#ED

Weekend Actuals: Inside Out - 90.44M | Jurassic World - 106.59M

The DavidBrennan saga always takes a turn for the controversial no matter how many stints.

Looks like we're about due.

I will trek out to Los Angeles in a dark suit and black armband.

If his family lets me into his funeral, I'll say I was wrong.  If they're sane and they keep the mourning for family and friends, then it proves the point.

James Horner, or Steven Spielberg, or Colin Trevorrow, or Chris Pratt, or Robin Williams, or Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson are total strangers.  We like the shit they sell, but they don't care about you, they don't even know you, and wouldn't want to know you. 

And it is well-established scentific theory that you don't care about them, either. 

Get in touch with reality.

Sure.  I'm doing the same.

Are you saying these people are actually emotionally devastated by a celebrity death?  Like, for real?

I don't really care if they are or not. If they felt some connection simply because they liked his music, or he worked on a movie they liked, that's fine.

Sure.  I'm doing the same.

Are you saying these people are actually emotionally devastated by a celebrity death?  Like, for real?

What's it matter if they are or not? Is it lowering your quality of life because of their comments?

• Like 1

Sure. I'm doing the same.

Are you saying these people are actually emotionally devastated by a celebrity death? Like, for real?

They're showing sympathy, not mourning.
  • Like 3

If his family lets me into his funeral, I'll say I was wrong.  If they're sane and they keep the mourning for family and friends, then it proves the point.

James Horner, or Steven Spielberg, or Colin Trevorrow, or Chris Pratt, or Robin Williams, or Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson are total strangers.  We like the shit they sell, but they don't care about you, they don't even know you, and wouldn't want to know you. 

And it is well-established scentific theory that you don't care about them, either. 

Why do care how people react to this. It does not affect you in anyway. Why are you so invested in it. 

I don't really care if they are or not. If they felt some connection simply because they liked his music, or he worked on a movie they liked, that's fine.

Totally agree.  But that's a materially different connection than the personal emotional bond than the poseurs claim they have.

I'm not happy when anybody dies - right now some great grandmother I've never met is dying in a Florida retirement home.  I recognize the sadness, but I'm not going to pretend to be personally devastated at it.

(In point of fact, when people ARE emotionally devastated, they seek solace in loved ones, not in Instagram selfies.)

Reality is a dark and dreary place.

I prefer the fantasy where my celebrity idols care about me, and vice versa. Go on, press the button, Sadness. Let's make a memory.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Why are you claiming people here are poseurs, though? You're automatically leaping a conclusion about them. I'm not sure why you're bringing up stuff like Instagram, that doesn't have anything to do with what people are saying here.

Because I've seen people pretending to cry over the death of Robin Williams in person.  It is painful to watch.

And because, as a man of science, I recognize the inherent impossibility in these poseur's outlandish claim of personal connection to tens of thousands of celebrity strangers.

I think you're getting worked up over nothing, David.

Unless a celebrity really made a personal impact on a person, most people won't feel bad about it for more than a few days. People are sad about the death of a famous person because they made something well liked. People will be sad that they died for a while, but sheet devastation doesn't truly last for so long.

At most, you're complaining about hyperbole.

• Like 2

It may not be the same as when someone you personally know dies, but when someone involved with treasured memories (to put it in Inside Out terms, possibly even core memories) dies, it hits a lot harder than the death of a random stranger.

Edited by Murgatroyd
  • Like 1