#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If it's 247 with a 60 Sunday, then that takes away a bit of frontloading and is a great sign for potential legs. 

And if it's 250M with a 60 Sunday, this is frontloaded and signs of legs are not that good? ;)

5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I do think Avatar's WW record is at play.

That will be tough unless China explodes.

SK  is looking weak and may be 70m less than avatar

Japan opened strong but is likely to fall short by 40-70m

Russia opened decent but the ruble cut in half since then. Will be 50m+ short there.

Dom will make up for sk Japan and russia.

Remains to be seen how the smaller territories do.

China will be the wild card. Some say 100-150. Theater owners are thinking 200-220. It will be up to local WOM

I say 20% chance for now until we see next weekends WW hold 

I understand some people think it will drop less than 40% on Monday. I think if the figure lands about 60M for Sunday, that it's really hard to pull off a 30M+ on Monday. I don't think that is possible with winter breaks not in full effect yet.

51 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Yeah... Avatar be going down (domestically of course WW will still stand strong when all is said and done)

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but this movie doesn't deserve to beat Avatar. Unlike Star Wars, Avatar was built on pure word of mouth, almost no hype upon release. TFA is from a  franchise continuing from a 40 year legacy, hype was inevitable. What Avatar did is to be respected in my opinion. 

Edited by Sagemode87
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

We're expecting a Monday drop of about 50%? 

Avatar was 33%. All combined in 09 was also

All movies combined have dropped 22-51% on this Monday since 09.  When Xmas is on the following sun-mon it's worse. On tuesday is better.

I'm thinking 33-40%. I would be shocked at 50%

• Like 1