Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Then please, do tell!

Media Franchise - A media franchise is a collection of related media in which several derivative works have been produced from an original creative work, such as a film, a work of literature, a television program or a video game.

Re: Film - a series where a central character(s) is often explored in various ways

This board is about Films

I can objectively agree that Avatar fits to some degree the term franchise in that it has ONE movie, One circus themed play, book series(I lost track those come out yet?), and at least one video game. As a property it has been represented in various media forms not unlike Trek/Wars/Potter/CBM

However, the important distinction on a FILM site discussing franchises is about just that FILMS. Avatar has one film, get back to us Dec 2020.

17 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

:rolleyes: That's all this deserves

See my other post about more discussion of actual franchises. I know you two have made it Avatar vs CBM vs SW in your head and every other poster must be in one of those camps. The reality is a majority of us enjoy so many more films that this "battle" is exhausting. 

I talk about films I like when they're brought up! It only seems to be the latest comic book news and Avatar in here though. Don't act like I drown discussion this thread goes 4 days unbumped without me.

Just now, Captain Craig said:

However, the important distinction on a FILM site discussing franchises is about just that FILMS. Avatar has one film, get back to us Dec 2020.

Within the 'Avatar franchise' (per your own definition) then maybe this argument has certain strength. However, it's also obviously clear that it's also actually just one in the 'Jake' franchise though, famously including other such films as Chinatown. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Here's a fun game: 

Searches "Film Franchise" -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_series -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_universe -> "Another, more recent, famous fictional universe is that of the Avatar film series, as James Cameron has invented an entire ecosystem, with a team of scientists to test whether it was viable. Additionally, he commissioned a linguistics expert to invent the Na'vi language."

Just three clicks required! 

I only needed the first click.

A film series or movie series (also referred to as a film franchise or movie franchise) is a collection of related films in succession that share the same fictional universe, or are marketed as a series

Get back to me when there is a COLLECTION of related AVATAR films.

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I talk about films I like when they're brought up! It only seems to be the latest comic book news and Avatar in here though. Don't act like I drown discussion this thread goes 4 days unbumped without me.

Therein lies the problem I feel. The Mods to their credit wanted to create a thread where under discussed films, with fandoms, could pop in and compare/contrast/speculate on those franchises. 

However, due to the current environment of the industry only a few franchises are really making real headlines thus drowning out what I think was the purpose of the thread. 

I feel the thread goes days without getting bumped cause it's become a bad satire on re-run. As I stated, prior to today I've not visited the thread for days for just that reason.

14 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I only needed the first click.

Get back to me when there is a COLLECTION of related AVATAR films.

These JC fans are getting schooled mate. Keep up the good work. 

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Therein lies the problem I feel. The Mods to their credit wanted to create a thread where under discussed films, with fandoms, could pop in and compare/contrast/speculate on those franchises. 

However, due to the current environment of the industry only a few franchises are really making real headlines thus drowning out what I think was the purpose of the thread. 

I feel the thread goes days without getting bumped cause it's become a bad satire on re-run. As I stated, prior to today I've not visited the thread for days for just that reason.

The thread was originally created as an attempt to put all the stupid DC vs Marvel discussions in this one thread so they wouldn't pop up everywhere. It worked to a point. It eventually expanded to include every franchise and then every fanboy property (including Avatar). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Imagine opening the front page and seeing 15+ comic book related threads.. become bad satire tbh

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 2

I think the negative reaction to the two Avatar/Cameron fans is pretty silly.  They're not rude or mean or name calling, easy to ignore if you want to, and considering this is a box office forum I'm surprised there are only 2 posters who go on about Avatar and Titanic since those movies completely blow everything else out of the arena from the last 30 years except for TFA dom.

Tangentially, the Avatar hate makes me like it a little bit more.  Enough to actually rewatch it a few weeks ago and even though the story and dialogue is cliche and even laughable at points it really is a visual feast and I am most definitely looking forward to #2 as a movie theater experience, I'll even see it in 3D if Cameron says that's his recommendation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All SW films except for AotC have finished #1 for the year (excluding re-releases) dom I think. AotC was #3 behind SM1 and LOTR2.

Solo is sure to miss top 5 as BP, AIW, DP2, JW2 and I2 at least will finish above it. Other films that can beat it (even if improbable) are AM&W, WiR2, Grinch, FB2, AQM and Poppins.

41 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The thread was originally created as an attempt to put all the stupid DC vs Marvel discussions in this one thread so they wouldn't pop up everywhere. It worked to a point. It eventually expanded to include every franchise and then every fanboy property (including Avatar)

With that understanding if there were a few rabid fanboys of any film their contribution by that definition goes into this thread. Correct? I've go to think even the most marginal films out there have their groupies. 

• Community Manager
Just now, Captain Craig said:

With that understanding if there were a few rabid fanboys of any film their contribution by that definition goes into this thread. Correct? I've go to think even the most marginal films out there have their groupies. 

Sure they can contribute to this thread. Better this thread than going to other threads and derailing them to claim their marginal movie is better. :)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Imagine opening the front page and seeing 15+ comic book related threads.. become bad satire tbh

Given that in any calendar year there are 6-10 CBM between Marvel(Disney)/DC(Warners)/Fox/Sony it makes sense that there would be at minimum 1 per film. Then as folks make clubs that number doubles. Add in Star Wars a Fantastic Beast and sure the first page can indeed look very topic specific. 

I don't deny that and to some one who sees CBM largely as an anathema that has to annoy you. I don't discount your feelings on that. However, that is the state of the current market ergo, the threads are justified. 

I imagine there will be a span in 2020/2021 where the front page has A2 and A3 threads of various discussion. Your time is coming.

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

This thread if for pointless flame wars. Nobody should be banned from it for these reasons.

If anything, all pointless "franchise" posts in other threads should be moved here.

:Venom:

4 hours ago, MattW said:

I think the negative reaction to the two Avatar/Cameron fans is pretty silly.  They're not rude or mean or name calling, easy to ignore if you want to, and considering this is a box office forum I'm surprised there are only 2 posters who go on about Avatar and Titanic since those movies completely blow everything else out of the arena from the last 30 years except for TFA dom.

Tangentially, the Avatar hate makes me like it a little bit more.  Enough to actually rewatch it a few weeks ago and even though the story and dialogue is cliche and even laughable at points it really is a visual feast and I am most definitely looking forward to #2 as a movie theater experience, I'll even see it in 3D if Cameron says that's his recommendation.

I think it shows just how insecure certain fan bases are that they can't beat the King that two posters can make them discuss censorship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't understand the complains about @IronJimbo or @JamesCameronScholar either. I don't think they insult anyone. They are here because they love Cameron so that's gonna be their discussion topic. If anyone is sooo annoyed there is an ignore option to use.

I think it's their running down every other franchise then "Avatar" and there constant insistence that Money equals Quality that annoys people.