Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

17 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The fact they're igoring you says all you need to know Jimbo. They can't handle the truth.

People really lack respect for Jim on a box office site of all places

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

....that's sarcasm, right?

Well, sure pre-Titanic as well, but pre-Titanic movies are far & few between.

Turn of the century, Star Wars shot back so close to the top just shy of JP. For most of the decade, magic & sorcery was the drug between the final LOTR chapter, Potter & POTC. These all also showed us how big/vast fictional worlds can be.

Late 2000s -> TDK = all those spy/heist/action thrillers with various vehicles we now love so much

Avatar then caps off the decade with magic, sorcery & scifi + a CG standard that has only been surpassed by less mainstream endeavors (seriously, please throw more money or skill or general effort into less floating heads on nonexistant bodies)

I typically point to Transformers and not some Roland Emmerich movies as establishing how much audiences craved to bring their world smack dab in the middle of these literally larger than life things, so it was only a matter of time for its first billie.

Without Bayhem, The Avengers would feel more special.

Without FnF, phase one Marvel Cinematic Universe would feel like something I have never experienced in my lifetime.

The number of animated features that made the club, especially not being exclusive to Disney/Pixar, is what stands out the most for me in regards to the 2010s. Can only imagine the exponential growth of that in the 2020s as became the case for franchise features of the 2010s.

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I feel like anyone who seriously uses the term SJW has some serious bigoted skeletons in their closet.

I feel like anyone who seriously uses "I feel like anyone who seriously..." has been in a social media bubble long enough.

When folks took what they do behind a screen to reality:

Related image

2 hours ago, 2kt09 said:

Well, sure pre-Titanic as well, but pre-Titanic movies are far & few between.

Turn of the century, Star Wars shot back so close to the top just shy of JP. For most of the decade, magic & sorcery was the drug between the final LOTR chapter, Potter & POTC. These all also showed us how big/vast fictional worlds can be.

Late 2000s -> TDK = all those spy/heist/action thrillers with various vehicles we now love so much

Avatar then caps off the decade with magic, sorcery & scifi + a CG standard that has only been surpassed by less mainstream endeavors (seriously, please throw more money or skill or general effort into less floating heads on nonexistant bodies)

I typically point to Transformers and not some Roland Emmerich movies as establishing how much audiences craved to bring their world smack dab in the middle of these literally larger than life things, so it was only a matter of time for its first billie.

Without Bayhem, The Avengers would feel more special.

Without FnF, phase one Marvel Cinematic Universe would feel like something I have never experienced in my lifetime.

The number of animated features that made the club, especially not being exclusive to Disney/Pixar, is what stands out the most for me in regards to the 2010s. Can only imagine the exponential growth of that in the 2020s as became the case for franchise features of the 2010s.

Well, The Avengers was only the 2nd billie superhero movie, so I think it's about more than just leaving audiences with larger than life things.... it's about leaving audiences with larger than life characters. When it comes to big action blockbusters, people care about the characters every bit as much as they do about story. And obviously, people care about rewarding pay-off, since all of Phase One, from the highs to the lows, led to that moment. It proved that you can, in fact, take an ensemble of larger than life characters and successfully throw them in the same blender without the formula blowing up all over the kitchen. Why is it that every studio has tried to replicate the Marvel formula ever since Avengers? DC, The Conjuring, The Amazing Spider-Man, the MonsterVerse, the Dark Universe, Lego, even Star Wars.... they all tried this approach, with varied levels of success.

I thought you were trolling because when you mentioned how every movie says something about the moviegoing experience, I believed you meant in the sense that every individual movie had a special message and broke cinematic ground on its own right (what exactly does a Fate Of The Furious or a Despicable Me 3 have in those regards?). If you mean in the sense of contextualizing their success, then, without Avengers, no other superhero movies that didn't feature Batman or Spider-Man in them would have succeeded anywhere near as big as they did. Without Avengers, franchise filmmaking right now would be radically different, and audience interest would be far less focused on only a handful of genres right now. Without Avengers, those looking for a new fad after the fantasy breakout of the 2000's (through Potter, Rings and Pirates) would probably still be looking out for that fad as we speak.

The Dark Knight was the 1st superhero movie to hit the billie, but under very different circumstances. It was a movie that helped estabilish the superhero genre, though.... but The Avengers was the 1st one that really boomed it as "the next big thing". And finally, you mention that the spectacle and heart/humor blend of Marvel would have been more novelty without F&F or Bayformers, but don't forget that Avengers, at the time, was something that a lot of people never even dreamed of seeing.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, The Avengers was only the 2nd billie superhero movie, so I think it's about more than just leaving audiences with larger than life things.... it's about leaving audiences with larger than life characters. When it comes to big action blockbusters, people care about the characters every bit as much as they do about story. And obviously, people care about rewarding pay-off, since all of Phase One, from the highs to the lows, led to that moment. It proved that you can, in fact, take an ensemble of larger than life characters and successfully throw them in the same blender without the formula blowing up all over the kitchen. Why is it that every studio has tried to replicate the Marvel formula ever since Avengers? DC, The Conjuring, The Amazing Spider-Man, the MonsterVerse, the Dark Universe, Lego, even Star Wars.... they all tried this approach, with varied levels of success.

