WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

This is Marvel Studios we are talking about here.

Let me reiterate: Marvel_Studios_%282013%29_Logo.png

You know, the studio behind the "pretty good" Iron Man series, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy? I would describe the Cap and Thor films' box office as "pretty good" at least in relation to the three franchises I mentioned before. If Ant-Man does under 60 and under 150 total, that's TIH territory...which is not "pretty good" at all. It's just OK. Again...relatively(and strictly domestically).

Let s not pretend that Marvel Studios was bound to make box office smashes out of every low tier Marvel character.

It s very difficult to pull off, having constant slam dunks.

Do I have to really explain why Ant Man is a tougher sell than any other Marvel Character ?

Always found the very concept of Ant Man ludicrous . I bet other people think so too ...

Guardians worked so well but it was an anomaly, I wouldn't even call it a superhero movie( did the characters have superpowers or were there just aliens ?), it was an off beat- cool Star Wars, very expensive (Almost 200M) with big production values and lots of VFX, a great cast, tone, humor, a star in the making ( Pratt!), 2 unforgettable CGI characters, a genius concept for the soundtrack etc

I was VERY skeptical about Guardians but somehow Marvel and Gunn found a way to make it work perfectly.

I think Ant Man is even more difficult to sell to audiences than Guardians and Marvel knew it, the movie being their lowest budget since the studios' inception.

And Marvel movies are very expensive now nothing under 170m since 2012.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

TDK just ended on AMC and they're playing it again.

I just paused it on the DVR so I could see the last five minutes after I ate dinner. I own 3 versions of this movie on Blu-Ray.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME

• Like 2

Nolan has made 3 fantastic films.

He's made two incredibly silly films  

and some other decent ones 

He's never won an oscar

His box office is very good but not legendary.

I don't have to say anything about Spielberg.  If there is a director GOD, he is it.  No questions, no doubts, nothing.

Period.

End of discussion.

• Like 7

He's never won an oscar

I don't have to say anything about Spielberg.  If there is a director GOD, he is it.  No questions, no doubts, nothing.

Period.

End of discussion.

Spielberg the Father, Nolan the Son, Ben Affleck the Holy Spirit.

Or something like that.

• Like 6

I just paused it on the DVR so I could see the last five minutes after I ate dinner. I own 3 versions of this movie on Blu-Ray.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME

Buying Blurays is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

• Like 1

The IMAX at Irvine Spectrum just introduced "Reserved Seating". Thank the gods. This has been the #1 thing I have wanted from the Spectrum IMAX since I moved to OC. Now to book my tickets for top row center for Rogue Nation.

• Like 3

Let s not pretend that Marvel Studios was bound to make box office smashes out of every low tier Marvel character.

It s very difficult to pull off, having constant slam dunks.

Do I have to really explain why Ant Man is a tougher sell than any other Marvel Character ?

Always found the very concept of Ant Man ludicrous . I bet other people think so too ...

Guardians worked so well but it was an anomaly, I wouldn't even call it a superhero movie( did the characters had superpowers or were there just aliens ?), it was an off beat- cool Star Wars, very expensive (Almost 200M) with big production values and lots of VFX, a great cast, tone, humor, a star in the making ( Pratt!), 2 unforgettable CGI characters, a genius concept for the soundtrack etc

I was VERY skeptical about Guardians but somehow Marvel and Gunn found a way to make it work perfectly.

I think Ant Man is even more difficult to sell to audiences than Guardians and Marvel knew it, the movie being their lowest budget since the studios' inception.

And Marvel movies are very expensive now nothing under 170m since 2012.

I gotta disagree about Pratt, he really wasn't a big star before Guardians, Zoe Saldana had more star power than him at that time.

But, yeah, Ant Man is a tough sell, I actually had never heard about Ant Man until last year.

• Like 1

Going to see Ant-Man tonight. Does if have a post-credits scene? If so, is it related to the Avengers?

These two post credit scenes probably have more meaning to the general audience (non comic book readers) then those of the last few films. 

The first one teasers a sequel and the second was teasers a character interaction in Civil War

He's never won an oscar

I don't have to say anything about Spielberg. If there is a director GOD, he is it. No questions, no doubts, nothing.

Period.

End of discussion.

No comparisons between nolan and spielberg. After all spielberg has been around for 4 decades. Plus I dont see nolan trying to be as versatile as spielberg.

• Like 2