#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Excel really deserves a lot of credit for his call after seeing it on Thursday night before the opening. He said it was a big time crowd pleaser and would break the record plus have stronger legs than expected from that point. Seems to be coming true on all fronts. Gotta give him credit for recognizing the film's ability to please the average Joe.

Lol, he's the Kal of Jurassic World.

Travod...remember that time you doubted it would even do 130-135 million?

The legs are good. It's already pulled a 3x multiplier in an era where it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so. PP2 opened over 50% higher than Mad Max, of course it should be outgrossing Mad Max. Avengers 3rd weekend wasn't that far behind Max and since it's deeper into the run, the legs usually hold up better.

PP2 had widened the gap as of late.

PP2 had widened the gap as of late.

Pretty much thanks to Jurassic World, while Mad Max loses theaters. I assume Universal has something going on between the two. It helps to be in 700 theaters more than Mad Max.

Edited by MrPink

These last two weeks have single handedly made moviegoing fashionable again Can't really agree with this, not to nitpick but why would grossing a lot of $ from 1,2 movies make going "fashionable?"
It's been awhile since this many records have been broken in such short time, at least from what I can remember.

Don't worry, Mad Max did great considering its r-rated and doesn't exactly appeal to the masses. I was expecting a 100m finish. 

Not sure why it dropped so many theaters the theater PER. AVG. week after week has been AMAZING

Just unbelievable.  What a fun two weeks here.  Feels like some of the glory days at BOM.  

We get potentially highest 2nd weekend and highest film to not open at number 1 in the same weekend.  And both are over 90 million.  W. T. F.

The fact that two movies can exist at that level and not cannibalize each other is something completely new to the box office and that's exciting.  And while JW isn't playing strictly like a family film, there is DEFINITELY crossover appeal for families, so that makes it even more impressive.  

Hot damn.

Edited by RyneOh1040

Sorta, but he was very skeptical of it especially with the embargo. Kal was predicting enormous numbers for stuff like Superman Returns and Avatar years before he ever saw them, ha.

Excel goes loonie for Superman too, and Batman. lol. Wait til Batman v Superman rolls around

• Like 1

Pretty much thanks to Jurassic World, while Mad Max loses theaters. I assume Universal has something going on between the two. It helps to be in 700 theaters more than Mad Max.

PP2 has double features with JW, and it got good spillover last weekend.

Just unbelievable.  What a fun two weeks here.  Feels like some of the glory days at BOM.  

We get potentially highest 2nd weekend and highest film to not open at number 1 in the same weekend.  And both are over 90 million.  W. T. F.

Correction, both are over 95. ;):D

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2015 only half done & already we have 5 films set to break $350M domestic. All of last yr we had grand total of zero.

— Gitesh Pandya (@giteshpandya) June 21, 2015

Don't even have Mockingjay or Star Wars yet. Star Wars in particular I think will be massive. 

Maybe Spectre. Maybe. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ

I just feel Godzilla had one of the most misleading marketing campaigns ever and the film didn't deliver on the promise of the marketing. Judging by that rubbish multiplier it seems a lot of people agreed with me, but the marketing worked to suck everyone into a movie on opening weekend that should have really been titled MUTO.

If we judge by the outcome, that's actually one of the best marketing campaigns. WB definitely saw the value of that kind of long-talk trailer so they used the same formula on BvS 2nd trailer.

Guys, I really miss Harry Potter. Box office has never been the same since it ended. :(

I miss Harry, Ron, and Hermione so much. 

tumblr_lfkz9dlFNB1qg4yquo1_500.png

Nothing will ever top the BOM days with Potter.  Just so much fun.  Will never forget it and how I almost passed out from the adrenaline rush I got from HP7 Part 2 midnight number.

• Like 1