druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

I have a feeling that by New Year's Eve 2015 will be close to 11.1 for the yearly which is pretty good. December as I mentioned earlier is the new recorded I think it should get around 1.2 billion for the monthly is a rapid increase from 2014. 

2 minutes ago, corngrower87 said:

Agreed. I know I remember following several movies' theatrical runs and the few that did hit $500 million, it seems like it took forever for them to get there. 

BTW, this is my first post. I have enjoyed visiting the forums, and following the box office here for quite a while. Finally I decided to join.

Welcome to the forums! You picked a great run to join on.

1 minute ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Just got out of Sisters.  I'm a HUGE Fey/Poehler fan, and really like Paula Pell's writing.  Overall, it's good not great.  It has its moments where it's really firing on all cylinders but other parts feel a bit played out.  It's also got to the be the longest party scene a film has ever had, ha.  A lot of great supporting characters and cameos that sometimes feel underused.

Solid B+.  I do think it's much stronger than Baby Mama if that means anything to you.

Truth be told, I could only think about seeing Star Wars a third time as we left.

I agree with your rating, but I disagree about Baby Mama to me I thought that movie wasn't really that funny. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, corngrower87 said:

Agreed. I know I remember following several movies' theatrical runs and the few that did hit $500 million, it seems like it took forever for them to get there. 

BTW, this is my first post. I have enjoyed visiting the forums, and following the box office here for quite a while. Finally I decided to join.

Welcome! We're glad to have you here. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The average price reported by theater owners includes a ton of movies with zero IMAX, PLF, or even 3D. Therefore it is safe to say the big blockbusters with IMAX, 3D, and PLF have a much higher average price than a comedy for instance. 

But there's no way you can actually determine how much another movie would have made if it had IMAX or 3D or PLF.  It's true, a larger amount of SW's box office is IMAX than a comedy with no IMAX, but it's also selling out lower cost theaters as well.  The comedy likely is lower than the average ticket price listed, and a large blockbuster is likely at the average ticket price.

A major case where a movie's ticket price might be above average is something like Interstellar.  A movie that was selling an abnormal amount of IMAX tickets for its end gross.  Even near the end of its run.

Also, as SW goes on in its run, it's going to sell make more of its money in lower price theaters than premium theaters, as it slowly loses its premium theaters to other movies.  

It is very much fair to compare admissions of Star Wars to Titanic by just using the average ticket price.  What wouldn't be as fair is comparing the admissions of a 2015 comedy to a comedy of the 90s using the average ticket price.

• Like 1

it could literally make 1/2 the next 7 days week over week and still be right under 700mil when we get the estimates next Sunday(the odds of this happening are slim to none). A snowball's chance in hell this does not pass Avatar. At this point the question is 900mil or 1bil. Right now I think it ends with 930-950mil. Maybe we can get a extended edition rerelease to get it over 1 billion. :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Im sorry but no. While some of the arguments made might be weak the change in population is not. If you double the population then selling the same or less tickets is not impressive. Thats about as simple as it gets.

I noticed how you ignored my post on population change.

GWIW sold ~160m tickets in 1939 when USA population was 131m

According to your simplified logic all movies now should be selling 400m tickets.

Its a different market you can only compare the BO +- 10 to 15 years max accurately due to changing conditions, don't be a fool.

We will be lucky to be seeing $2b Box office or 100m tickets sold in 2040 with a population of 500m 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Im sorry but no. While some of the arguments made might be weak the change in population is not. If you double the population then selling the same or less tickets is not impressive. Thats about as simple as it gets.

wrong in a lot of ways

28 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

According to my last link in 1980 TESB sold 98 million, in 1983 Return... sold 94 million, in 1980 there was 1,022 bln ticktets sold, in 1982 almost 1,2 bln in 2015 1.3 bln (so far). So you have a right that since TPM ticket sale is declining, but in 80s was even lower. 

Dont take those datas too earnestly, too many details play into those. Plus I already stated there were exceptions (as in against the trend), like Avatar brought back percentages (not only via it's own ticket sales)

Check per decade / per generation (~ 20 years), check for datas as the general population finally got TVs (not only the better earners), also the situation earlier (how was it before, why changed it, what consequences caused whatand so on). Check for ammount of released movies, children movies (cheaper), long movies (epos), reruns and so on. Check for regional differences in prices too, which kind of movies were seen or even offered.

