#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Massive for Star Wars, obviously.

Pretty good for Sisters, actually. The movie was shot last year and has been finished/awaiting release since last December, so they could've opened it anywhere during the year, but it seems like the move to put it against Star Wars might pay off. Legs should be very good over the holidays.

Considering that this series has reached two sequels too many, Alvin is surviving the law of diminishing returns just fine.

LOL In the Heart of the Sea dropping the most in the top 10. Bye bye.

• Like 2

So...DH2 manages to have an OS OW higher than TFA. Thank fuck it held onto something. 

But DH2 and TFA both had OS openings that are far more impressive than Jurassic World because they didn't have China. 

Jurassic World beating (more like fudging) DH2's $314m by a mere $2m still annoys me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HeyItsMoses said:

I don't understand why people still think it's not going to take down Avatar. 

I mean, when Avatar was released it only opened to $77m, but then it did something completely different it's second weekend: it practically stayed flat. But not only that, it also held really well during the weekdays. Just pretend it's 2009 again, when Avatar opened to $77m and performed like any other film, how much do you think it's total should have been during a holiday release? $310m? But Avatar was a completely different beast.

Now we got an amazing Star Wars movie that is well received by everyone, there hasn't been a Star Wars movie in a decade, we got a whole new generation of fans that love the franchise, it's released in the perfect time slot to do huge business, it literally went balls deep on the December opening weekend and bitch slapped the All Time opening weekend, and yet you motherfuckers still think it's domestic gross will be less than Avatar?

Please, get the fuck outta here. 

I understand that it's front loaded with a huge $120m opening day, but it's practically beating every record that it faces (yes, it will take the ww opening weekend once actuals come in). Plus, we've never had anything like this happen in December, why treat it like any other film? Just like Avatar, this too is a completely different beast.

For Fucks Sake, The Phantom Menace was a piece of shit, had garbage reviews, nobody fuckin likes it, people are encouraged to view the Star Wars movie Machete style just to completely forget it, it was released in the summer, and still had a multiplier of 6.7!!! I get what you're gonna say, 'it was the first Star Wars movie in 30 years, it was gonna be huge regardless'. Maybe, but that movie also sucked dick.

It's been 10 years since the last Star Wars movie, people love this, it's breaking records, it's the holidays, it has no competition, it's going to rape Avatar!

FUCKIN ACCEPT IT!

Most people around here realize TFA has a good chance to beat Avatar domestic.

Worldwide is another story.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

I'd say Johnson and Nolan have a pretty similar early career.  3 indies to various degrees of success critically and commerically(I'd give Nolan the nod to both despite my love of Looper).  Then they get the big franchise picture.  Nolan blew up, and we shall have to see how Johnson fares.  I can't see him reaching that level, but then again, not many do.

J.J. Abrams meanwhile has really only done studio projects (Super 8, Mission Impossible 3, two Star Trek movies). That's four films, one more than Johnson, before Star Wars. So if anyone is worried about Johnson's output so far...

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Considering that this series has reached two sequels too many, Alvin is surviving the law of diminishing returns just fine.

The franchise is dead. It went from a 44M OW (with 2 days of burned demand) to 25M to 14M. It is dead. It is still gonna do a good 70-80M DOM but they won't greenlight another one. 

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

No it wasn't. Come on guys, lets not start the revisionary history bullshit just because SW7 isn't going to beat AVATAR worldwide.

Yes, it was. At least where I live it was 100% because there were no 2D shows available. And I am sure the share was over 80% in every country. 

Just now, CJ Ren said:

The franchise is dead. It went from a 44M OW (with 2 days of burned demand) to 25M to 14M. It is dead. It is still gonna do a good 70-80M DOM but they won't greenlight another one. 

Probably. But it's not like these movies are super expensive (by CGI-heavy film standards) to begin with. But let's face it: considering that The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, and The Smurfs live-action movies all sputtered with just their second films, the fact this made it up to 4 is pretty impressive achievement, however ignoble that honor may be.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

It'll probably get the Smurfs treatment. They'll reboot it as a full animated feature.

2 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Yes, it was. At least where I live it was 100% because there were no 2D shows available. And I am sure the share was over 80% in every country. 

Well 80% isn't 100% is it. Besides Cameron and his producer partner said the final 3D share was around 70% and they were the ones championing 3D so i'm sure they would want to give the highest 3D percentage possible.

Sorry i wasn't trying to be funny or anything but i can see the signs already, people talking about exchange rates and now 3D share.

The film won't pass AVATAR worldwide and thats it really. Its got a good chance domestically though.;)

• Like 2

Facts about avatar 

avatar made money because it was supposed to act as the rebirth of 3D in theaters. Avatar was a 3D showcase and made a lot of money becsuse it was made for 3D. Now that nearly everyone avoids 3D , avatar 2 will not even come close to the original because the gimmick is dying . Now when people realize the story is ok and no one cares about blue aliens the sequel will flop in comparison