CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

8 minutes ago, Jessie said:

no, a lot of us knew it could be done. Big Star wars fans aren't going to miss this opening weekend because of its December release, just like the 'fast' franchise proved a film could open big in April, or hunger games proved it in march. Highly anticipated films can open big in any month.

you missed my caveat at the end. 

Mainstream Box office reporters and analyst.

5 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

SW7 is not a Avatar/Titanic type of run, or any other type of run. It's a run in its own type. It did a lot of things that never happened before, like destroying the OW in Dec, and breaking both the OW record and the DOM all time record,

I'm too lazy to look it up but I assume Avatar & Titanic had different types of run.

When I refer to an Avatar/Titanic run I am picturing a movie so special/beloved by the GA that it consistently breaks typical BO predictor expectations and challenges the DOM record.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Someone slept during maths class.

ya this is outperforming even typical December drops. Avatar made more in Jan of 2010 than it did in DEC of 09. That is where TFA will lose ground. But it will be so far ahead before we get to Jan that it will not matter. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

I'm too lazy to look it up but I assume Avatar & Titanic had different types of run.

When I refer to an Avatar/Titanic run I am picturing a movie so special/beloved by the GA that it consistently breaks typical BO predictor expectations and challenges the DOM record.

Well, put it this way: SW7 is the FIRST sequel in cinema history to be the highest grossing film of all time. It definitely is a great representation of this era (films get more and more frontloaded and the boxoffice success replies more and more on a big OW) in the sense that it broke the OW record like a lot of films did but it had the WOM that those record breakers didn't have which leads it beyond the alltime DOM record.

I guess this is a shifting point in cinema history, that from now on only sequels or prequels get to be the boxoffice king.

Concussion, Creed and Joy are now online in full due to leaked screeners.

They join The Hateful Eight, Revenant, Brooklyn, Carol, Steve Jobs and, for some reason, In The Heart of the Sea.

The 17-year old little shit I was in 2002 would be on Kazaa getting all of them at the blinding download time of 38 hours.

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They join The Hateful Eight, Revenant, Brooklyn, Carol, Steve Jobs and, for some reason, In The Heart of the Sea.

By screeners you mean recorded from the screen or actual Oscar copies?

BJs Breakdown

Mon: 40.5m -33%

Tue: 40.95m +1% (early indications suggest that discount tuesday will help even on top of the holiday boost)

Wed: 36.85m -10%

Thur: 24.65m -33%

Opening Wk: 390.95m

Fri: 50.95m +105% (third biggest day in pre-sales, will be massive)

Sat: 58.60m +15% (boxing day, nuff said)

Sun: 48.95m -16%

2nd Wknd: 158.5m -36%

Mon: 38.95m -20% (same drop as avatar)

Tue: 40.90m +5% (still being helped by discount tuesday)

Wed: 34.50m -15%

Thur: 27.30m -20%

2nd Wk/Domestic Total: 300.15m -23% / 691.10m

Fri: 40.95m +50%

Sat: 40.95m NC

Sun: 27.05m -34%

3rd Wknd 108.95 -31%

Mon: 12.15 -55%

Tue: 14.00m +15%

Wed: 10.05m -28%

Thur: 8.55m -15%

3rd Wk/ Domestic Total: 153.70 -48% / 844.80m

Fri: 18.00m +110%

Sat: 28.00m +55%

Sun: 16.80m -40%

4th Wknd: 62.80m-43%

Estimated Domestic Total 1.1b-1.3b

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I wish, but Avatar's OS run is one of a kind imo, not to mention TFA won't touch Avatar's run in some OS countries like Russia for example. 

Yea and wit the bad exchange rates, there is almost no chance :( If we had the exchanerates of 2012 this would have had a decent shot.

It will fall short in most of Europe. Avatar made almost $1 billion in Europe alone. South Korea and Japan are two other big markets of Avatar that are out of reach. Hopefully China can offset some of this, but I doubt it will be enough to beat Avatar WW. Not even $1 billion domestic is enough since you'd still need $1.8 billion OS in today's exchange rates.

• Like 2

Another point is that Avatar actually did phenomenal in China for its time (much smaller market 6 years ago). Avatar made over $200 million there, and even that figure is not locked for TFA. It would have to increase substantially from $200 million to even stand a chance of overcoming all the decreases in other markets.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Damn, Hateful 8 is tempting. But I know the studios are particularly vigilant on new releases and am pathetically wary of being made an example of.