kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

7 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

The overdoing of that "she's so relatable" stuff mixed in with a growing sense that whether or not she has talent, she's not talented enough to be the most successful mid-20s actress in film history.  Something doesn't smell right.  

Td;lr she's popular and that's bad

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

But what she do for be so hated in the web?

Her fake-ass "I am so relatable" schtick might have engendered some of that hatred...

Also, the infamous scolding she gave a reporter for using a phone while interviewing her might have made some people think she was an insufferable bitch...

Additionally, her "poor me, I am a mutimillionaire but my male co-star got more millions than I did; sexism!!" thing might have made her just a tad less loved by some...

Plus good ole fashioned jealousy over her fame, wealth, and success at such a young age.

9 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

The overdoing of that "she's so relatable" stuff mixed in with a growing sense that whether or not she has talent, she's not talented enough to be the most successful mid-20s actress in film history.

If I had to bet, I'd say that Julia Roberts during the very late eighties/most of the nineties was the most successful mid-20s actress in film history. 

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

If I had to bet, I'd say that Julia Roberts during the very late eighties/most of the nineties was the most successful mid-20s actress in film history. 

Fair enough.  Roberts' peak stardom and smile are more iconic than J-Law; but J-Law being in multiple big franchises and getting 4 Oscar nominations in less than a decade is pretty much unprecedented for someone her age.  I can look at Teresa Wright or Winslet or whomever's work and understand why they were big successes quite young, but Lawrence feels like a weird perfect storm of hype and declining culture.  

13 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Liz Taylor ?, Audrey Hepburn would be to other possible candidate I imagine?

Elizabeth Taylor was a child star starting with an head start, but still, between the age of 17 and 30 she had 10 movie in the annual top 10 box office, 4 oscar best leading role nomination including one win.

Hepburn had also a really strong start.

• Like 1

She was truly overexposed for a couple of years. Overnight, it was BIGGEST MOVIE STAR IN THE WORLD J-LAW. It's fine not to like her, but like everything else today, there's so much irrational venom spewed online. I assume it'll even out. I think she's a better movie star than actress, but that works.

Jen is talented and I usually enjoy Aronofsky's work.  When I start seeing comments (not necessarily from here) saying it's obvious this is going to be Jen's best performance ever, the hype has gone overboard. It was just a teaser. 

There is not a single rational reason behind J-Law hate.

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Her fake-ass "I am so relatable" schtick might have engendered some of that hatred...

Also, the infamous scolding she gave a reporter for using a phone while interviewing her might have made some people think she was an insufferable bitch...

Additionally, her "poor me, I am a mutimillionaire but my male co-star got more millions than I did; sexism!!" thing might have made her just a tad less loved by some...

Plus good ole fashioned jealousy over her fame, wealth, and success at such a young age.

When see did that fake ass  "I am so relatable" schtick? Will need some proof.

Do some research on that reporter incident. She was not rude at all.

So, multimillionaire people can not complain of anything?

These are all non-sense reasons. After fappening, when she called out everyone who looked at her naked pictures preverts and criminals (rightly so), these pewvs became entitled and began to hate her for being more talented amd successful than any one of them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Major stars, especially young major female stars, tend to get overanalyzed and backlashed against. And Jlaw was as major a star as you will find. She emerged like James Dean. Not just box office success but also tremendous critical success. So of course there is going to be some backlashing and people looking for excuses not to like her. It was entirely predictable. But beyond a few internet haters, Jlaw is fine. Cannot please everyone and who really cares?  

Just looking forward to mother! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Wonder89 said:

But what she do for be so hated in the web?

Nothing.  Like all other actors, she tries to be likable on promo tours. Unlike most, she tries to disappear when not on promo tours, but tabloids write about how relatable she is if she walks her dog.   People hate the popular kid if they are the jealous sort.

4 hours ago, Super Robertman2 Odyssey said:

Td;lr she's popular and that's bad

this

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Additionally, thing might have made her just a tad less loved by some...her "poor me, I am a mutimillionaire but my male co-star got more millions than I did; sexism!!"

