druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

10 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Here the "classic period" refers to the 80s.

Just wanted to let you know you won't be getting any more likes from me, no matter how much I like your post. Shame on you for tricking everyone into pity liking due to being, supposedly, ancient. No one will ever catch up.

I'm past of just talking bs point, rth please have mercy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #ED2-D2 said:

I did the math. TDK wins.

Shocker there!   ;)     "Wins" eh?   Telling terminology.

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Avengers, TDK, and SM1 are all in the low 70m admission area. It is a coin toss between the three of them. SM1 had no premium tickets. TDK had IMAX and that's it. Avengers had IMAX, PLF, and 3D. 

The "coin toss" part is why it is not possible to make definitive statements about it.

2 hours ago, spizzer said:

That certainly does not mean we shouldn't endeavor to get estimate the best data possible.  BOM's inflation adjustment system has a RECOGNIZABLE PROBLEM, its not something vague and unknown.  And given that studios often do provide 3D splits, it is possible to calculate better estimates than they've provided.  It'd be one thing if we were completely in the dark; we had no idea how they were doing their estimates and we had no idea what the 3D splits were.  But that is not the case, we are provided enough information and data that we can do better.  To not do so and simply accept what we're provided is quite frankly both ignorant and regressive.  This is a BO board, there are a considerable number of us that want to dig deeper.

That's much better than making it sound like you are stating facts.    And you are putting all the weight on estimated 3D and ignoring that we don't have any real information about discounted tickets.    That's why any discussion about admissions will never prove anything.   As you put it, this is a "recognizable problem" with admissions.   We end up with guesses and estimates.   That's why you had to use terminology like "somewhere in the vicinity".

So until someone finds out a way to get an actual count of the tickets, Avengers is going to be above TDK on all the charts.    Again...exactly no one was interested in counting tickets when TDK was moving up that chart so it's disingenuous to start now with best guesses, estimates, and "somewhere in the vicinity" when it's on the other side.

And this of course has always ignored that 3D prices are almost always voluntary and thus a compliment to the movie in question.   Inflation is not voluntary at all.   No one can choose to pay 1985 prices.   So the implication in all this that a movie with 3D is cheating or forcing people to pay more is deceptive.   I hate 3D and went 2D for all movies except Avatar.   Avatar earned that extra money from me...it doesn't deserve to be diminished because it was deemed worthy of a higher ticket price.   I could have payed less but chose not to.   Avatar deserves credit for presenting a product which was worth more money.

• Like 1

$30M or better would make me celebrate. Heck, ok with $27.5M. That's $27.5M for three days, $17.5M fourth day, $100M mid-week. That may disappoint some people here I guess but that's $640M headed into a third weekend! GTFO lol. That would put it at $730M after weekend three at least, which is ridiculous. Anywhere in that range and I'm a happy camper. 

To  give us a clue where this might end up in the US...

In Australia we put up a 12m weekend (yes a long way down from our massive opening of 27m) BUT post that point monday was 4.2m following (thanks RTH) of nearly the same on tuesday.  (FYI - the 12m 2nd weekend is really only made up of a weak thursday (eve) + virtually nothing friday + massive sat and sun - cinemas all but close on xmas day here )  projections should see a third weekend increase over the 2nd weekend.  (FYI - the 12m was still a new record for the 2nd weekend over 2m ahead of the previous holder)

from this 35m+ for monday seems likely in the US.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

$30M or better would make me celebrate. Heck, ok with $27.5M. That's $27.5M for three days, $17.5M fourth day, $100M mid-week. That may disappoint some people here I guess but that's $640M headed into a third weekend! GTFO lol. That would put it at $730M after weekend three at least, which is ridiculous. Anywhere in that range and I'm a happy camper. 

Avatar made $139.4 million in it's 2nd week, 3rd weekend. If TFA can beat that total by 25% I'll be happy! I'm easy to please :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

To  give us a clue where this might end up in the US...

In Australia we put up a 12m weekend (yes a long way down from our massive opening of 27m) BUT post that point monday was 4.2m following (thanks RTH) of nearly the same on tuesday.  (FYI - the 12m 2nd weekend is really only made up of a weak thursday (eve) + virtually nothing friday + massive sat and sun - cinemas all but close on xmas day here )  projections should see a third weekend increase over the 2nd weekend.  (FYI - the 12m was still a new record for the 2nd weekend over 2m ahead of the previous holder)

from this 35m+ for monday seems likely in the US.

What do you think Australia's odds are of passing Avatar or coming very close, anyway? It should beat Avatar / Skyfall for #1 in both North America and the UK and with Australia always being a strong Star Wars market, I am curious to see if it can get there. It's a LONG ways to go, though, you guys aren't even half-way there yet whereas we are 65% to 70% there.