grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

The more I see of Mena Massoud the more perfect his casting is.

Naomi Scott was always fine for me while the first picture confirms that Marwan Kenzari is too handsome to be Jafar.

I just still can't handle Will Smith as the Genie. 

Still not feeling this and I think "Dumbo" will be the only Disney LA remake that I will pay for next year.

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lol at people who think that this dud is making Beauty and the Beast money. Disney didn't stick Beauty and the Beast in it's death slot for a reason. This film looks ridiculous and not in a good way. I would be stunned if this movie didn't disappoint.

LOL at people who are declaring this a dud 6 months before release. 

I think this will underperform domestically but blow up worldwide. Think Pirates 5. Aladdin is still loved OS and I do believe the area will be less crowded for it to breathe the domestic.

Something like say $250M domestic/$650M OS.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don’t really get the notion that the release date guarantees bomb or underperformer. Does anyone honestly think Tomorrowland, Alice 2 or Solo would’ve performed better at any other time?

Probably not, all of them were doomed from the start as they look uninteresting to the GA, Aladdin has the advantage of being a bit more interesting but Disney has put this in the middle of Avengers and TS4 marketing wise and I believe they’ll be more focused on the latter and they’ll have put a lot into the former. But that shouldn’t extremely hurt it.

The family slate of 2019 is what’s going to really hurt as the schedule is so damn crowded. I mean May has three family flicks in 4 weeks. Pets 2 and TS4, two sequels to loved animated movies open in between spitting distance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don’t really get the notion that the release date guarantees bomb or underperformer. Does anyone honestly think Tomorrowland, Alice 2 or Solo would’ve performed better at any other time?

Exactly! It's anecdotal. There's a recent correlation but no causation.

And I really wonder if Aladdin is really deserving all of the alleged hate this early based on a few set pics. There's too much groupthink due to online social media. When I saw Brie Larson as Captain Marvel I thought she looked terribly corny. But I am excited about Brie as Captain Marvel. 

But I am strange. Maybe I am just older and can appreciate things more than I could when I was younger. I liked Nutcracker, Crimes of Grindewald, and POTC5. I hated Alice2 and Wrinkle in Time though. I wasn't crazy about Thor Ragnorak. But I thought Black Panther and IW were two of the best movies that have come out in a LONG time, much better than TFA. But those are individual opinions not based on any social media. I think that social media has really hurt pop culture because people really feel like they have to follow the herd to avoid being insulted or shunned.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cookie said:

Yes, Solo would have performed much better in December - and most of the current  blockbusters would have moved away from the new Star Wars.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Yes, Solo would have performed much better in December - and most of the current  blockbusters would have moved away from the new Star Wars.

Solo had jack shit going against it in week 2 and still dropped 65%+, that’s not the kind of drop that suggests when a movie came out had anything to do with its floppage.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, cookie said:

Solo had jack shit going against it in week 2 and still dropped 65%+, that’s not the kind of drop that suggests when a movie came out had anything to do with its floppage.

Solo had a lot of problems to begin with, so I agree. The director was replaced in the middle of production, more than half of the film had to be reshot, and the first trailer for that film was released in April. Studios can't do that these days and expect hype and awareness to build for a blockbuster. Doesn't matter if it's part of the Star Wars brand or not.

Edited by NoobSaibot

2 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Solo had a lot of problems to begin with, so I agree. The director was replaced in the middle of production, more than half of the film had to be reshot, and the first trailer for that film was released in April. Studios can't do that these days and expect hype and awareness to build for a blockbuster. Doesn't matter if it's part of the Star Wars brand or not.

Solo was a movie no one asked for. Unsurprisingly it turned out to be largely forgettable for a lot of people. Personally I found it to be a shockingly neutral movie experience, but I didn't hate it or anything, so it probably didn't affect the Star Wars brand in any way. It just... exists.   

There’s no reason to think this is gonna flop

Domestically i don’t expect nothing huge but under $ 200M is just dumb... this will probably land between $ 250-300M which is good enough.

But OS will be huge, the brand is much bigger than BTAB was... even with the strong competition it has a good shot at +600M.

WW could be anywhere between $ 850-950M and i bet Disney will be happy.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s no reason to think this is gonna flop

Domestically i don’t expect nothing huge but under $ 200M is just dumb... this will probably land between $ 250-300M which is good enough.

But OS will be huge, the brand is much bigger than BTAB was... even with the strong competition it has a good shot at +600M.

WW could be anywhere between $ 850-950M and i bet Disney will be happy.

Agreed. It should easily clear $200 million domestic by the 2nd weekend.

That said, the early and unfounded toxic online talk either has to die down or it will corrode the film's potential. That is just where we are as a society. The film is already a massive target for hatred and that could cost it up to $100 million domestic and who knows how much WW. Will Smith's appearance on the cover is also damaging and they will have to repair the sentiment early in 2019 with a killer pic or trailer with Will as the Genie. People don't read and most people missed it when Will said he WILL be blue. 

But I do think that in 2019, due to Disney's near monopoly on the film industry, there will be a LOT of negative online wildfire with the exception of End Game which is immune.

And watch-it will happen with Lion King too. Just wait.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Agreed. It should easily clear $200 million domestic by the 2nd weekend.

That said, the early and unfounded toxic online talk either has to die down or it will corrode the film's potential. That is just where we are as a society. The film is already a massive target for hatred and that could cost it up to $100 million domestic and who knows how much WW. Will Smith's appearance on the cover is also damaging and they will have to repair the sentiment early in 2019 with a killer pic or trailer with Will as the Genie. People don't read and most people missed it when Will said he WILL be blue. 

But I do think that in 2019, due to Disney's near monopoly on the film industry, there will be a LOT of negative online wildfire with the exception of End Game which is immune.

And watch-it will happen with Lion King too. Just wait.

i agreed... but i don't think it will impact so much

20 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I remember when Solo was a lock to make 750+million. It's not Disney bias to predict that some of their films will under perform and flop.

almost nobody says 750M was a lock for Solo [i though it was make +300M domestically, but that's it]...

and comparing buzz and trailer numbers, Aladdin is doing MUCH better than Solo, like 3x better or more

also, Aladdin just needs a good trailer with a blue Will Smith [which is confirmed] and everybody will forget that horrible EW cover... i don't even think the backlash because of the cover is that relevant, majority of Aladdin target doesn't even care about it.

Edited by ThomasNicole

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

almost nobody says 750M was a lock for Solo [i though it was make +300M domestically, but that's it]...

and comparing buzz and trailer numbers, Aladdin is doing MUCH better than Solo, like 3x better or more

also, Aladdin just needs a good trailer with a blue Will Smith [which is confirmed] and everybody will forget that horrible EW cover... i don't even think the backlash because of the cover is that relevant, majority of Aladdin target doesn't even care about it.

You and I remember things very differently.