kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

21 hours ago, AJG said:

If you grew up with those lame Christian movies that were modern day interpretations of bible stories than this movie is just really boring.

Those old Davey and Goliath shows on Sunday morning were more interesting than Mother.

• Like 1

Seen this one today and I can say, it was quite intriguing, if not a little bit "obvious". If you're making an allegory, your point should be more concealed than how it was handled in this movie, the message was all over the place. Also, all the characters with the exception of Mother were so annoying, I just waited the whole movie for her to lose her shit and kill them all. Talking about Mother, JLaw should get an Oscar nom for sure, this was her one of her finest performances yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Titan Man said:

Seen this one today and I can say, it was quite intriguing, if not a little bit "obvious". If you're making an allegory, your point should be more concealed than how it was handled in this movie, the message was all over the place. Also, all the characters with the exception of Mother were so annoying, I just waited the whole movie for her to lose her shit and kill them all. Talking about Mother, JLaw should get an Oscar nom for sure, this was her one of her finest performances yet.

Hmm.  You know, there’s been a couple of films in recent years I really loved.

Neon Demon.  This.  I think Neon Demon is more “guilty” of what you’re saying, which correct me if I’m wrong...being too...on the nose.  I think mother! is less so.  I think you agree actually, in the same sentence as being too obvious.

Its totally obvious it functions on the allegorical level, but in questioning what that allegory is, unlike Neon Demon, there’s many ways to read this film.  You clearly see that, I think that’s a positive, I think you see that as a flaw.  I think many audience members just didn’t like it went there at all, your criticism has much more nuance than those F CinemaScope viewers.  I can appreciate your point of view.

That being said, I loved this  film, think it’s brilliant, and am not surprised at all it was no mainstream success.  I agree JLaw did an incredible job, I can see why some might think so.  The movie, hell her performance is aggressive and potentially grating, but inteiotnally so.  I could go on, I don’t know who I’m really talking to right now you got what the movie was doing.  I just really liked this movie.  I’ve been told I get a little too excited about movies the feature some form of cannibalism too, is that a bad thing?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kowhite said:

Hmm.  You know, there’s been a couple of films in recent years I really loved.

Neon Demon.  This.  I think Neon Demon is more “guilty” of what you’re saying, which correct me if I’m wrong...being too...on the nose.  I think mother! is less so.  I think you agree actually, in the same sentence as being too obvious.

Its totally obvious it functions on the allegorical level, but in questioning what that allegory is, unlike Neon Demon, there’s many ways to read this film.  You clearly see that, I think that’s a positive, I think you see that as a flaw.  I think many audience members just didn’t like it went there at all, your criticism has much more nuance than those F CinemaScope viewers.  I can appreciate your point of view.

That being said, I loved this  film, think it’s brilliant, and am not surprised at all it was no mainstream success.  I agree JLaw did an incredible job, I can see why some might think so.  The movie, hell her performance is aggressive and potentially grating, but inteiotnally so.  I could go on, I don’t know who I’m really talking to right now you got what the movie was doing.  I just really liked this movie.  I’ve been told I get a little too excited about movies the feature some form of cannibalism too, is that a bad thing?

I totally loved the idea of this film, but I do believe it could've been handled slightly better than it was, Black Swan totally pulled that off, even though mother! still ended up being an excellent piece of filmmaking.

Also, it totally deserved that F CinemaScore, Paramount should not have marketed it as a horror movie, which, I believe, ended up hurting the movie in the long run. 

No worries, don't we all get excited about movies featuring cannibalism? :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

tumblr_p1by2kHgT61u5i578o3_r1_400.gif

Any ideas ?

:thinking:

Hmm, this one puzzled me, I'm not quite sure what it's meant to be, maybe it represents Earth's efforts (climate change, shifts between warm and cold ages through history) to avoid, or at least slow down, its own inevitable destruction.

Edited by Titan Man
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Titan Man said:

Hmm, this one puzzled me, I'm not quite sure what it's meant to be, maybe it represents Earth's efforts (climate change, shifts between warm and cold ages through history) to avoid, or at least slow down, its own inevitable destruction.

I think the same, a representation of earth willingness to adjust and that willingness that stop over too much being asked.

• Thanks 1

Looks like Jennifer Lawrence made the final list and is officially nominated for Worst Actress.

This is up for Worst Director too.

The Razzies are shit though, they always go for easy headline grabbing targets. Although Baywatch fully deserves its place.

Edited by Krissykins