kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

I'm going all in:

Sep 15: 35M (15M weekdays, 50M Total)

Sep 22: 23M (9.7M weekdays, 82.7M Total)

Sep 29: 15.4M (6.5M weekdays, 104.6M Total)

Oct 6: 10M (4.2M weekdays, 118.8M Total)

Oct 13: 6M (2.6M weekdays, 127.4M Total)

Oct 20: 3.6M (1.6M weekdays, 132.6M Total)

Oct 27: 2.3M (1.2M weekdays, 136.1M Total)

Nov 3: 1.3M (600k weekdays, 138M Total)

Final Total: 141M (4.03x)

This will be Paramount's highest grossing film of the year domestically and beat It.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

If it open really wide 15 September (say 2300+ theater), what would be a comparable, is there one ?

Crimson Peak 13m in 2984 theater maybe ? But that was a bit more on the gothic-romance than horror

The Witch 8.8m ? that had the arthouse horror movie wide release going on, but first time director without a name.

Shutter Island had Leo-Scorsese in a mega production with a mega release.

Black Swan could be a close one, but that was a platform release pushed by an high concept and clear aesthetic that created lot of appeal before anyone saw the movie.

Really not an easy movie to predict, specially with a trailer that does not show any goal/what would one root for/much spectacle like this, not much of a minimum and could go really low (It come at night did 6m, The Witch 8.8m) if the review/festival reception does not push it strongly and could go above 20m if it play close to some other "strait" not seen like too art-house horror (Like the Crimson Peak/The Witch/It come at night treatment got from audience).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

I don't think this will fall victim to deceptive marketing like Covenant and ICAN. The former promised a slasher flick when it was a sequel to Prometheus, and the latter promised an ENTIRELY different movie than what was actually there. mother!'s general plot is pretty clear, and there's enough gore and whatnot to show it's a horror film. The jumpscare type? No, but I don't think that'll matter much. Split and Get Out's trailers were devoid of jumpscares for the most part, and you can count on one hand the amount of times both films actually utilized jumpscares.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

looks interesting, Lawrence looks miscast acting along all those old pros, but maybe that's the point

She was pitched the project first and confirmed before anyone else was hired.  DA clearly wants youth and innocence/naivete which may transform, or spiral, who knows, it's Aronofsky.

DGro4p6VYAEgQmu.jpg

DGro5vgUMAE7CXU.jpg

DGro6DbXcAAL4JY.jpg

She seems to hold her own to me.

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

mother!'s general plot is pretty clear, and there's enough gore and whatnot to show it's a horror film. The jumpscare type? No, but I don't think that'll matter much. Split and Get Out's trailers were devoid of jumpscares for the most part, and you can count on one hand the amount of times both films actually utilized jumpscares.

Not sure how the general plot/high concept is clear, really far from being the really clear Split/Get out example (those being pretty much clear in the title and their marketing).

Has for the casting choice, I imagine that it is part of it yes (being younger and intimidated by those others really intimidating face with her bringing out innocence, the poster gave that impression at least)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

After reading the synopsis I was pretty meh. But planned on seeing it for Lawrence and  Aronfsky. After the trailer it's topped my must see fall releases. As much as I'm rooting for IT, it better watch its back. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

I had zero interest for this but...it looks absolutely phenomenal.Count me in. It seems like one of these very rare atmospheric horror films that don't rely on jumpscares to disturb you but on plot ,performances and atmosphere...which is waaaay more terryfying.

P.S: After all these years Michelle Pfeifer is still one of the most beautiful actresses working.So excited about her comeback.

From the trailer alone, this looks like a cheap horror movie that just happens to feature some A-list star. But given that the debut date of this movie is sandwiched between two particular movies with this movie being one week apart from either of them... I am freaking GAME. THIS MOVIE NEEDS TO BE A SUCCESS. No other option is accepted. 

• Like 1

Hmm.

Is this really as much of a horror as they're advertising it as? I get a weird vibe. 

Plus it's worrying that we just got the first trailer and the film comes out in a month

It it looks interesting to me but I don't know if general audiences will bite.