druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Before coming to this forum I had no idea TDK was considered some incredible run that apparently is as impressive as The Avengers, JW, Titanic, TFA, etc. I thought it was just a bigger-than-usual blockbuster but nothing special at the box office. The thing fell pretty hard after opening weekend frankly. It didn't perform any special feats at the box office that I see. It was just an oversized blockbuster that started high and fell about like most movies of its size. *shrug*

Of course, I love The Dark Knight, it's absolutely incredible. It would be one of my favorite blockbusters, without a doubt. Too bad The Dark Knight Rises was... not that good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Before coming to this forum I had no idea TDK was considered some incredible run that apparently is as impressive as The Avengers, JW, Titanic, TFA, etc. I thought it was just a bigger-than-usual blockbuster but nothing special at the box office. The thing fell pretty hard after opening weekend frankly. It didn't perform any special feats at the box office that I see. It was just an oversized blockbuster that started high and fell about like most movies of its size. *shrug*

Of course, I love The Dark Knight, it's absolutely incredible. It would be one of my favorite blockbusters, without a doubt. Too bad The Dark Knight Rises was... not that good. 

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH

44 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

DOH. Well yeah I guess if you knew nothing of the casting, trailers, etc. I didn't realize that. Over at TFN a spoiler is anything not officially released by Disney before the film, so I didn't realize that. :(

We just tried to be extra careful here especially since Disney et al were also extra careful in not spoiling the film in trailers and TV spots. Unlike some other studios. I went back and watched all the trailers and TV spots. And they really did a great job of not spoiling to much plus the right amount of misdirection. 

• Like 2

Just now, JonathanLB said:

The Dark Knight's run is and always will be a stunning box office achievement (domestically). 

It adjusts to $620m today with far less IMAX screens than what we currently have, and absolutely no 3D prices. 

Since 2008...there have only been two films that have topped it in ticket sales, and they are Avatar and The Force Awakens (not yet, but will easily eclipse it). 

• Like 7

I see, so it's so impressive because there wasn't much of any premium format boost basically? I can see how that's incredibly impressive then, for sure. Maybe it's the last of its kind, in a way. After that, every film has enjoyed the 3D / IMAX / PLF boost. That makes sense.

I was there opening night for The Dark Knight. It was certainly a major event. People were very excited. Batman Begins was frankly a great film, too, that I saw 3 times in theaters. I was super excited for TDK. It didn't disappoint, to say the least. Quality-wise, it must be one of the best blockbusters. Not your run-of-the-mill "fun but dumb" kind of film. A truly well directed, well acted, great film. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

It's mostly impressive because it opened three times higher than its predecessor, reaching its entire gross in 5 days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

:kitschjob: 

Still $150m+

News focused on Texas (the area is far bigger, the weather is moving but leaves snow behind...), I picked the highest one appearing on google news

Texas Panhandle Faces 15 Inches of Snow, Historic Blizzard

...the destruction from deadly weekend tornadoes, the storm system that spawned the twisters was bringing winter storm woes to the Midwest and worsening flooding already being blamed for more than a dozen deaths.

At least 11 people died and dozens were injured in the tornadoes that swept through the Dallas area and caused substantial damage. The storms and flooding in Missouri and Illinois were the latest in a succession of severe weather events across the country that have led to at least 43 deaths in less than a week.

The state was already reeling from tornadoes, possibly up to 12, that damaged hundreds of homes as they killed at least 11 people. Gov. Abbott committed state resources to help four counties recover from some of the worst wind damage seen in the country since the 1950s, and has pivoted to focus on the potential damage from snow in the Panhandle, in the extreme north of the state.

"There will be an ongoing problem for the next 24 hours, especially, but really for the next several days, about rising waters," Abbott said at a news conference, referring to the danger of water to sweep people away.

Only a small section of Interstate 40, the 178-mile main east-west highway through the region, was still open Sunday evening...

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez declared a state of emergency Sunday as well, NBC News reported, after 16 inches of snow fell in parts of the state. "This is a dire situation, especially in the eastern half of the state where the storm has hit hardest and continues to dump snow," Martinez said.

Missouri's governor declared a state of emergency because of widespread flooding that has led to at least eight fatalities, with Gov. Jay Nixon's office saying in a release Sunday that eight people died and dozens had to be rescued or evacuated. More flooding is expected while river levels continue rising around the state.

...the latest of a succession of powerful weather events across the country that included flash flooding in parts of the Plains, Midwest and Southeast.

Six people died overnight when two separate vehicles drove into flooded roadways in south-central Missouri, Pulaski County Sheriff Ronald Long said. Also Saturday, three adults and two children drowned in southern Illinois when the vehicle they were riding in was swept away and sank in a rain-swollen creek.

