Fancyarcher

Isle of Dogs | Wes Anderson | April 20 2018

LOVED this. absolutely pitch-perfect stuff with a surprising amount of bite (ahem) - hence the PG13. One sequence was a bit chilling to watch given a real life thing close to home which happened 48 hours prior... and seeing RP1 a few days before is interesting comparison. Spielberg & Anderson putting their spins on family material - former fully indulges in the world like a big kid, latter adds a perfectly notched amount of bite to it.

Now watching this though...IOD fits a lot of those lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, antovolk said:

LOVED this. absolutely pitch-perfect stuff with a surprising amount of bite (ahem) - hence the PG13. One sequence was a bit chilling to watch given a real life thing close to home which happened 48 hours prior... and seeing RP1 a few days before is interesting comparison. Spielberg & Anderson putting their spins on family material - former fully indulges in the world like a big kid, latter adds a perfectly notched amount of bite to it.

Now watching this though...IOD fits a lot of those lol 

That's a wonderful honest trailer. You could tell they like his movies.

While Fantastic Mr. Fox was based on pre-existing written material, Isle of Dogs is a completely original story from the mind of Anderson and it honestly might be his best-crafted work (figuratively and literally) since his previous film. I would’ve said “since Rushmore” but The Grand Budapest Hotel was a terrific story with great performances and memorable characters. Anderson is currently on a streak where he has given up writing cartoonish characters for the sake of prioritizing style over substance, and now focuses on writing more intricate stories. As much as I love and appreciate most of Anderson’s previous work, Isle of Dogs is the most unpredictably elaborate and developed story Anderson has written to date.

#IsleOfDogs maintains Wes Anderson's winning streak of delightful and poignant storytelling by being his most thoughtfully charming one to date.

Here's my ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review of Isle of Dogs:

https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//isle-of-dogs-review

• Like 5

Should I see this tonight? its playing at a local AMC tonight, but for some reason not playing there the rest of the weekend. It looks... interesting. But, also looks like it could bore me to death lol

Just now, YLF said:

Should I see this tonight? its playing at a local AMC tonight, but for some reason not playing there the rest of the weekend. It looks... interesting. But, also looks like it could bore me to death lol

Do you enjoy Wes Anderson? The answer to that question will determine whether you should see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Do you enjoy Wes Anderson? The answer to that question will determine whether you should see it.

The only movie i've seen of his is Budapest hotel, and I liked it. 

7 minutes ago, YLF said:

I'd seize the moment. This kind of film doesn't come out all the time; if you wait, something might happen where you won't get the chance to see it in theaters again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Checking her tweet made me check out this review and I really enjoyed reading it:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-isle-of-dogs-review-20180321-story.html

Favorite quote:

If there is a reason to cherish this often captivating, sometimes irritating, unavoidably perplexing movie, it's that its mere existence seems to defy rational explanation. It is by turns savage and soulful, mangy and refined, possessed of an unmistakable pedigree and yet boldly resistant to categorization. It's a shaggy Frankenmutt of a movie, dressed in artisanal fur and infested by bespoke fleas

It sure makes the film sound interesting.

Just finished watching the movie. Although it is nice to look at, for some reason the story and overall plot didnt work for me. It wasn't that captivating. The best part was looking at the stop motion animation. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 2:45 AM, YLF said:

Just finished watching the movie. Although it is nice to look at, for some reason the story and overall plot didnt work for me. It wasn't that captivating. The best part was looking at the stop motion animation. 

I second this.