#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Oh I hadn't realized Avatar did $760M DBO. I thought it was around $700M. 

JW will be at $600M+ after the July 4th weekend. 

After that it will keep playing strongly for the rest of the Summer but I don't think it will have enough gas in its tank for another ~$160M. 

Edited by Boogie Nights

6TH UPDATE, Sunday 12:10AM: Saturday’s business for JW is looking to be up 34% with an industry average of $38.9M vs. Friday’s $29.1M. The Universal/Legendary franchise title will likely fall 15% on Sunday. By E.O.D. Sunday, it appears that JW will be within a whisper of $400M with $397M-$399M. As we mentioned previously, even if JW hits $400M on Monday, it will still beat Avengers as the fastest film to that mark.

IO slipped an estimated 7% today from its $34.3M Friday with about $31.8M. Everyone but Disney is seeing this film with a $90M+ weekend.  They think it’s in a mid-to-high $80M range and frankly for IO to do that number, it would need to fall off a cliff  tomorrow, and given the holiday and the Pixar pic’s pace — that just ain’t gonna happen.    

Oh I hadn't realized Avatar did $760M DBO. I thought it was around $700M.

JW will be at $600M+ after the July 4th weekend.

After that it will keep playing strongly for the rest of the Summer but I don't think it will have enough gas in its tank for another ~$160M.

Unless it gets re-released in theaters wide.

TA2 became TASM2 on a larger scale. Cap 2 and DOFP did something similar to TASM2 last year as Furious 7 and JW did to TA2.

Next year

March: B v S

Early May: CA3

Late May: XM:A

History repeats itself?

6TH UPDATE, Sunday 12:10AM: Saturday’s business for JW is looking to be up 34% with an industry average of $38.9M vs. Friday’s $29.1M. The Universal/Legendary franchise title will likely fall 15% on Sunday. By E.O.D. Sunday, it appears that JW will be within a whisper of $400M with $397M-$399M. As we mentioned previously, even if JW hits $400M on Monday, it will still beat Avengers as the fastest film to that mark.

IO slipped an estimated 7% today from its $34.3M Friday with about $31.8M. Everyone but Disney is seeing this film with a $90M+ weekend.  They think it’s in a mid-to-high $80M range and frankly for IO to do that number, it would need to fall off a cliff  tomorrow, and given the holiday and the Pixar pic’s pace — that just ain’t gonna happen.    

Can Rth confirm if these are more accurate than his previous estimates?

blasphemy, rth's 40-42 must be right!

EW apparently have published the list of Average OW's as a leading man for actors. Admittedly, it is skewed badly 

EW said they got this list from BOM, but I couldn't figure out how to get it from there.  Numbers are in millions of dollars.

1. Chris Pratt $149.5
2. Robert Downey, Jr. $69.8
3. Christian Bale $54.9
4. Johnny Depp $46.3
5. Will Smith $42.5
6. Daniel Craig $37.1
7. Brad Pitt $33.1
8. Tom Cruise $33.1
9. Channing Tatum $30.8
10. Dwayne Johnson $24.1

Edited by grim22

This says Rth is wrong (in who do we trust?) and seems dubious of any Father's Day bump for JW.

Deadline kept understating JW's OW (not out of any noticeable animosity or pessimism, though) and I'm hoping they did so here, too.

Also remember last week when everyone was like "Disneys gonna be so butthurt"?

Yeah, I was mocking IO, so I'll eat crow, once again.  I thought Pixar brand was washed out after some of their other mediocrities, and Brave was the final straw.  I was wrong.