druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

3 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I'm sure you guys will feel like parts are over-explaining stuff to us laypeople. But it is entertaining over-explanation.

They could have done well with less, but it worked.  Those sequences were enjoyable.

Thought the editing was a bit rushed/choppy in a couple scenes.

That was relatively technical for a film though and considering that it was surprisingly entertaining and easy to follow, though my perspective is obviously a bit skewed - I sat the CFA I two weeks ago.

H8 Roadshow and TFA rewatch in Laser & 15/70 are next this week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Lucas wanted to sell his assets to a company that was familiar with protecting a family legacy. He wanted a place where Lucasfilm would fit in (to some degree) and also retain some autonomy. That's why he chose Disney, and why he didn't want to do a bidding war or anything. Money wasn't particularly high on his list of concerns.

As someone else said, I'm quite sure Pixar is what sealed the deal.  George knew Ed Catmull & John Lassiter very well.  Pixar, of source started, as the computer division of LucasFilm and was famously sold to Steve Jobs for a pittance.  I'm sure he spoke with those guys and they've been very public about how great the marriage to disney has been for them. 

56 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:
4 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Titanic did $194m in China($44m+$150m)

Btw, once star wars 7 finishes its run, it's looking at having 41 records on boxofficemojo, and that's without any foreign ones, and christmas eve which isn't considered a record either.

Jurassic world loses all but 4, and avatar is looking at conceding 3-4 most likely 4

Edit: 5 if worldwide goes to SW7

Dayum!

you want to count a 15years later happening special made 3D re-release add to the result?

To me that is nonsense. Even BOM counts the 3D version as it's own titel

TFA had 47,700 shows yesterday.  It should go above 50,000 again today.

Also, on Hateful Eight's numbers, remember the Roadshow ticket price is right around $20 across the board (someone correct me if this is wrong).  Even accounting for matinees, average ticket was around $19.  At the 1.9M estimate is sold just under 100K tickets yesterday.  For comparison, Big Short did ~3.9M, roughly double the gross, but sold somewhere between 4-5 times as many tickets.  

• Like 1

Just now, DAR said:

Again I see mention of these Laser showings, what is exactly?  A type of projection?

Yeah, better version of regular digital IMAX 3D

Edited by Salacious Tree Crumb

Just now, JohnnY said:

oh come on, The Hateful Eight will get a 50,000 pta? while most theaters only have 4 showings a day for it?

how much are they charging for these 70mm showings?

$20 in NYC. I know cause I've already paid for a ticket on Monday night. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

oh come on, The Hateful Eight will get a 50,000 pta? while most theaters only have 4 showings a day for it?

how much are they charging for these 70mm showings?

"only" 4 a day? That's basically being on one screen all day, perfectly normal...

• Like 1