WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Disney has access to a huge back catalogue of titles as well which they draw from, Cinderella was based mostly on their version of Cinderella. Snow White was somewhat successful for Universal but that's pretty much it. The only fairytale/fantasy film I could see being a huge hit would be the film version of Wicked but that's based on an already successful existing stage musical.

Disney has access to a huge back catalogue of titles as well which they draw from, Cinderella was based mostly on their version of Cinderella. Snow White was somewhat successful for Universal but that's pretty much it. The only fairytale/fantasy film I could see being a huge hit would be the film version of Wicked but that's based on an already successful existing stage musical.

Snow White and the Huntsman was targeting teens and adults. It was not a family movie. 

Zemeckis' marketing tactic of "HERE'S THE WHOLE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE TRAILER" finally failed. I thought it was fool-proof.

It's funny to go back, and see that he did it as early as Back to the Future Part II (which actually shows the very last shot of the movie!)

The trailer for the first Back to the Future (and I mean the actual trailer, not the teaser) doesn't give away the whole movie, but I have a very strong feeling that Zemeckis didn't have any input on it; on the commentary, he talks about how he wasn't involved in the marketing, he didn't agree with the marketing, he wanted to show more action and special effects in the trailers. Said theatrical trailer is conspicuously missing from every DVD/Blu-Ray (they only ever have the teaser), leading me to believe Zemeckis is keeping it hidden on purpose because he doesn't like it. (You can at least watch it online.)

Edited by TServo2049

There was an interview where he compared his movies to items on a mcdonalds menu saying people wanted to try the stuff they already know pretty well. they don't wanna be surprised... it's almost admirable seeing that sort of open cynicism from a filmmaker.

Also: Stephen Daldry's Trash made $10,000 from 17 theaters for an average of $588. Not a good weekend for Rooney Mara, that's for sure.

The Martian and Steve Jobs are the winners of the weekend. The latter should expand very, very well.