#ED

Monday SW:TFA Estimate - 31.4M (-27%)

9 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

That wasn't directly meant for the posters on this board. No need for direct insults. I stand by my opinion though, movies with weak villains don't deserve top grossing ever. If the fans loved it that much despite its huge flaws, then I guess it's the movie they deserve. 

Gosh, I guess Avatar, Titanic, and E.T. all really didn't deserve top grossing ever.  Last one that deserved it must have been Star Wars, and Star Wars 7 once it gets the title. :ph34r:

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Even if you don't like the movie or didn't think it was the most amazing thing ever, you gotta love the box office run. We'll never see anything like it again for awhile.

Yep, that's why I keep reminding posters to enjoy the ride. We may never see anything like this ever again. :D 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Gosh, I guess Avatar, Titanic, and E.T. all really didn't deserve top grossing ever.  Last one that deserved it must have been Star Wars, and Star Wars 7 once it gets the title. :ph34r:

So, you're saying Billy Zane wasn't a great villain....

1 minute ago, druv10 Maul said:

Yep, that's why I keep reminding posters to enjoy the ride. We may never see anything like this ever again. :D 

Well, to be fair, we're never going to see a run that's exactly like this ever again :P

Each of the record-breakers had runs that were different from the others. Which makes them all the more exciting. 

Except Jurassic World and Avengers though, they had pretty similar runs. That's why I love this run by Star Wars so much.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

That wasn't directly meant for the posters on this board. No need for direct insults. I stand by my opinion though, movies with weak villains don't deserve top grossing ever. If the fans loved it that much despite its huge flaws, then I guess it's the movie they deserve. 

Thats_just_your_opinion.jpg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, tokila said:

dont like that method really. It does not take volume into account directly. %'s up front or worth much more than %'s later but this does not show that. 

Not yet, no. At some point it won't matter as it blows past Avatar. I'm more interested in matching ROTJ and ESB's admissions....

13 minutes ago, Empire said:

So, you're saying Billy Zane wasn't a great villain....

Billy Zane was not a great villain. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a great anything that he's been. Ok, he was a great band front-man in Almost Famous, but that's really it. I thought Colonel Quaritch was a pretty decent villain in Avatar, though. I mean, he certainly wasn't a great villain, but at least he was a pretty good one and a first rate scenery chewer. He might have been the only person who actually had to do any acting as themselves (rather than via motion capture) in the entire movie.

I just made Wrathette #2 watch Avatar with me a week or two ago in my parenting efforts to bring both kids up to speed on their movie/pop-culture references (Ghostbusters coming up next. I'm excited for that one). The visuals were still pretty great, though the passage of time and seeing it on a TV instead of a gigantic screen made it a less impressive experience. Wrathette #2 commented that it kinda reminded her of the original Tron, which we saw a couple months ago.

And I think she has a point. I'm actually a little hesitant to show them the original Jurassic Park now. I loved JP, but I also loved Tron, and watching Tron again made me realize its a slow, ponderous movie with creaky dialogue and hammy acting (except for David Warner who's great) that was totally carried by its groundbreaking visuals. Avatar, though bigger and better, does suffer a bit from that as well. And I'm probably going to pass on watching JP again out of fear I'll realize the same is true for JP.

Edited by Wrath

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Well, to be fair, we're never going to see a run that's exactly like this ever again :P

Each of the record-breakers had runs that were different from the others. Which makes them all the more exciting. 

Except Jurassic World and Avengers though, they had pretty similar runs. That's why I love this run by Star Wars so much.

Yea, it's like a mix between conventional JW/Avengers and Avatar's gravity defiance. Nothing like it. THIS is how you get to $1 billion in the 21st century. I don't think a run like Titanic will happen again. The next billion dollar grosser will be an OW blockbuster with strong legs, unlike Titanic. 

• Like 1

Also, I hate it when I hear, "A movie didn't deserve its money."

Theres plenty of movies I hated that made good box office, but if they managed to make the money they deserved it.  If it's a terribly received movie it'll either not make as much as it could have due to WoM, or the sequel will drop off.  Box office doesn't reflect quality either way, it just reflects that they managed to get people to go out and spend their money.  

Fifty Shades of Grey deserved its money, because they managed to get butts in seats (as frontloaded as it was).  Its poor quality affected how much it made due to legs, and will likely affect the sequel, but it isn't undeserving of the money it did make.  It would only be undeserving if Universal forced people at gunpoint to buy tickets or some other extremity (which they didn't do, shocking I know).

You can say it's a shame (in your opinion) that a movie you thought was awful made the money it made.  But you can't say it didn't deserve to make it, unless something unethical was done.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

Lol, SW7's 2nd Monday is 3 times bigger than Jurassic World's 2nd Monday

TFA's gap over JW is going to be 160m through 11 days if this holds. It only needs a 110gap to beat Avatar. So ya. That is locked up tight. 

Magic gap is 340.... that means 1 billion. 

Edited by tokila
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tokila said:

TFA's gap over JW is going to be 160m through 11 days if this holds. It only needs a 110gap to beat Avatar. So ya. That is locked up tight. 

Its gap over JW will be at least 250m next Sunday. :blink:

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

True but what I meant was DH2 type presales followed by JW/Avengers type OW and mini Avatar type legs. Abolutely unheard of and we may not see anything like this again. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tokila said:

Magic gap is 340.... that means 1 billion. 

340 million and still gaining...by huge chunks.

Should be up to about 420 million by the end of the weekend...and still gaining.

• Like 1