kayumanggi

UNDERWATER | Fox | 10 JAN 2020 | William Eubank to direct

31 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

At 52% right now, a higher RT score than I was expecting.

Yep, was just coming here to say that. Although we're only at 27 reviews so that could change big time.

I just hope the movie doesn't outright bomb and that at the very least it can provide some proof of concept. I want studios to get back on board with non-franchise sci-fi horror, the sub-genre has taken a beating the last few years. I doubt Disney will make movies like this again, but if the movie does any business at all it'll send a signal to other studios. Disney is clearly treating the movie like a sunk cost and "dumped" it, it doesn't seem they put anything into marketing it. Kind of a shame, the reviews are far from terrible and it seems it surpassed expectations (albeit low expectations) of many critics. For me the bar for success is low. The movie will clearly be a loss for Disney, but if it can do better than the dismal BO expectations I think that will still be relatively positive for the sub-genre

• Like 2

This is at 47% right now. Not glowing obviously but way better than I expected. I’ve seen some positive tweets about it too. I’ll probably try to catch this on discount Tuesday or something. Makes you wonder how this movie could have done had it gotten released during the summer.

Honestly January doesn’t seem as bad as I thought it would be so far quality wise. But the box office is not looking too hot apart from a movie here and there. 

Edited by Nova

2 hours ago, Nova said:

This is at 47% right now. Not glowing obviously but way better than I expected. I’ve seen some positive tweets about it too. I’ll probably try to catch this on discount Tuesday or something. Makes you wonder how this movie could have done had it gotten released during the summer.

Honestly January doesn’t seem as bad as I thought it would be so far quality wise. But the box office is not looking too hot apart from a movie here and there. 

Probably woulda done slightly less than Crawl numbers imo. With a better date and proper campaign I woulda guessed something like 13/35

As for now, 7/18

I wonder if Disney will treat other finished Fox movies similarly or make more effort for some of them. I expect them to make some effort for Call of The Wild because it is something that will also play at Disney+ later on. Woman in the Window may be DOA unfortunately because it ain't ever gonna play on Disney+. The King's Man is a question mark after they inexplicably delayed it by 7 months and gave it the Ad Astra release date.

16 minutes ago, TLK said:

I wonder if Disney will treat other finished Fox movies similarly or make more effort for some of them. I expect them to make some effort for Call of The Wild because it is something that will also play at Disney+ later on. Woman in the Window may be DOA unfortunately because it ain't ever gonna play on Disney+. The King's Man is a question mark after they inexplicably delayed it by 7 months and gave it the Ad Astra release date.

In fairness, it's also the last Kingsman release date as well, so there's a precedent there. Still wish it was staying on Presidents' Day weekend though.

This was fine. I really liked the ending, but the middle dragged a bit and it was sometimes confusing visually, especially in regards to who is in the suit on screen. But otherwise solidly directed with some nice cinematography and sound work that are good at building tension. Characters were bland but that’s totally expected.

T.J. Miller was AWFUL though. Literally every time he opened his mouth was a joke attempt and not one landed.

6/10

Edited by nick64

It isn't even close to CRAWL at all.

I'm a big fan of Monsters movies, and, the subject of this movie, but it was all a big mess.

The cast does it's best, but none of them can work with characters that has zero development or personality at all.

T.J MIller was awful, as the member above said, I have no idea why Hollywood insists in putting comic relief in movies that tries to generate tension, his character killed any tension evertyime he said something.

The direction is able to build tension in some moments, but overall, it's a visually mess, where we can barely see what's going on, there were times when we didn't even know who was under attack.

It tries so hard to be an Alien movie, too bad it's more like Alien: Covenant.

C

500'000 Thrusday night, Ten million OW best case scenario, and even that looks doubtful.

Variety is out and out saying it's bombing, and the Bible of Showbiz is usually pretty conservative in it';s prediction.

This is sinking at the box office...…..

17 hours ago, TLK said:

It all depends on the movie, you can't criticize Disney for refusing to spend money on a film they think is crappy and is going to bomb no matter what.