Read up at MPAA, it's free and simple to find. You might be surprised how small the percentage of cinema visiting popuation even is, how many go repeatedly, how many once a year, ....

Try to get a more complete picture. To only repeat the link = no new input.

22 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I don't know a lot about overseas markets I just tried to use other big movies as references and such. I may have been optimistic overall by $100 million or so total. Still, $900 million from just those markets would be great. 

I hope you didn't understood my post as 'mad' / bad... Only a hint. In the international area are also discussions about what might be possible per country, why this or that might go or not. Plus the Chinese Forum.

7 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Against GWTW I might agree, especially since it has 40 years of releases to aid it, but really we are talking about TPM and Titanic. The late 90s weren't exactly the dark ages, people had lives and things to do. The fact remains that in order to match Titanic it would have more than double its current gross, and the 'lack of competition' argument for Titanic is very very weak.

The other fact remains that prices have been jacked up for TFA, although admittedly that can hurt gross by putting off the casuals.

Yes and no... again way too generalizing. Regional differences were always big ticket-price-wise and seem to have gotten bigger via luxus versions-combination-to-region (counts also seemingly for a simple pizza)

Plus if you still argue in that way you seem to have not read all the posts others already wrote, wither bcs you simply wont open minden read them or....

If non-fans of a movie (neutral to your fandom or actually SW) tell you about the differences between decades of the movie business, of details generally accepted after ages of studying those (I speak about the people working in the business, not myself) they might have a reason for that based on knowledge. Only a hint.

Fact is a POV, as long as not proven via not only one piece of a mosaic / detail and ....,

I am starting to get REALLY bored about that style and kind of argueing

Fact is too, to give a small example I am guessing you didn't even think about:

that e.g. last Tuesday member reported to have only have had to pay $5 for a usually $14.95 ticket, not as a special offer for that day, but as a general Tuesday thing, something in earlier decades not usual.

I could again and again list literally thousands of big and little details for the whys the '90 day-to-day life isn't the same like today (and actual and '90 not having the same rules as early '00 years), but why should I?

You do not give me the impression to really want to learn, to me it seems more like you only try to find points to prove your wished for result.

I can tell you that my circle of friends (we are all 'older') goes less and less to the cinemas, some have their own projectors at home, some realy nice TVs... some do not want to pay for a cinema, as they prefer to buy the disc/.... to be able to see it as often as they want. Some say it's cheaper, as they buy only once e.g. a disc and have children...

Some really hate younger audience and their comments, mobile using, bad behavior... in a cinema. Or dislike to have to chose from a limited to them offer (there are more movies to buy or rent than in the local cinema at a certain date) = people get jaded.

And a lot of the younger ones pay a lot for nice devices to play games, say movies are boring / slow... are seemingly too used to the fast pace of games or...

I already told in another post about my observations with my pupils, one of my subjects is the comparison of games and movies (training comparison and summaries via different media types), even 5years back there was another percentage of pupils who are even interested in movies

• Like 1

Just now, tokila said:

So how strong is TFA looking today? I know we have the "estimate" but that is pretty much an educated guess. Any anecdotes on crowds and sellouts?

I have no inside numbers but I checked all the screenings at the reserved seating theatre I go to. It's about 70% sold out on the 4 showings in the next 2 hours. Not a lot to go on but it's something. 

• Like 2

Just now, townzy89 said:

I noticed how you ignored my post on population change.

GWIW sold ~160m tickets in 1939 when USA population was 131m

According to your simplified logic all movies now should be selling 400m tickets.

Its a different market you can only compare the BO +- 10 to 15 years max accurately due to changing conditions, don't be a fool.

We will be lucky to be seeing $2b Box office or 100m tickets sold in 2040 with a population of 500m 

The difference is I said it was more complicated than that, others are boiling it purely down to competition alone, completely ignoring the counter points that should boost sales.

