kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

Lol, i told my mother (who loved Mary Poppins in her youth and still does today) about this movie and she said: "They're making a second one? After over 50 years? Is this how desperate Hollywood is for making more unneccessary sequels? Are they high?"

:rofl:

Spoiler

She will still see it probably though :ph34r:

• Like 3

Real issue for Disney is that this film might prove a huge disappointment;a weak sequel to one of Disney's most beloved films.

I am also getting a definent air of  hipster oh so cool disdain for the film. from a number of people here.

And I am sure there is a certain anger from the "Star Wars" fanboys that Poppins Returns is getting what they think should be "Solo"'s release spot.

P.L. Travers wrote a whole series of Mary Poppins books, so there is enough material for a sequel. Question is,of course, how well it is done.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Real issue for Disney is that this film might prove a huge disappointment;a weak sequel to one of Disney's most beloved films.

I am also getting a definent air of  hipster oh so cool disdain for the film. from a number of people here.

And I am sure there is a certain anger from the "Star Wars" fanboys that Poppins Returns is getting what they think should be "Solo"'s release spot.

P.L. Travers wrote a whole series of Mary Poppins books, so there is enough material for a sequel. Question is,of course, how well it is done.

I think MPR should have gotten the Thanksgiving slot, Solo the Christmas slot, Increcibles2 the Memorial Day slot, and WreckItRalph2 somewhere in summer along with Ant-Man 2. 

MPR would benefit the Christmas legs, and Solo would benefit from Christmas-SW good relationship seen these last years ... ending with Ep9 next year. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro

1 hour ago, DAR said:

So I came across this article it was about the 1966 annual report for shareholders at Disney. It was approved by Walt Disney shortly before his death.  But it’s quite interesting to see what he says about Mary Poppins

https://www.mouseplanet.com/11936/The_Walt_Disney_Productions_Annual_Report_for_1966

Disney the non sequel studio. :lol:

Funny in this report it makes note of the upcoming Jungle Book and new attractions Pirates Of The Caribbean & Tomorrowland.

As 1967 begins, we have high hopes that some of our current projects may measure up to this exciting challenge. Perhaps it will be a motion picture like The Happiest Millionaire. Perhaps it will be our so-called 'Disney World' in Florida.

Maybe

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:03 AM, TalismanRing said:

Disney the non sequel studio. :lol:

Funny in this report it makes note of the upcoming Jungle Book and new attractions Pirates Of The Caribbean & Tomorrowland.

Maybe

Walt seems to  have forgotten he made his share of sequels in the early sixties with all those comedies...."Son of Flubber" was a direct sequel to "The Absent Minded Professor" and there were a couple of  other comedy sequels.

And  the Mineral King Ski  resort which got so much attention in the report was cancelled a couple of years after Walt's death.. Fact was, it had become a money pit which nobody but Walt thought was a good idea-,and Roy Disney thought was a terrible idea.. Walt was a creative genius but often not a good businessman;Roy Disney his brother actually ran the business end of the company and one of Roy's main jobs was reining in Walt on some his more questionable projects.

And "The Happiest Millionaire"  which was expected to be the next Poppins turned out to be a disappointment....it barely managed to break even on what was a big budget.

The idea that everything Walt touched turned to gold is mistaken;just read any good book on Disney.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 1:20 AM, dudalb said:

I am the opposite:I think, if you going to move Solo, move it to the November spot, leaving Poppins in the December spot.

No point having it and Crimes of Grindelwald released a week or two apart. CoG would badly eat at it overseas.

1 minute ago, antovolk said:

Now that's a bingo

I legitimately cannot wait to see this trailer. Mary Poppins was a beautiful film and if this sequel looks even half as good as the first, I will be stanning for it.

It's poised to have a 'Greatest Showman on steroids' type of successful run in December.

It had better do much,much better then "Greatest Showman". Disney is expecting huge numbers on it,thing in the neighborhood of Beauty and the Beast.

If it's a modest success like "Showman" it will be considered a failure.

What interest me is that apparently they are going to do some huge, Gene Kelly/MGM  in the 1950's style dance numbers in the film...Something which most modern film musicals shy away from.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

It had better do much,much better then "Greatest Showman". Disney is expecting huge numbers on it,thing in the neighborhood of Beauty and the Beast.

What interest me is that apparently they are going to do some huge, Gene Kelly/MGM  in the 1950's style dance numbers in the film...Something which most modern film musicals shy away from.

That would be an insane target.  Sure, they may hope but...  All I hope is that it is much better than B&B.

The huge dance numbers sound great but can Marshall stage those?  I remember Chicago.  Then again he wasn't dealing with non dancers so he had to cheat.  Who's choreographing?

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I imagine $350-400m domestic would be a good target for Poppins, it'll likely do gangbusters in the UK and Australia

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

How about bringing those bright popping (pun not intended) colors along with it too, cause this muted greyed out afraid-to-be-expressive bullshit that's going on in the current stills (and, well, in most of modern studio cinema) makes me nothing but depressed. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine $350-400m domestic would be a good target for Poppins, it'll likely do gangbusters in the UK and Australia

I guess Mary Poppins is a phenomenon that landed in similar cultures than SW did: north america, Europa, Aus/NZ and maybe Japan. Don't know how it goes for the rest of América, but in Europe MP is a very well known brand at all ages. 

I with it did BATB numbers or even more. MP deserves it. And if it's as sweet of a spoon full of sugar as the first one was ... it really deserves it!

Edited by meriodejaneiro