Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Urban Cinefile had their review up on the 23rd - it's on RT so I guess they broke Embargo early.   

This is a pattern with the WB and the DCEU which release their films day and date for the most part so there's no excuse about a 10 day lag time between O/S and Domestic and timing.  Considering the awful reviews their last two movies have had you'd think they would want to capitalize on positive reviews and build like Fox did with Deadpool and Logan. 

RT has far more of a reach than Twitter when it comes to reviews, otherwise studios wouldn't be worried about it's outsized impact.  So why not take advantage of it.

Why is this moved to Franchise Wars.  I'm talking about the timing of release or reviews as correlating to buzz and possible ticket sales.  Everything mentioning the DCEU doesn't need to have the kid glove treatment and isn't about stupid Fan Wars. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out that, with Fate of the Furious having just crossed 1 billion dollars OS this weekend, the Fast and Furious franchise has firmly cemented its place as the number 1 OS franchise for the time being, beating out Marvel, Star Wars, Wizarding World, and others. The only franchise in the foreseeable future that could top it is Avatar.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

Just wanted to point out that, with Fate of the Furious having just crossed 1 billion dollars OS this weekend, the Fast and Furious franchise has firmly cemented its place as the number 1 OS franchise for the time being, beating out Marvel, Star Wars, Wizarding World, and others. The only franchise in the foreseeable future that could top it is Avatar.

Avatar 2 will likely make F7 and F8's OS grosses look small in comparison. I wouldn't rule out it being the first franchise with back to back $2 billion OS films. It will drop in a lot of markets because of the exchange rates, but the gains in China will make up for it. The first film made $204 million in China seven years ago, which adjusts to almost $1 billion today.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Avatar 2 will likely make F7 and F8's OS grosses look small in comparison. I wouldn't rule out it being the first franchise with back to back $2 billion OS films. It will drop in a lot of markets because of the exchange rates, but the gains in China will make up for it. The first film made $204 million in China seven years ago, which adjusts to almost $1 billion today.

No it doesn't. Admissions-wise it's not even in China's alltime top 5 at this point. China's alltime No.1 is The Mermaid from last year, which made $530m and its attendance is over 3 times as much as Avatar. Adjusted from ticket price inflation Avatar's gross in China will in fact be less than $200m.

But of cause it does give you some idea of how Avatar 2 will perform in China.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

No it doesn't. Admissions-wise it's not even in China's alltime top 5 at this point. China's alltime No.1 is The Mermaid from last year, which made $530m and its attendance is over 3 times more than Avatar. Adjusted from ticket price inflation Avatar's gross in China will in fact be less than $200m.

But of cause it does give you some idea of how Avatar 2 will perform in China.

Adjusted for market size, not for ticket inflation.

Man how the fuck avatar did 2.8 billion WW. I'm not talking about hype, quality etc. Just in box office terms. I think avatar is no more no.1 in majority of major countries.

The more I look at it the more crazy it seems. All this fims with all their hype can't do half of OS total of avatar.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Adjusted for market size, not for ticket inflation.

Well, Avatar counted for about 13.5% of 2010 total yearly boxoffice. Use this % for 2016, yes it does give you a $950m-1BN Avatar. But competition was so much stronger in 2016 than in 2010, and so this $1BN is not fair at all. For example, 2016's No.1 film The Mermaid only counted for 7.5% of the yearly boxoffice.

Edited by vc2002

9 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Man how the fuck avatar did 2.8 billion WW. I'm not talking about hype, quality etc. Just in box office terms. I think avatar is no more no.1 in majority of major countries.

The more I look at it the more crazy it seems. All this fims with all their hype can't do half of OS total of avatar.

The same way Titanic made $1.8BN in 1998.

Cameron simply got lucky, twice.:whip:

• Like 1

Just now, vc2002 said:

Well, Avatar counted for about 13.5% of 2010 total yearly boxoffice. Use this % for 2016, yes it does give you a $950m-1BN Avatar. But competition was so much stronger in 2016 than in 2010, and so this $1BN isn't not fair at all.  2016's No.1 film The Mermaid only counted for 7.5% of the yearly boxoffice.