I thought you were trolling because when you mentioned how every movie says something about the moviegoing experience, I believed you meant in the sense that every individual movie had a special message and broke cinematic ground on its own right (what exactly does a Fate Of The Furious or a Despicable Me 3 have in those regards?). If you mean in the sense of contextualizing their success, then, without Avengers, no other superhero movies that didn't feature Batman or Spider-Man in them would have succeeded anywhere near as big as they did. Without Avengers, franchise filmmaking right now would be radically different, and audience interest would be far less focused on only a handful of genres right now. Without Avengers, those looking for a new fad after the fantasy breakout of the 2000's (through Potter, Rings and Pirates) would probably still be looking out for that fad as we speak.

The Dark Knight was the 1st superhero movie to hit the billie, but under very different circumstances. It was a movie that helped estabilish the superhero genre, though.... but The Avengers was the 1st one that really boomed it as "the next big thing". And finally, you mention that the spectacle and heart/humor blend of Marvel would have been more novelty without F&F or Bayformers, but don't forget that Avengers, at the time, was something that a lot of people never even dreamed of seeing.

Actually, I bring up F&F because of the formula of how movies piece together. Heck, Marvel One Shots reminded me of what F&F used to do.  Bayformers places our visceral grasp of the superhero genre to the forefront - the ol' mcguffin hunting larger than life characters taking on scores of larger than life enemies with a foot firmly placed in our world. The Dark Knight brought to the forefront what we understand of the action genre as aforementioned in my previous post.

After the frequency of Marvel movies from various studios & the kinds of movies doing big numbers in the 2000s, The Avengers came across as a foregone conclusion. Feige states he amalgamated what he learned from his work on those other Marvel movies.

If not The Avengers, another Marvel IP would've done it.

Btw, do you know what the first smash hit Marvel movie is that made more than Batman or Superman (unadjusted)?

*Hint* It's the second highest grossing movie the year it was released behind Titanic.

I only referred to movies that crossed those milestones. Fate of the Furious is continuing blockbuster fads. What they do with cars & people might as well be the western equivalent of "wire fu". Despicable Me is indicative of what audiences expect from an animated feature & they couldn't be more clear when the spinoff made as much as it did.

Edited by 2kt09

10 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

After the frequency of Marvel movies from various studios & the kinds of movies doing big numbers in the 2000s, The Avengers came across as a foregone conclusion. Feige states he amalgamated what he learned from his work on those other Marvel movies.

If not The Avengers, there were plenty of superhero franchises at the time that would've took its place.

I think what @MCKillswitch123 is getting at is the quality of "The Avengers" is something people never dreamed of seeing. There were studios trying to capitalize off the success of Raimi's Spider-Man flicks and Singer's X-Men films, but with the exception of Christopher Nolan's trilogy, comic book films at that point were simply cash grabs using already-built worlds and plugging in popular villains, with no higher, overarching goal in mind.

25 minutes ago, I Am said:

I think what @MCKillswitch123 is getting at is the quality of "The Avengers" is something people never dreamed of seeing. There were studios trying to capitalize off the success of Raimi's Spider-Man flicks and Singer's X-Men films, but with the exception of Christopher Nolan's trilogy, comic book films at that point were simply cash grabs using already-built worlds and plugging in popular villains, with no higher, overarching goal in mind.

Aside from those IPs you just mentioned, most of the cbm's at that point were of characters more obscure than The Avengers. Hollywood used to produce original superhero content outside of animation. WB used to put out non-superhero cbm's. If anything, we're currently living in that cash grab era.

Edited by 2kt09

4 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Every era of studio films is a cash grab era

Exactly, lol. It's cute when some people pretend that some films are cash crabs and some aren't. This is a business folks. Don't try to claim any moral high ground with one film over another.

Also, to @I Am's point about handing money over to "white and Jewish movie executives": I actually do see the point you're making in your post, but there's no need to distinguish, as if it would be any different with black movie executives. Again, there's no moral high ground here. Executives of all races and skin colours have one job and that's to make money.

• Like 1

Quoting my post from the Endgame thread because it's more appropriate here:

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I imagine you're part of the vocal minority on the internet, not me. Most people in my own circle would take lots of Marvel movies over Avatar any day. Avatar made its money fair and square but it was also the very definition of a fad. 

"James Cameron, director of Titanic and no other film since then, finally presents his new film, which introduces revolutionary new 3D and CGI technology!" That's what Avatar boiled down to. Full marks for said 3D and CGI, though. Absolutely. It's still one of the most gorgeous films in history 10 years later. Most CGI sucks.

does anyone here think The Dark Knight Trilogy ended either after scarecrow set Batman on fire or the beginning of the second fire in the mansion right before Liam Nesson reappears?  but they still buy the entire trilogy box set anyways and wear the merchandise?

Edited by Clubs Are Trash

TDK is such a piece of trash garbage film compared to Endgame holy crap even heath ledger's(glorified drug addict can't change himself like the king rdj) death can't carry tdk to beat endgame's quality

thank you king Feige for this masterpiece

Edited by RealCaptMarvel
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 5

TbEHzXu.jpg

Uhmmmm... not so fast sweetie.

Avatar is a far more impressive for it's time than Endgame, and more importantly... is still the highest grossing film of all time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

TbEHzXu.jpg

Uhmmmm... not so fast sweetie.

Avatar is a far more impressive for it's time than Endgame, and more importantly... is still the highest grossing film of all time.

Merely an impostor, a faker