe I'll believe the CBM dominance is beginning to end.  I'd love for it to be over(especially right before Marvel and DC announced a decade long lineup), but don't overestimate the rank and file moviegoer.

• Like 1

I think this is the clearest example of reviews helping sway audiences. People saw the 99% Rotten Tomatoes and knew that the Pixar they'd probably skipped out on for a few years was back and a quality film was playing.

• Like 4

But you just claimed that you weret sure of its popularity because of one little girl who wasnt interested. Until i see some concrete evidence proving otherwise, im going to assume alarge majority of little kids out there and adults too, love those yellow critters.

Right, I'm unsure that it is as popular as we think. But I don't think theme park ride is the right comparison since lines for most attractions are long since it's not directly correlated with the minions popularity.

I don't have a thesis on hand to explain why I consider the Minions to be the biggest driving factor for today's animation, so we'll just have to end it here. I think that they're incredibly irritating, designed to be as simple and appealing as possible, without insulting anyone, and I think it's annoying is all  :P

Disney and especially Pixar's movies really aren't any less sophisticated than the foreign animated movies. WALL-E and Frozen are at the same level as Miyazaki's films IMO (but let's see Stanton and Jen Lee direct ten movies and have them all be as great.)

Ok. IMO they aren't (specially the Disney one), 'cause in other countries (not only Ghibli's) they usually take much more risks in regards of storyelling, narratives, and of course, animation style.

In the Annecy annual animation festival (for example) there also are a lot of wonderful and diverse animations movies/short movies :wub:

I think this is the clearest example of reviews helping sway audiences. People saw the 99% Rotten Tomatoes and knew that the Pixar they'd probably skipped out on for a few years was back and a quality film was playing.

Furiosa gives you a menacing look right now.

• Like 1

This plus Mad Max over performing absolutely prove reviews make a difference.

• Like 1

I am an example of MM:FR's reviews.

• Like 1

Holy mother fucking shit. Inside Out Friday number! This will be a huge OW. Jurassic World number is also insane.  120m+ OW

Whoa I wouldn't go that far 100 + maybe 105 but 120? Unless we are talking about both films combined

Ok. IMO they aren't (specially the Disney one), 'cause in other countries (not only Ghibli's) they usually take much more risks in regards of storyelling, narratives, and of course, animation style.

In the Annecy annual animation festival (for example) there also are a lot of wonderful and diverse animations movies/short movies :wub:

Really? So WALL-E having a first act with virtually no dialogue wasn't risky? Frozen having two female leads wasn't risky?