druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

27 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I did the math. TDK wins.

Shocker there!   ;)     "Wins" eh?   Telling terminology.

Well when you're dealing with statements like that I understand your sentiment.

And you are putting all the weight on estimated 3D and ignoring that we don't have any real information about discounted tickets.    That's why any discussion about admissions will never prove anything.  

Because that's the best we can do!  AND its better than simply using BOM's yearly prices/adjuster.  That's the point.  I'm not ignoring that we don't have any real information about discounted tickets, I've acknowledged it as a problem loads of times.  But just because we can't solve for that issue doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best to do so for the ones we can adjust for.  

As you put it, this is a "recognizable problem" with admissions.   We end up with guesses and estimates.   That's why you had to use terminology like "somewhere in the vicinity".

But we're already working with "guesses and estimates" when we use BOM's adjusted data.  The whole point is to improve those guesses and estimates as much as we can given what information we've been provided.  I don't understand the difficulty in grasping this - you're essentially saying that we should use less accurate guesses and estimates in favor of more accurate ones because the latter ones still don't account for everything.  

So until someone finds out a way to get an actual count of the tickets, Avengers is going to be above TDK on all the charts.    Again...exactly no one was interested in counting tickets when TDK was moving up that chart so it's disingenuous to start now with best guesses, estimates, and "somewhere in the vicinity" when it's on the other side.

This just isn't true.  There were absolutely people counting tickets when TDK was moving up the chart.  I wasn't a super active poster on BOM at the time but even then I and others were quick to point out that that in recent years it was likely that Shrek 2 sold more tickets than TDK did, and that SM1 wasn't far behind (me and Red quite frequently have this discussion every few months when a new film is released and admissions talk is brought up again).  

Are there those who are just doing it out of a pro-TDK agenda?  Certainly, but that should not diminish what those of us who are simply interested in gaining as deep a picture as possible are saying.

And this of course has always ignored that 3D prices are almost always voluntary and thus a compliment to the movie in question.   Inflation is not voluntary at all.   No one can choose to pay 1985 prices.  

Absolutely, I've argued the very same.  But I am quite literally only interested in the volume, I'm not trying to make statements about what performance is superior.

So the implication in all this that a movie with 3D is cheating or forcing people to pay more is deceptive.   I hate 3D and went 2D for all movies except Avatar.   Avatar earned that extra money from me...it doesn't deserve to be diminished because it was deemed worthy of a higher ticket price.   I could have payed less but chose not to.   Avatar deserves credit for presenting a product which was worth more money.

This isn't my implication at all, because that's a stupid notion.  Take your Avatar example, I think there's a pretty clear argument to be made that a good portion of its draw was the 3D spectacle.  People WANTED to pay more for the experience and that's something that's in its favor, its not a penalty.  But you don't need to convince me of this, that's the point I'm trying to make.  I am only looking at admissions in order to compare admissions - there's no underlying motive beyond that.

• Like 3