druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

3 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Why a 50m drop?  This weekend was a sub 40% drop off a weekend including 55.7m worth of previews.  That's incredibly impressive.

Even with a bigger drop on Sunday, I see no reason why next weekend is less than 100m

You are right, impressive indeed.  I see this performing a little 'worse' than ROTK.  ROTK is the closest model not Avatar.  I would be pleasantly surprised if this drops 40% or less. I highly highly doubt $100m is in the cards. About $76m for the 3rd weekend which is also incredibly impressive.  

10 minutes ago, Tesseract said:

To reach $1B domestically TFA needs another $456M. The past week (Mon-Sun) it made $296M. Therefore it needs 100 / (1 + 456/296) = 39% or better weekly drops, starting next Monday.

If it holds well this week (say 20% - 30% drops) then by the end of the week the required weekly holds for $1B do not seem completely unrealistic.

I am settling on $91m with a re-release in 2025 getting us to $1bn.  I don't want people to be disappointed if this thing doesn't hit $1bn or starts dropping after it eats up demand like a rathtar.  To beat the attendance for Avatar, TPM, ESB, and ROTJ is amazing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lilmac said:

You are right, impressive indeed.  I see this performing a little 'worse' than ROTK.  ROTK is the closest model not Avatar.  I would be pleasantly surprised if this drops 40% or less. I highly highly doubt $100m is in the cards. About $76m for the 3rd weekend which is also incredibly impressive.  

It hasn't really followed ROTK so far.  And I'm not expecting an Avatar like drop, but I don't think a sizable drop is happening until the week after New Years.  

Theres no new releases to compete with and take screens, and we're coming off of a second weekend not an opening one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

It's holding better than ROTK all week. Why you "see" this performing worse than ROTK ???

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Disney's estimates are probably on the low end if last weekend says anything about it. I could see an increase to 155-156m or so.

A solid second weekend.

Solid? :lol:

Are you disappointed?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I keep saying TFA was going to hit the breaks. Thought it would be around $400m, now I guess it's $550m, LOL.

Still not convinced it will catch Avatar DOM. 

I can't tell if that is sarcasm. Cuz like metaphors  they don't go over my head because my reflexes are good and I will catch it.

I'll play though

550m

We need an unprecedented holiday Monday drop of 50% to 25m, followed by unlikely 10% daily drops thru thursday(mite be unprecedentd as well)for an 80m midweek.

630m

That would then lead to 70m weekend - 55% like tyler perrys a madeas christmas. A rare precedent.

700m

Then the biggest series of all time with a 37 year old history, 3 generations of fans, the WOM pulling in the non fan non movie goer, all the repeat viewers, with little competition, that blew away the OW record then followed up with an even bigger 2nd weekend record, percentage wise, will fail to make less than 1 multi from its 3rd weekend.

Is there an asteroid on its way that we don't know about?  It will have to be something biblical to fail 760m

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

I keep saying TFA was going to hit the breaks. Thought it would be around $400m, now I guess it's $550m, LOL.

Still not convinced it will catch Avatar DOM. 

Really? Even if it dives 50% from the past week (which it won't due to the holidays), it will be at $700 million by next Sunday. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I see a 50% drop next weekend.  Still beats the 3rd wknd record 

And i see Hateful 8 OPENING to 300 Mill. Both have ewual chance of happening.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Two biggest weekends in history.

1. Dec. 18–20, 2015 $305,552,048

2. Dec. 25–27, 2015 $286,363,591    

3. Jun. 12–14, 2015  $266,035,144

I am confused here, how did Dec 18-20 do 305m ?? 

It actually did 529m....correct me if im wrong.