grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

The Paper Towns number made me puke. The shooting has fucked the box office. The holdhovers had terrible drops.

Tbh I don't know if it did. Maybe nothing appealed to audiences or they just didn't want to go back

I said it during the week and still think it applies to this opening: Fox really didn't do a good job selling Paper Towns to anyone that wasn't part of its niche-y audience of John Green fans. I fully expect the female and under-25 demographics to be over 90% each.

Edited by filmlover

The Paper Towns number made me puke. The shooting has fucked the box office. The holdhovers had terrible drops.

Why do you keep making these inaccurate statements?

The shooting has had negligible effect.

I said it during the week and still think it applies to this opening: Fox really didn't do a good job selling Paper Towns to anyone that wasn't part of its niche-y audience of John Green fans. I fully expect the female and under-25 demographics to be over 90% each.

They did the same with The Fault In Our Stars and it worked.

at the same point IO was at 246mn...gap is closing  :ph34r:

Minions needs to get to $334.9M to match Cars 2 2.9X multiplier. That is starting to look unlikely.

Minions has given back $18M off its lead over IO in the last 10 days (Minions had a $33.7M lead after 7 days). It now looks like IO could gross more its first month than Minions will (based on a 30-31 day month).

Also looks like IO will just edge out JW this weekend like last weekend. Not a big enough Saturday for JW to offset the generally higher FRI and SUN numbers that IO tends to post. Congrats to JW to moving into 3rd all time.

Ant-Man despite relatively mediocre numbers looks like it will top a second weekend. This is just such a weak weekend all around.

Edited by RamblinRed

I remember TFIOS the book being huge even before the movie. I do not follow YA literature at all, but I knew about it. I had never heard any mention of Paper Towns the book leaking into the larger zeitgeist.

Comparing book-to-film, this seems to be the Congo to TFIOS' Jurassic Park. (And yes, I know Congo was not a bomb, but it was another example of a big hit adaptation of a book being followed by a less big adaptation of a similar book by the same author.)

Edited by TServo2049

Yeah, but that looked much more appealing than this did. Also, Shailene Woodley had become somewhat popular with the public due to a few years of very good performances in both movies and through television under her belt, whereas this movie's leads are both total unknowns.

To me it just seems clear that the popularity of The Fault In Our Stars doesn't to extend to John Green's other works. Pretty simple.

• Like 2

I remember TFIOS the book being huge even before the movie. I do not follow YA literature at all, but I knew about it. I had never heard any mention of Paper Towns the book leaking into the larger zeitgeist.

This seems to be the Congo to TFIOS' Jurassic Park.

Fault had cancer.

Towns had Cara being pretentious.

Fox used the exact same marketing plan for Paper Towns that they used for TFIOS and that was their mistake because TFIOS could've been even bigger had they marketed it like beyond the core fanbase but TFIOS did really well anyway because the book was huge. Paper Towns wasn't huge on its own and they got lazy and this is the result of that. Surprised Cara couldn't bring in more though because she has a very large teenage girl fanbase.

Yeah, but that looked much more appealing than this did. Also, Shailene Woodley had become somewhat popular with the public due to a few years of very good performances in both movies and through television under her belt, whereas this movie's leads are both total unknowns.

To me it just seems clear that the popularity of The Fault In Our Stars doesn't to extend to John Green's other works. Pretty simple.

TFIOS was something new and original. This is why it has such huge success. People always need something refreshing, the factor fatigue has become a big factor in the cinema industry.

• Like 1