kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

19 hours ago, Chewy said:

Feel like we're collectively underestimating this

I have been saying this for some time. Fact is, any film that is not in one of the Geek genres of film gets underestimated around here.

I thought the Trailer was effective. Once again people seem to want not a teaser or a trailer, but a mini version of the film.

And we saw out first glimps of the grown up Banks kids.

7 hours ago, iHeartJames said:

I never seen the original Mary Poppings but I quite enjoyed the teaser. I mean it kinda went on and on to get to the point but I LOVED the little mirror scene

If you have not seen the original, then a lot of the teaser will make no sense.

I would bet the same applies to the film itself.

49 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Way underestimating how much it's gonna make in the UK/Aus.

I said it before ... MP is kind of a SW monster in the imaginary of some societies like USA, Canada, UK, AUS/NZ and Europe. Like any person from any age you ask about Mary Poppins, they will know who she is and even sing part of its songs. I wouldn't be surprised if MPR made more than $1B ww. 

23 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I said it before ... MP is kind of a SW monster in the imaginary of some societies like USA, Canada, UK, AUS/NZ and Europe. Like any person from any age you ask about Mary Poppins, they will know who she is and even sing part of its songs. I wouldn't be surprised if MPR made more than $1B ww. 

I agree that Mary Poppins is going to be big in several of the major developed markets. Just an early guess at this point, but I can see $450 million domestic, $75+ million in the UK, $35+ million in Australia/NZ combined, and $60+ million in Japan.

• Like 2

If the film is good,or even just decent...the sky is the limit.

If it's not very good, just the curiosty factor will mean Disney will at least get it's money back on the film.

I note that a couple of the people in this thread downplaying how well Poppins will do are big time DCEU fans.

As for Aquaman, we have no idea if it will  be a "Wonder Woman" or a "Justice League" at the box office.

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

Way underestimating how much it's gonna make in the UK/Aus.

Pfff.  You're acting like Mary Poppins has some sort of special connection to the UK/Australia.

Like, what, did they (*does double air quotes*) create it in the first place or something?

I think not.  Next you'll be telling me that the UK/Australia has a special affinity for Peter Pan.  And that's just a ridiculous stance, if you ask me. j1aUlyv.gif

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The trailer doesn't seem to be getting the insane amount of views that TBATB's trailers had in the first 24 hours. At least, I don't think it will come close to TBATB in non-English speaking countries.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

RIP that movie.

not quite it's an universal story with big heart and will do well everywhere including the UK, but Poppin's hurts it's gross in the UK that's for sure.

Edited by IronJimbo

18 minutes ago, BXT said:

The trailer doesn't seem to be getting the insane amount of views that TBATB's trailers had in the first 24 hours. At least, I don't think it will come close to TBATB in non-English speaking countries.

In term of youtube video watching habbit of the target audience, maybe Jungle Book would be a better comparable in some market here (like domestic), beauty and the beast was really an Internet hype machine in comparison to those 2 I would (maybe wrongly) assume.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

not quite it's an universal story with big heart and will do well everywhere including the UK, 

Mary Poppins will murder that thing over here. I’d bet money that Fox do what they did with Assassins Creed and delay the UK release into 2019, and even then, if Poppins is meh-good Alita could still be killed.

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Mary Poppins will murder that thing over here. I’d bet money that Fox do what they did with Assassins Creed and delay the UK release into 2019, and even then, if Poppins is meh-good Alita could still be killed.

TBH December is a time where films can co-exist and make big bucks, look at Jumanji and TGS which did very well against Star Wars. I suspect Alita is DOA but the likes of Aquaman, Bohemian Rhapsody, Spider-Verse and Mortal Engines will all do good business in December even with Poppins. 

• Like 1