True, I'm not saying Avatar 2 would make $1 billion if released today in China. Just that $204 million in 2010 was an insanely impressive figure for China's market size at the time.

• Like 1

Man, I'm sure WB can't believe their luck that Marvel never made a big female CBM yet, in this current era. Captain Marvel is going to do well, but not as well as it could have done. Wonder Woman will take away some of its novelty and thunder. Kinda like how Avengers will the take the novelty off Justice league and Aquaman will do the same to a possible Namor film. 

3 hours ago, Gokai Red said:

Geez....sure takes the luster off crossing the billion threshold.    Kinda like in the NBA when Steve Nash won the MVP award 2 years in a row.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2017 at 7:32 AM, Johnny Tran said:

@The Futurist  Vol. 2 was a good movie, I liked it a lot but educational?  You might want to look back at some of that dialogue. I won't post the jokes here but for those who have seen it, we all know the kind of humor I'm talking about. I'd only use the word educational if you meant at an elementary level.  

That's exactly what The Futurist said, it's educational for the GoTG target audience.

About Avatar in china!

They had 4700 screens in China by the end of 2009, with not many 3d capable.
Right now they have over 32000 screens which is 6.8x more, lots with imax/3d capability.

It wasn't until 2014 when China's market had boomed that Avatar was toppled.

I love looking at this list because only 1 film is from another decade and it's pretty high up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_China

Somewhere between The Mermaid and $1B is what I'm expecting, I'm hoping over $700m atleast.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That's exactly what The Futurist said, it's educational for the GoTG target audience.

About Avatar in china!

They had 4700 screens in China by the end of 2009, with not many 3d capable.
Right now they have over 32000 screens which is 6.8x more, lots with imax/3d capability.

It wasn't until 2014 when China's market had boomed that Avatar was toppled.

I love looking at this list because only 1 film is from another decade and it's pretty high up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_China

Somewhere between The Mermaid and $1B is what I'm expecting, I'm hoping over $700m atleast.

After seeing how F7 and F8 performed, thinking A2 will do similar. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

After seeing how F7 and F8 performed, thinking A2 will do similar. 

Avatar 2 should at minimum become the highest-grossing film again in China when released. It won't be released until January 2021 most likely in China, so that's 3+ years of additional market growth and inflation. I agree with @IronJimbo that a good benchmark would be over $700 million for Avatar 2 in China. In 2010, Avatar tripled the next highest-grossing film in China at the time.

China is not growing anymore. Guardians barely increased in 3 years. MI5 did not increase that much from MI4. I am not sure another 3 years will help that much. Plus we dont know the competition landscape. Avatar had an open run for 2 months. Now movies are churned at a faster rate.

But Cameron is the king in China. So it should break some records. But how much we cannot guess until close to release.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

China is not growing anymore. Guardians barely increased in 3 years. MI5 did not increase that much from MI4. I am not sure another 3 years will help that much. Plus we dont know the competition landscape. Avatar had an open run for 2 months. Now movies are churned at a faster rate.

But Cameron is the king in China. So it should break some records. But how much we cannot guess until close to release.

He is THE director when it comes to box office, I mean making the highest grossing film of all time, not once, but twice though? He is the king everywhere!

I suppose Star Wars made more than Avatar in the US and the UK, you can't really call Disney a King though, it's a studio not a person. Also the US and UK are places where kids are brainwashed into loving Star Wars from a young age, I've experienced it first hand in the UK. Hopefully the Avatar saga will make history and topple 40 years worth of franchising by Star Wars and become the biggest franchise.

6 minutes ago, XO21 said:

After 8 years none really care about Avatar...let's see how the 2 goes

This is already debunked by google tracking where it's searched same no. Of times as star wars or avengers.

Also high youtube views to anything related to avatar.