grim22

The Little Prince | Netflix bought the rights, it will be released on the streaming service

1 hour ago, Gabriel Sales said:

I'm giving as closed this topic!

But before I will make an outburst against the American film market ...

First believe that "The Little Prince" deserved a major release in the United States, it is the non-American animated film most successful of all the times overseas, grossing more than 100 million around the world, not to have been released in key markets such as Spain, the UK and Australia. I'm sure the film crew much longed for a nomination for the Oscar.

What is clear in American society is protectionism! What is well accepted abroad most often is ignored in the US, let us take two examples: Formula 1 and Football (ridiculously called soccer), both are indisputable successes in almost every country in the world, the US is looked down upon. It could not be different in the cinema (box office), foreign films of success are almost always ignored.

That is why I consider it very important to the rise of the Chinese market, most importantly the annual limit of 34 movies. The Chinese market is a second option (soon to be the first) for independent producers seeking a place in the sun.

It's been really cool experience to change the world scene at the box office, no later than four years the American market will be protagonist being replaced by Chinese.

Returning to the topic theme (The Little Prince), here are some interesting figures of the film:

BOX OFFICE:

CHINA: $ 24 million - grossed more than Inside Out and Hotel Transylvania 2. 

FRANCE: $ 11.6 million - grossed equal to The LEGO Movie and more than Big Hero 6 and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1 and 2.

ITALY: $ 10.1 million - grossed more than The LEGO Movie, The Good Dinosaur and very close to Zootopia.

BRAZIL: $ 7.3 million - grossed more than  Home (Dreamworks) , The LEGO Movie and  Big Hero 6.

MEXICO: $ 6.1 million - grossed more than  Planes: Fire & Rescue.

JAPAN: $ 5 million - grossed more than The LEGO Movie.

SOUTH KOREA: $ 3.5 million - grossed more than The LEGO Movie and Home (Dreamworks).

ARGENTINA: $ 1.8 million - grossed more than Home (Dreamworks) and Big Hero 6.

Non-American animated film grossing of all time.

CRITICAL:

- Enshrined in the Cesar Award (French Oscar) for best animated film.

- 94% Fresh no Rotten Tomatoes (33 critics)

Around the world, public success and critical!

In the US, ignored!  

What's popular in different places around the world is always different. It's nothing to do with protectionism, but what people are interested in as a whole. Am I upset that no Studio Ghibli film has made me than $25m? No, because it doesn't fit with mainstream US culture. 

Arguably now, this film will reach a bigger audience in the US. Families are more likely to watch an unproven property at home when they wouldn't risk spending more money on it. 

I'm sure that has nothing to do with cultural issues, the book (The Little Prince) is less known in China than in the US and yet the film was the fourth largest animation 2015. Everyone knows that the Chinese market is much more complex and difficult to understand that the American.

I'm sure also that the production company of the film (On Animation Studios and Orange Studio) not contratataram one voice cast filled with American stars (James Franco, Rachel McAdams, Jeff Bridges, Marion Cotillard, Benicio Del Toro)  to have a launch via Netflix . 

In short, it was a bitch of a slutty what Paramount did.

7 hours ago, Gabriel Sales said:

I'm sure that has nothing to do with cultural issues, the book (The Little Prince) is less known in China than in the US and yet the film was the fourth largest animation 2015. Everyone knows that the Chinese market is much more complex and difficult to understand that the American.

I'm sure also that the production company of the film (On Animation Studios and Orange Studio) not contratataram one voice cast filled with American stars (James Franco, Rachel McAdams, Jeff Bridges, Marion Cotillard, Benicio Del Toro)  to have a launch via Netflix . 

In short, it was a bitch of a slutty what Paramount did.

Parmount is a studio in flux.  They has a BAD year last year dropping around 35% and they opened it up with Zoolander which was a costly bomb.  They only have 9 future releases on schedule for this year, 2 of them unscheduled  

They saw they were going to open in the face of Zootopia's run and maybe figured the movie would be buried and it would be a waste of marketing resources.  They might have thought rescheduling after the big summer animated films might just be too late and in the end not worth the marketing expense.   They should probably have released the film last winter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gabriel Sales said:

New trailer via Netflix!

Watch! Simply gorgeous!

Launch limited theatrical and  streaming simultaneously on August 05.

Think very very limited - O/U 20 theaters? None of the major chains will touch a Netflix release. Beasts of No Nation got 31 theaters but that was because they thought it could have Oscar hopes. Looking at how that movie performed in the limited release, don't think too many theaters will give this a shot. It is pretty much Netflix exclusive release now and maybe 10-15 theaters so they can say it was released theatrically.

I was confused at how Netflix was able to get Oscar qualifying runs because I thought that being distributed on the internet disqualified a movie.

After looking at the rules, I see that having the digital release on the exact same day as the theatrical release is OK as far as eligibility. I would have thought there would have been a mandatory waiting time.

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/89aa_rules.pdf

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

This movie was magical.

It seems that only the Paramount did not see it, canceled the launch in the US for a week of its debut, perhaps chose to invest in the promising "Monster Trucks". :angry:

This fantastic animation deserves a wide distribution in the United States. Every American should show the message of this movie to their children.

10 minutes ago, Gabriel Sales said:

It seems that only the Paramount did not see it, canceled the launch in the US for a week of its debut, perhaps chose to invest in the promising "Monster Trucks". :angry:

This fantastic animation deserves a wide distribution in the United States. Every American should show the message of this movie to their children.

Paramount is making very strange choices...

I really enjoyed this. It's a shame it didn't get a wider theatrical release. It was given a limited release in Canada back in the spring, but I had no idea at the time.

This article says that Paramount sold the US rights to Netflix after the producers of the film didn't put up a required $20 million for marketing. I don't know if it's credible because I haven't seen that anywhere else. But it doesn't make any sense because they would have known that the producers weren't providing the funds for marketing well before one week prior to release, which is when they chose to cancel the US release.

An eye roll is all this film deserves. Its message, a very cliche one, is expressed in a rather problematic manner, preaching total irresponsibility and disregard for other people. That third act, horrible. 30/100

Edited by Goffe