grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

14 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

The review embargo can be strange

However, Dumbo, Captain Marvel and Avengers all had their reviews pop up 2-3 days before release as well. Could just be a pattern for Disney this year. Disney doesn't tend to be the studio that hides a bad movie from the public like Sony or Lionsgate.

Heck, Warner's doing the same with Godzilla, its review embargo stops on the 28th I believe.

Captain Marvel screened for critics a few weeks in advance, though, and the social media embargo lifted then as well.

The reason for Avengers's later screenings were due to spoilers. There's nothing of value to spoil for Aladdin.

So it is arguably like Dumbo, which isn't promising. Possibly worse considering the big press aren't seeing it until Tuesday.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

How would Disney have known that Dumbo was doomed for bad reviews? Truthfully, the movie was actually pretty decent. Pretty good story. Slightly different from the original but not terribly so. Did they test screen it to a very negative audience? There's nothing to suggest that Disney didn't have decent confidence in Dumbo. I mean-if they feel THAT bad about a movie, then why would a studio let it get to that point? The logical answer is that they didn't think it was that bad and thus there's no link between the review embargo and confidence.

Aladdin, on the other hand, has been massacred by the internet this entire year. I could see them protecting it as long as they can since they anticipate negative reviews. That's just based on the social media hatred that the film has gotten. They probably feel like critics are prepared to pounce with their claws out. So it makes sense to delay that as long as possible.

58 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Aladdin, on the other hand, has been massacred by the internet this entire year. I could see them protecting it as long as they can since they anticipate negative reviews. That's just based on the social media hatred that the film has gotten. They probably feel like critics are prepared to pounce with their claws out. So it makes sense to delay that as long as possible.

Very well said. I agree 100%. Sometimes critics engage in these hate fests. It's actually getting good reviews and good ratings on letterboxd from the public

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Dumbo didn't do too good :(

Beauty and The Beast did 110 million in Japan in total, so if Japan really likes Aladdin maybe that could be it's saving grace in East Asia.