Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

Great start for STX Entertainment. Their first movie is going to open to over $10 million and has a good shot at $40 million. FYI, STX Entertainment is run by Adam Fogelson , the guy who was running Universal Pictures until very recently and greenlit some of the movies (Pitch PerfectTed, the fifth Fast and Furious and Despicable Me ) that made this record year possible. 

From his office atop a Burbank high-rise, Adam Fogelson has a bird's-eye view of three major Hollywood studio lots: Warner Bros., Disney and, perhaps fittingly, Universal, where he worked for 15 years, including four as chairman, until he abruptly was ousted in September 2013. Now, Fogelson, 48, is trying with STX Entertainment to do what Relativity Media and even the old DreamWorks couldn't: challenge the traditional studios by moving in on an area they largely have abandoned, midbudget ($25 million to $75 million), star-driven dramas rather than superhero pics and prebranded tentpoles. And he's making a lot of them. The 65-employee STX, founded in spring 2014 by industry veteran Robert Simonds and backed by, among others, TPG Capital and China's Hony Capital (with significant film financing coming from China's Huayi Bros.), is planning to spend about $1 billion a year to release 15 movies annually by 2017, starting with theJason Bateman horror thriller The Gift, out Aug. 7. The challenge of launching those projects with a much smaller staff than at his former employer falls to Fogelson, a married father of two daughters (ages 11 and 9) who grew up in the business (father Andrew ran marketing for several studios, uncle Alan Hirschfield once ran Fox and Columbia Pictures and brother Noah now is the top lawyer at STX) and is known as one of the town's shrewdest marketers. Along with studio president Oren Aviv and production head Cathy Schulman, he has booked movies with Julia Roberts (Secret in Their Eyes, out Nov. 20), Matthew McConaughey (Free State of Jones, March 11) and Mark Wahlberg (the action project Mile 22). He invited THR to his office to talk about STX's relationship with China money, Universal's "bittersweet" success and Hollywood's female director problem.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/stx-film-chief-adam-fogelson-812978

Does Ant-Man hit 150 m this weekend?

Someone should tell CJohn, so he can celebrate.

You do realize I really liked Ant-Man and I really want a sequel so the more money it makes the better? Edited by CJohn

And Jamie Bell has that tintin sequel peter jackson SWEARS he's making. toby kebbell has surefire hit warcraft, reg e cathey will still randomly show up for house of cards two episodes a season. it's all good with everyone.

I hear Josh Trank has some Galatic Battle spin off?

Getting killed now.

Besides. Compton everything else could gross sub 40m. Hoping Uncle is good and breaks out though.

Lol at someone who said that Minions would be killed by FF, Shaun and Underdogs.

One won't make more than Minions did it 1.5 days, one's OW couldn't beat Minions 5th weekend and one has been delayed to DTV fate.

It's a pity that Shaun isn't doing better, but I just think it funny that someone, probably Mattrek, thought that they would spell the end of Minions. It did it itself of course, but can't claim credit for dumb reasoning.

Please point out where I said Minions would be killed by Shaun the Sheep.

EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME:

Iron Man 2 is not a bad movie. It is mediocre at worst and average at best. All of the Iron Man 2 promotional material is likely better than a single second of this 100 minutes atrocity.

Let's not be obtuse because it is one of MCU's worst movies.

tumblr_lksnarZmOh1qjt2d2o1_500.gif

EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME:

Iron Man 2 is not a bad movie. It is mediocre at worst and average at best.

Those two words are synonymous.

Besides, with the endless production of SH movies, mediocre might as well mean bad.

Edited by Hatebox

Fantastic Four's opening weekend is a disaster no matter how you put. Less then 30m, is really, really bad for a 100m+ budgeted superhero film.

Great for the Gift, and really, really for Shaun The Sheep, but then again, I think Lionsgate only spent 15 dollars to market it, so it should be okay. -_-

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1

Even the "action" in IM2 is off-putting. The drone shit at the end is a terrible setpiece in just about every way

I disagree, this was pretty awesome to see on the big screen

It was the part that came after that disappointed me but at least the RDJ/Paltrow scene on the roof top made up for it. BTW, the cinematography for this movie was pretty good. All of those parts I just mentioned look great on blu-ray.

• Like 1

I really hope that UNCLE can break out next weekend, Henry is easily the best actor of SH movies and deserves be a draw BC0A14k.gif

I'm also hoping that UNCLE breaks out, but because I'd like to see Alicia Vikander get more high profile roles. :worthy:

• Like 1

"I've got a source, fairly close to the production of this film, who had told me that the movie that Josh Trank and Fox had agreed on making — included 3 really big action set pieces. That was all agreed upon, it was part of the flow of the movie. And a movie is like a puzzle, you have all the pieces in place. You start messing with pieces and suddenly the whole puzzle can look out of whack. And they had agreed upon this vision for a film. Anddays before production began, Fox came in and made him pull 3 main action sequences out of the film. I was also told, the ending of the film was not even Josh Trank's. At some point they hijacked the editing bay from him. To the point that the editing of the film was done without him." 

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/08/fantastic-four-fox-reportedly-cut-3-action-scenes-days-before-jo/

• Like 3