The reality is that yes competition hurts it, but population, peer pressure and hype helps it. The final nail is in the coffin of ticket sales is lack of quality and originality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

But there's no way you can actually determine how much another movie would have made if it had IMAX or 3D or PLF.  It's true, a larger amount of SW's box office is IMAX than a comedy with no IMAX, but it's also selling out lower cost theaters as well.  The comedy likely is lower than the average ticket price listed, and a large blockbuster is likely at the average ticket price.

A major case where a movie's ticket price might be above average is something like Interstellar.  A movie that was selling an abnormal amount of IMAX tickets for its end gross.  Even near the end of its run.

Also, as SW goes on in its run, it's going to sell make more of its money in lower price theaters than premium theaters, as it slowly loses its premium theaters to other movies.  

It is very much fair to compare admissions of Star Wars to Titanic by just using the average ticket price.  What wouldn't be as fair is comparing the admissions of a 2015 comedy to a comedy of the 90s using the average ticket price.

For older big blockbusters you can definitely adjust for 3D, expanded IMAX, and expanded PLF. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

wrong in a lot of ways

Dont take those datas too earnestly, too many details play into those. Plus I already stated there were exceptions (as in against the trend), like Avatar brought back percentages (not only via it's own ticket sales)

Check per decade / per generation (~ 20 years), check for datas as the general population finally got TVs (not only the better earners), also the situation earlier (how was it before, why changed it, what consequences caused whatand so on). Check for ammount of released movies, children movies (cheaper), long movies (epos), reruns and so on. Check for regional differences in prices too, which kind of movies were seen or even offered.

Read up at MPAA, it's free and simple to find. You might be surprised how small the percentage of cinema visiting popuation even is, how many go repeatedly, how many once a year, ....

Try to get a more complete picture. To only repeat the link = no new input.

I hope you didn't understood my post as 'mad' / bad... Only a hint. In the international area are also discussions about what might be possible per country, why this or that might go or not. Plus the Chinese Forum.

Yes and no... again way too generalizing. Regional differences were always big ticket-price-wise and seem to have gotten bigger via luxus versions-combination-to-region (counts also seemingly for a simple pizza)

Plus if you still argue in that way you seem to have not read all the posts others already wrote, wither bcs you simply wont open minden read them or....

If non-fans of a movie (neutral to your fandom or actually SW) tell you about the differences between decades of the movie business, of details generally accepted after ages of studying those (I speak about the people working in the business, not myself) they might have a reason for that based on knowledge. Only a hint.

Fact is a POV, as long as not proven via not only one piece of a mosaic / detail and ....,

I am starting to get REALLY bored about that style and kind of argueing

Fact is too, to give a small example I am guessing you didn't even think about:

that e.g. last Tuesday member reported to have only have had to pay $5 for a usually $14.95 ticket, not as a special offer for that day, but as a general Tuesday thing, something in earlier decades not usual.

I could again and again list literally thousands of big and little details for the whys the '90 day-to-day life isn't the same like today (and actual and '90 not having the same rules as early '00 years), but why should I?

You do not give me the impression to really want to learn, to me it seems more like you only try to find points to prove your wished for result.

I can tell you that my circle of friends (we are all 'older') goes less and less to the cinemas, some have their own projectors at home, some realy nice TVs... some do not want to pay for a cinema, as they prefer to buy the disc/.... to be able to see it as often as they want. Some say it's cheaper, as they buy only once e.g. a disc and have children...

Some really hate younger audience and their comments, mobile using, bad behavior... in a cinema. Or dislike to have to chose from a limited to them offer (there are more movies to buy or rent than in the local cinema at a certain date) = people get jaded.

And a lot of the younger ones pay a lot for nice devices to play games, say movies are boring / slow... are seemingly too used to the fast pace of games or...

I already told in another post about my observations with my pupils, one of my subjects is the comparison of games and movies (training comparison and summaries via different media types), even 5years back there was another percentage of pupils who are even interested in movies

'Insiders' have a bias. Hollywood will never admit its output is stale and lacking quality, and it will also never admit that piracy has very little to no effect on first run BO performance. It hypes piracy and competition in a bid to deflect from the first point.

• Like 1