#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

I understand what you say, all i'am saying is that it is misleading for the film media to say that the SW7 gross for Friday is $120+ mil, because, obviously many people may not know that this figure actually includes the Thursday previews gross as well, and even though the previews may have less playing time at the theatres, the fact is that a very large number of people will always attend the first showings of a highly anticipated film. Therefore the reported Friday gross is not representive of the true fact, but then again that is the way the film business does this nowadays, but to the general public, the figure is bollocks!

btw:- do members here think that as this is the last Xmas shopping weekend, will this have an impact on Sat & Sun grosses. I think Sat will be very high anyway, but Sun should see a noticeable drop, as per the norm.

With a lot of numbers reporting, we're dealing with imperfect data. The trends for how films are released change over time. We just need to accept that that's going to be the case and factor it into our analysis.

For instance, back in the days of the PT and LotR, it was common for big films to get releases on Wednesday or Thursday, even if there wasn't a holiday doing that. So you had several films (TPM, Matrix Reloaded, ROTK, ROTS) which all probably would have broken the OW record, but didn't because those early days weren't counted as part of the weekend. So something like Spider-Man took and held the record for an unprecedented four years.

Then we entered an era where it wasn't uncommon to get Thursday previews. Films would get a showing or two starting at 7 or 8pm. They are listed as Day 0 on BOM. And while they might be superficially similar to the preview period we get now, I think they aren't quite the same. They may only have counted the actual Thursday portion of the take, and anything from Midnight on was Friday. So while it might make sense to fold those Thursday previews into the OW for Iron Man (pushing it slightly past $100m), there's some finer considerations. Also, because that was more standard in that era, the OW remains at the 98m it's listed at.

Post Aurora and TDKR, the Midnight release has gone by the wayside. While the security reasons are mostly bunk (just witness all the other theater shootings that have continued to happen since then), I would say it's a net positive for employees; by moving the sneak portion ahead a few hours, you can let employees off earlier so they don't need to be working through the night. (It's had some effect on overall Thursday grosses, though. In most cases, it's roughly on par with old Midnights. The number of screenings tends to be roughly the same. Rather than do one showing on each screen, they take two or three screens and give them a couple showings apiece.

Now, that's just rough. Star Wars is a special case since it not only had those earlier previews, but has been playing throughout the night as well. And movies have always had different number of screenings available. Theaters try to guess what demand will be and sometimes they're off. Something like TKD or TA or JW all probably had demand that exceeded what theaters thought. (They weren't full to capacity, because that doesn't happen, but relatively speaking? Sure.) Something like TASM2 probably had far more screenings than necessary. It's tough to know for sure.

• Like 7

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

2D AVX right? 85 foot screen and Atmos. Hard to beat!

Ohhhh yeah. The showing is already 60% full btw, so we're a little off to the left. A screen that big though, doesn't really matter, you're gonna have a good viewing angle as long as you're far back.

• Like 3

Next year looks to be a fun year at the box office:

2 potential 500M movies (Rogue One, BVS)

2 potential 400M movies (Dory, Civil War)

4 potential 300M movies (Jungle Book, Independence Day, FB, Suicide Squad)

A bunch of 200M movies (Zootopia, X-Men, Moana, Pets, Star Trek (?), Ghostbusters, Bourne)

Then all the 100M movies

When ROTS smashed the OD record 10 years ago it was with 50m. Crazy what the record looks like after TFA. I even remember discussions from late last decade about if anything could ever hit 100 OD, and almost no one thought so. Everyone was shocked when DH2 got to the 90 mark. That stood 4 and a half years. I definitely think this OD record will take us into the next decade. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Next year looks to be a fun year at the box office:

2 potential 500M movies (Rogue One, BVS)

2 potential 400M movies (Dory, Civil War)

4 potential 300M movies (Jungle Book, Independence Day, FB, Suicide Squad)

A bunch of 200M movies (Zootopia, X-Men, Moana, Pets, Star Trek (?), Ghostbusters, Bourne)

Then all the 100M movies

Dory's got 500m potential. Probably moreso than anything else.

• Like 2

Rogue One has the potential for 500 for sure. It will pull at least 100 for OW with the words "Star Wars" in the title, and then if it ends up getting great WOM it is in the perfect release date for that. Also if Vader ends up being in it at all, then you can basically add an extra 100-150m to whatever it would have otherwise made. 

• Like 1

I know this thread is about how much the film will make at the box office alone, but my God, the Star Wars aisle at the two Target stores I visited today was absolutely decimated.  

Everyone I know is seeing it this weekend.  Kids were in school until yesterday, so most people are shopping and seeing it over the weekend.  I'll make it to my third viewing tomorrow.  Then again Christmas day with the entire family of 14 people.  Yay!

• Like 1