...in the Southeast linked to severe weather rose to 19 on Sunday when Alabama authorities found the body of a 22-year-old man whose vehicle was swept away while attempting to cross a bridge; a 5-year-old's body was recovered for that incident Saturday. Ten people have died in Mississippi, and six died in Tennessee. One person was killed in Arkansas.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Texas-Panhandle-Faces-15-Inches-of-Snow-Historic-Blizzard-363548531.html

Not only posting for BO, but thinking about members snowed in as they have told and hoping no one gets hurt

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I see, so it's so impressive because there wasn't much of any premium format boost basically? I can see how that's incredibly impressive then, for sure. Maybe it's the last of its kind, in a way. After that, every film has enjoyed the 3D / IMAX / PLF boost. That makes sense.

I was there opening night for The Dark Knight. It was certainly a major event. People were very excited. Batman Begins was frankly a great film, too, that I saw 3 times in theaters. I was super excited for TDK. It didn't disappoint, to say the least. Quality-wise, it must be one of the best blockbusters. Not your run-of-the-mill "fun but dumb" kind of film. A truly well directed, well acted, great film. 

You do realize The Avengers and Jurassic World didn't exist? I remember people freaking out when that crazy Monday number came out. It had super legs. His run was unbelievable. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

You do realize The Avengers and Jurassic World didn't exist? I remember people freaking out when that crazy Monday number came out. It had super legs. His run was unbelievable. 

Of course haha, I just have seen members here idolizing that run so I wasn't sure if they were indicating it was incredible for the time or if it was still something they put ahead of The Avengers or Jurassic World. I had heard a lot of people say that aside from Harry Potter 8, TDK's preview night was the most impressive by far. That worried me when I was predicting for TFA because I thought, huh, maybe it really will be almost impossible to top that HP8 preview number then if TDK's was lower and still considered incredible. But the immense hype and anticipation pushed it past. 

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Each year, when the snow hit more north living people for the first time tons of accidents and close downs happens... with a snow ammount we here would only laugh about

In the north also the public transportation can get into problems

Close downs in Germany because of snow? No way. For years the north and east parts of Germany are more hit by snow and cold, only the areas close to the sea are warmer.
For years, life in the US stands still, as soon as there's a bit of snow. I will never understand, why they just won't prepare for it.

And of course our media is US centered. Also in terms of weather. So you might think it is severe, but they report pretty much everything.

Who cares about snow in Lithuania, though?

We've had 15 degree temps here in toronto ( about 60 degrees for our american friends) and Texas is getting snow.

Lol...north is south and south is north

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

We've had 15 degree temps here in toronto ( about 60 degrees for our american friends) and Texas is getting snow.

Lol...north is south and south is north

Love you canada people celcius is the thing not this stupid faren (sorry US :p)

Ahah.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Close downs in Germany because of snow? No way. For years the north and east parts of Germany are more hit by snow and cold, only the areas close to the sea are warmer.
For years, life in the US stands still, as soon as there's a bit of snow. I will never understand, why they just won't prepare for it.

And of course our media is US centered. Also in terms of weather. So you might think it is severe, but they report pretty much everything.

I wrote this e.g. as a lot of the member s here (and some of the mods + rth) aren't living in the US = they might be not aware.

We do get those close downs (e.g. for the highways, train routes,...) even in the south... often caused by trucks or drivers from out of the region with missing chains or not suited tires, ...

The east gets some really bad snow too, you're right, I listed the north and south details more as I think it's a bit funny sounding. The north is warmer even in winter and with snow than were I live, not only the 'stripe' along the ocean. North as in the north of the old Western Germany parts.

A few years back a region where my friends live (also Bavaria) got 2m+ snow within a too short time-frame.

2m are 6 feet 5 inches and something up.

As I grew up we lived at the foot of the mountains (~ a bit in the mountains).

They had snowplows and the big-guns (no idea the term for those) ones that 'screw' themselfes through the snow and look a bit like monster trucks made over by the A-Team, but higher things in the front....

When the plows didn't get through anymore, the pupils got snow-free in school, when the big ones needed time to get through, all got snow-free, even the adults.

I remember my father putting me through a very high window to shovel free the house entrence (needed hours), afterwards we too got an extra ~ hut before the main door a kind of double entrance as anyone else had too. We were the first occupants.

Didn't happen since a long time, weather got warmer. Beside the exception years...

I still like high snow, but not black ice I think it is called.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

That's why so many people believe "it's worse than it's ever been".   The media reports it now when most would never hear about it decades ago.

14 minutes ago, bladels said:

Yeah, I don't understand why the US keeps their ridiculous measurement systems :ph34r:

I agree.   The Metric system makes so much more sense.   The learning curve is tiny compared to the effort it takes to learn the various measurements of the English system.   If you can count to 10 you've pretty much got the Metric system down.    I think there was an effort to switch over in the 70s, but no one went for it.

• Like 1