She never said she was so relatable, but she is click bait so tabloids do incessantly even when she is doing things of much greater note that don't check their boxes. People get sick of seeing her and act like it is her fault.

Re 'infamous scolding' the tabloid otherwise known as Variety took a 20 something second clip out of context and repeatedly tweeted it after the JLaw love fest died down after her GG win, and the dark twitter backlash against the popular kid arrived.  The result was predictable. For how representative that is of the world, look at whatever is trending at any given time, currently:

#QueenSugar

#MakeTVShowsCanadian

#MLSAllStar

#RHONY

#TheSinner

Statue of Liberty

Stephen Miller's Statue of Liberty remarks disturbed many

Dwyer

The Dark Tower

Miguel

Miguel covers Sza's The Weekend

Jake Thompson

As to what really happened at the Globes, several tried to say, but were drowned out:

http://www.rogerebert.com/festivals-and-awards/jennifer-lawrence-versus-cellphones-i-would-choose-Peeta

Her 'wage equality' essay, if you read it says she never blamed the studio, she blamed herself for giving up negotiations early to be liked.  She has said she could hardly expect a studio to give her money she didn't ask for.  Calling it "poor me, I am a mutimillionaire but my male co-star got more millions than I did; sexism!!", means you either didn't read it or are simply lying, which I'm sure Cochoflos wouldn't do.  So here is a link to the real thing: http://www.lennyletter.com/work/a147/jennifer-lawrence-why-do-i-make-less-than-my-male-costars/

39 minutes ago, straggler said:

Major stars, especially young major female stars, tend to get overanalyzed and backlashed against. And Jlaw was as major a star as you will find. She emerged like James Dean. Not just box office success but also tremendous critical success. So of course there is going to be some backlashing and people looking for excuses not to like her. It was entirely predictable. But beyond a few internet haters, Jlaw is fine. Cannot please everyone and who really cares?  

Just looking forward to mother! 

This!

The 'twitter hate' is a minority and then focused on Robbie, Stone, etc etc.  It's a predictable backlash by a segment of people who are shouting because no one is listening, imho.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Jeriosnal said:

Jennifer Lawrence is a really bad actress at conveying emotion.  She does middle-school drama class level Lifetime-quality emoting during her freakouts.  That "murderer!" in the trailer?  Amateurish; compare that to what Evan Rachel Wood or Leonardo DiCaprio do in heightened scenes.  I think she has spunk and some charisma when she just needs to be energetic onscreen, but every time she's had to convey some complex emotional state or cry or lose it onscreen (at least post-Winter's Bone), I've cringed while watching.  I think she's gonna be embarrassed by Pfeiffer and Bardem, frankly.    

LOL

• Like 1

How many times has she tripped over her gowns?'

The first time was kind of endearing.  When it kept happening, people thought it was an act.

BTW, the Jennifer Lawrence of Winter's Bone era really was down-to-earth and normal.  Unfortunately, she really did change as her star got bigger.

Winter's Bone is still her best performance by a mile.

J-Law is a terrific actress and the venom that she gets is embarrassing. Pretty sure if I were under the level of scrutiny she is I'd be lynched for some of the stuff I'd say/do - and I like to think I'm a nice guy!

The only thing people love to do more than big somebody up is to knock them down. J-Law, unfortunately, exemplifies that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Jen falls down all the time period. She says she knows people think it's an act and she would too if she were them. She's a clutz in 7 inch heels. On the other hand, every time she does anything it's on camera, so what she does is unusually emphasized. Think what you like about that.

Do you know what you get if you do a spectogram of the audio in the mother! instagram? (And who thinks to do this stuff, Collider?)

http://collider.com/mother-posters-easter-eggs/amp/

mother-instagram-audio.png

• Like 1

While they are legitimate, reasons to not like her, so what?  Some are blown out of proportion, some may be made up, and yeah some are just out there.  But this isn't new to any actress or actor and it doesn't affect how fans see her or her movies, so it's not a big deal really.  The people that don't like her most likely were never going to see her movies anyway, so really there is no loss.  Those who like her will continue to like her so that's what matters

I don't have any issue with her  but if people do, that's on them.