grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

22 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Uh huh. And how does that make Disney different from most other big studios and businesses? They can all do better and more. Using their racist past to suggest that current efforts are lazy just sets off my bs radar. 

It doesn’t. That’s exactly her point. Disney is a big corporation. They don’t care about social justice, except when it helps their bottom line. 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It doesn’t. That’s exactly her point. Disney is a big corporation. They don’t care about social justice, except when it helps their bottom line. 

Who didn't already know this? I'd say even most people who applaud what Disney is doing know that they are doing it because being "woke" sells. 

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Remember as the Mods say

NIRD 

it's just easier sometimes 

But you may like the discussion with that wall, so if that works, go for it 😛

• Knock It Off 1

20 minutes ago, 75Live said:

Remember as the Mods say

NIRD 

it's just easier sometimes 

But you may like the discussion with that wall, so if that works, go for it 😛

You would have been better off posting nothing because this is just corny. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

She actually did say that them identifying that there was some sort of problem in their work is a good start. She simply said that they’re doing it in a very cynical and focus tested sort of way. At no point did she ever say that diversity is a bad thing. In fact, she went out of her way to say that Disney could probably use more inclusion behind the scenes for their movies. Again, she criticized the fact that this movie has a white director.

That's just stupid. Any director would do great if they have the talent and respect for the material, they shouldn't be picked because of their race or gender.  

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

Eh, give him time. It'll work out. Enough people loved him in Aladdin.

Evidently not the casting directors. 

Although I’m not surprised. The cast usually have their next project line up and use their upcoming one as collateral. 

Maybe when people seen that Aladdin trailer they assumed it was going to bomb. 

3 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

not white looking + not really a good actor = 

Edited by aladdino
  • Knock It Off 1

• Community Manager
3 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I wonder if he's only trying to go for movie lead roles. If so, yeah he's not going to find many. If he's looking for any role regardless of size then I don't buy he can't get an audition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

I wonder if he's only trying to go for movie lead roles. If so, yeah he's not going to find many. If he's looking for any role regardless of size then I don't buy he can't get an audition.

It is really hard to know in details (is team could hide from him non paying opportunities he does not even know he got, you often have to go around actor agents to get them in a small role or big non paying one).

But it is somewhat possible, at least movie wise, the interview was around 2 month after Aladdin release, long time but not that long it was just a billion dollar movie and a lot of big roles are made with some archetype in mind.

2 hours ago, aladdino said:

not white looking + not really a good actor = 

If he was looking like Micheal B Jordan I doubt he would have much issue getting an interview.

Not looking like a classic lead (and publicly not wanting the stereotypical Arab looking roles) is probably the main factor, you do not necessarily need to be white, but to look like proven archetype (would it be Chris Pratt looking or Will Smith looking) certainly help.

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Barnack said:

It is really hard to know in details (is team could hide from him non paying opportunities he does not even know he got, you often have to go around actor agents to get them in a small role or big non paying one).

But it is somewhat possible, at least movie wise, the interview was around 2 month after Aladdin release, long time but not that long it was just a billion dollar movie and a lot of big roles are made with some archetype in mind.

I umm think at the very least the lead actor of Aladdin should never have to do a non-paying opportunity again unless doing a friend a favor. I'm thinking he could like guest star on a few procedurals, maybe get a TV show opportunity, play a smaller but still significant role in big and indie movies. But I'm guessing the reason he isn't has more to do with the size of roles they are looking for.

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I umm think at the very least the lead actor of Aladdin should never have to do a non-paying opportunity again unless doing a friend a favor.

Jonah Hill made a Scorsese movie on SAG minimum and it was not necessarily a bad move for him, it really depend of the goal but doing small independent movie or having a small but good part on a Paul Thomas Anderson movie is not seen have having to do non-paying gig doing favors, but building your credibility for the next one.

I'm thinking he could like guest star on a few procedurals, maybe get a TV show opportunity, play a smaller but still significant role in big and indie movies.

That exactly the type of stuff is team could hide for him, you seem to be saying about the same thing.

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Jonah Hill made a Scorsese movie on SAG minimum and it was not necessarily a bad move for him, it really depend of the goal but doing small independent movie or having a small but good part on a Paul Thomas Anderson movie is not seen have having to do non-paying gig doing favors, but building your credibility for the next one.

That exactly the type of stuff is team could hide for him, you seem to be saying about the same thing.

You do realize that SAG minimum you still get paid. Why would his team hide paid work from him? Especially good paid work? They don't get paid if he doesn't get paid either.

You do realize that SAG minimum you still get paid. Why would his team hide paid work from him? Especially good paid work? They don't get paid if he doesn't get paid either.

Small percentage of $50K for an agency is not getting paid, they sometime hide low paying job for them to try to get 10% of millions at some point (imagine missing an Marvel offer because of some scheduling conflict that paid them 10% of 250k....)

They will even hide from their bigger name movies offer for which they cannot force the production to use many of their clients in the smaller role sometime and push toward movies that they can.

Louis CK explained that when he was casting Horace and Pete, that he had to get the big popular actors direct phone numbers or approaching them in real life at event, has that type of project usually to not reach them if they go via their agency.