grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

$14-16 million from a $1.2 million preview number would be pretty frontloaded for an adult-skewing sports drama. 

I'd think $20-22 million would be a better range, but maybe Southpaw is just that frontloaded.

Those are predictions... I can do that as well. 

Those are predictions... I can do that as well. 

Oh ok  :lol: I thought those were projections. 

Still, I don't see how Southpaw only does $15 million for the weekend. Especially since it came out of nowhere and did similar preview #s to Pixels. 

Could be 2nd or 3rd for the weekend depending on Minions/Ant-Man holds. Maybe even 1st  :huh:

The Thursday-to-Friday increases will be telling as to whether the shooting is going to impact business. On the bright side this isn't getting anywhere nearly as much press coverage as Aurora so hopefully things won't be to depressed.

• Like 1

What a terrible weekend. Youd think Paper Towns couldve pushed harder, but Pixels really had potential. $40+ potential, withh a shot at $50. Outside of Minions, Ant Man kinda, and the June holdovers, this month hasnt been any better than last year.

Boy did Pixels have potential, but, yeah...

• Like 1

The Thursday-to-Friday increases will be telling as to whether the shooting is going to impact business. On the bright side this isn't getting anywhere nearly as much press coverage as Aurora so hopefully things won't be to depressed.

I am more curious about that than in the opener's numbers tbh. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

What a terrible weekend. Youd think Paper Towns couldve pushed harder, but Pixels really had potential. $40+ potential, withh a shot at $50. Outside of Minions, Ant Man kinda, and the June holdovers, this month hasnt been any better than last year.

Franchise potential. It could have been a giant hit. 

Southpaw is about to potentially do $20 million+ for the weekend, so there's another bright spot. Anything over $15 million is phenomenal considering it's a low-budget sports drama from the Weinsteins. 

I do agree that July 2015 is doing almost as bad as last year. Really the meh July 4th frame and Ted 2 underperforming did July 2015 in. Pixels and Paper Towns underperforming is just the death blow. If only BvS had stayed in July lol... 

Fall 2015 is going to be pretty big, and Nov/Dec should be on par with Holiday 2009/2012, so as long as August isn't an epic fail, 2015 will be alright in the long run. 

• Like 1

With lack of competition and legs that comedies can have, 3x would not surprise me for Pixels. Trashed movies like Grown up 1 and 2, Identity Thief, Tammy have had very good legs. 90m seems likely for Pixels. Though don't know how strong it will be os. Will need a good run os to recoup the investment.

Quick before I start my shift. Yes I like pixels a lot. There was a lot of eighties pop culture references and humor. The story was fun. And it was nothing like a typical Happy Madison movie. The characters were fun it was over the top and silly and definitely a movie that you check your brain at the door but the word here is fun. I laughed quite a bit and I think it will have actually have a decent word of mouth. I get that some people will not like it because the humor isn't for everybody but I don't understand the complete hate. That I think has more to do with Adam Sandler's last two movies then it does with the actual overall feel of this film. It is a lot of fun it's very funny its pop culture a tease stuff heavy and if you don't like that then perhaps you won't like the movie.

I was worried I'd be the only one that liked it :)

Idk I think that video game films might just never work/be huge hits. I can't think of one that was.

EDIT: Oh yeah I remembered that the Mortal Kombat movie exists. That was a decent hit.

Edited by Mulder

Idk I think that video game films might just never work/be huge hits. I can't think of one that was.

Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, Pokemon: The First Movie (especially for an anime movie) are three that did quite well, off the top of my head.

And if Pixels is a video-game movie, then Wreck-It-Ralph counts as well, and that did quite well, obviously

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1