kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

How about bringing those bright popping (pun not intended) colors along with it too, cause this muted greyed out afraid-to-be-expressive bullshit that's going on in the current stills (and, well, in most of modern studio cinema) makes me nothing but depressed. 

1000% agree.

Just watched my DVD of "Singing In the Rain" and was the color photography in that was incredible. And it just not get better then Gene Kelly's "Singing In the Rain " number and the "Broadway Melody" ballet...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

That would be an insane target.  Sure, they may hope but...  All I hope is that it is much better than B&B.

The huge dance numbers sound great but can Marshall stage those?  I remember Chicago.  Then again he wasn't dealing with non dancers so he had to cheat.  Who's choreographing?

Marshall is doing his own choreography. He actually started as a choreographer.

In watching Chicago, it is interesting to see how Marshall threw all of the heavy lifting in the dance numbers with Zellwneger and Zeta Jones onto Zeta Jones, who ,of course, had a lot of stage musical experience.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

1000% agree.

Just watched my DVD of "Singing In the Rain" and was the color photography in that was incredible. And it just not get better then Gene Kelly's "Singing In the Rain " number and the "Broadway Melody" ballet...

Yeah I rewatched A Star Is Born '54 recently and was drooling at the colors throughout. A good, well-thought out color pallette doesn't just make a movie look gorgeous but can express character and communicate feelings all by itself, and it pains me to see so many movies today just thoughtlessly refusing all of this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I forgot Rob Marshall is directing this.  

I wouldn't lock this for ridiculous success yet, he has proven over and over again he is a complete bore as a director.  

Never stopped him before unfortunately (only Nine excepted)

Chicago was the second highest grossing musical ever for well over a decade and Into the Woods was fairly successful as far as modern musicals go. Marshall has at least proven to have a good box office track record with musicals. That seems like more assurance for this to do extremely well. 

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

She turned down the offer because she didn't want to distract from Blunt. 

really? Had no idea about that. 

with a cameo i don't mean a role in the movie, not even a sentence. Maybe just appearing walking on the background of any scene (like coming out of an umbrella store or a bag store in a back scene behind the main actors, for example)

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, meriodejaneiro said:

I think MPR should have gotten the Thanksgiving slot, Solo the Christmas slot, Increcibles2 the Memorial Day slot, and WreckItRalph2 somewhere in summer along with Ant-Man 2. 

MPR would benefit the Christmas legs, and Solo would benefit from Christmas-SW good relationship seen these last years ... ending with Ep9 next year. 

WiR2 is in a rough spot IMO. I think Grinch and Nutcracker will overshadow it since they're both heavily rooted in the holiday season. Mary Poppins has a fantastic release date if it ends up getting phenomenal WOM as Greatest Showman/Jumanji have shown for the past three months. 

6 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

WiR2 is in a rough spot IMO. I think Grinch and Nutcracker will overshadow it since they're both heavily rooted in the holiday season. Mary Poppins has a fantastic release date if it ends up getting phenomenal WOM as Greatest Showman/Jumanji have shown for the past three months. 

At least they could place MPR on the 21-23 weekend, instead of on tuesday 25th. They are missing many many millions from that christmas we. 

I have hopes they change it to the weekend, since they have moved IW less than two months prior to it release date. It's not too late for MPR :D 

37 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

At least they could place MPR on the 21-23 weekend, instead of on tuesday 25th. They are missing many many millions from that christmas we. 

I have hopes they change it to the weekend, since they have moved IW less than two months prior to it release date. It's not too late for MPR :D 

That release date is already stuffed, they're better off on Christmas Day.

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

That release date is already stuffed, they're better off on Christmas Day.

Everything besides Aquaman would probably scramble to move to a new date though if Disney were to move this to the 21. The studios aren’t stupid, they know this is the big dog to go up against this Xmas. I’m inclined to agree the 21 would be better. I do think there’s a whole lot of money to be made for this in those extra 4 days that might not be able to be made up releasing on the 25th

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Everything besides Aquaman would probably scramble to move to a new date though if Disney were to move this to the 21. The studios aren’t stupid, they know this is the big dog to go up against this Xmas. I’m inclined to agree the 21 would be better. I do think there’s a whole lot of money to be made for this in those extra 4 days that might not be able to be made up releasing on the 25th

I imagine one or two films will move to Christmas Day since it's still a big OD. My guess is even if Poppins doesn't move, something going to move up even if it's by 2 days. Both The Greatest Showman and Jumanji opened on a Wednesday and did great so it's something for studios to figure out.