kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

OH MY FUCKING GOD

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

@TRIFLE

It just got more real.  Apparently this is going to be a 'hard R' rating and 'new territory and a risk' for Jennifer Lawrence.  They showed 18 minutes of it, and had a Q & A with at least Francis Lawrence.  I need to assemble the many tweets.  I'll be back.

• Like 2

This tweet not embedding thing is about to be very irritating.

Alrighty, so today's going to be a little weird. Seeing footage and Q&As from Kingsman 2, Murder on the Orient Express and Red Sparrow...

Francis Lawrence said #RedSparrow is "definitely a hard R" and a risky venture for Jennifer Lawrence. It's certainly new territory for her.

Overall, I'm relieved that #RedSparrow looks better than what I anticipated. I think the fact that it's hard-R and pushing the limits helps.

Francis Lawrence says Jennifer Lawrence only reads a movie's script once or twice and memorizes her day's lines the morning of.

@EricVespe I know a bunch of actors who do that. Most say the theory behind it is you don't try to overthink your words and go on instinct.

@DrGMLaTulippe Yeah, he said it was her way of keeping her performances authentic.

Oh, and Red Sparrow is also definitely R-rated. "It's a hard R," says director Francis Lawrence. That'll be all the sex, then. #RedSparrow

.@Hibbits says Red Sparrow is a hard R. Footage we saw featured things that would def not make it in a PG-13 movie.

Red Sparrow looks phenomenal. A post-Cold War Russian ballet, spy, sex thriller like no other. Can't wait. #RedSparrow

Saw 18 minutes of Red Sparrow, an espionage movie starring Jennifer Lawrence. Bloodier and racier than I was expecting.

Red Sparrow looks like a slow burn adult thriller. Kinda feels like it has a little touch of Verhoeven to it.

1 hour ago

Replying to

How was Jennifer & Joel TOGETHER? The accents?

Didn't see much of them together, but they seemed to get on well. Her Russian accent is slight, but there.

Red Sparrow looks great. A grounded spy thriller that stars Jennifer Lawrence and a ton of other great actors. In theaters later this year.

well, that 'later this year' isn't accurate unless they are moving it yet again.  It comes out in March, 2018.

.@Hibbits says everything in Red Sparrow is location based. Meaning they shot in real places and not soundstages. #RedSparrow

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

More reactions:

• Like 2

By tracking the below/above 25 year's old average on recent movies versus the past, I'm not surprised the studio went R-rated with it.

In 2010, a movie like Salt had 59% of is audience above 25 in is first weekend.

The last Jason Bourne, 60% of the audience was above 35, probably not that many below 17, so why get into the trouble of making it pg-13.

Ticket sold by age group show a tendency toward less and less need to try to have the 12-17 age group, it will be close to only 10% of ticket sales in not so long.

2010:

2-12 : 11%

12-17: 15%

18-25: 17%

25 and above: 57%

2016:

2-12  :11%

12-17:13%

18-25:16%

25 and above: 60%

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Barnack said:

By tracking the below/above 25 year's old average on recent movies versus the past, I'm not surprised the studio went R-rated with it.

In 2010, a movie like Salt had 59% of is audience above 25 in is first weekend.

The last Jason Bourne, 60% of the audience was above 35, probably not that many below 17, so why get into the trouble of making it pg-13.

Ticket sold by age group show a tendency toward less and less need to try to have the 12-17 age group, it will be close to only 10% of ticket sales in not so long.

2010:

2-12 : 11%

12-17: 15%

18-25: 17%

25 and above: 57%

2016:

2-12  :11%

12-17:13%

18-25:16%

25 and above: 60%

Yeah, but Jen has a perfect rating with 13-17 year olds, last time it was polled, as I recall.  They will want to go to this, but some of their parents might feel differently, particularly if it is bloody AND racy, and it seems to be both from the feedback.

I don't disagree with you about Fox's reasoning, though.  And even her younger THG fans get older every year.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

'Red Sparrow' Director Says Jennifer Lawrence Spy Thriller Has "Hard R" Rating

gettyimages-626675216-h_2016.jpg

New footage from the film revealed in London showed that sex is high on agenda.

... "It's definitely R," Francis Lawrence revealed at a special Fox event held in London Friday. "When I read the book and I made the pitch to the studio about what the approach would be, this was a definite R. Nobody's chickened out or got cold feet, everybody's gone for it from the beginning. It's a hard R." ...

And working together before definitely helped on set, claimed the filmmaker.

"I think she was willing to take some risks in this movie, she might not have been willing to do for somebody she didn't know," he said. "I definitely think we have a short hand - we have plenty of shoot days under our belt now so we know how to communicate really efficiently. And it works."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/red-sparrow-director-says-jennifer-lawrence-spy-thriller-has-hard-r-rating-1000558

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Americans tho, show them uber violence and they don't care.

Show some T&A and do a proper sex scene and you have 

a Hard R

:lol:

Sounds like this will be both violent and racy - hence the hard R.

could easily be a badass Christopher Nolan-esque Black Widow origin story. Take note,

I suspect we are going to hear a lot about Black Widow.  I hadn't known, or maybe hadn't remembered that BW had been a ballarina, but several have now mentioned that.  Since Red Sparrow was written by a past CIA operative, I think the tones will lean a bit more towards spycraft.

Edited by trifle