CJohn

ETHAN HUNT'S BEST OF 2015 TOP 10!!! | ALSO SPAGHETTI RIPS OFF TELE ON PG. 14 (CJohn's Final Top on Page 1, Ethan Hunt on Pg. 7)

THE TIME HAS COME. Or maybe not :P

Spoiler

JURASSIC WORLD

(Release Date: June 10)

jurassic-world-poster-dino-chris-pratt.j

Another perfect blockbuster. A blockbuster I have been waiting since I first saw Jurassic Park, which btw is probably my favorite movie ever (the top spot switches a lot), and it didn't disappoint me. Chris Pratt and BDH were perfect choices for the lead roles, Colin Trevorrow was hand-picked by Spielberg and he proved to be the best choice possible. The movie is insanely full of memorable and soon to be iconic moments. Jurassic World is the 2nd biggest movie of the decade, and it deserves to be. It is near perfect entertainment and I love it. The king is back.

Quotes from our Review Thread:

kaijukurt

It's safe to say I loved the film.

It's a Jurassic Park film not only with awesome dinosaur action (as expected), but you also get to see the island functioning as an actual theme park. About damn time.

Action sequences were definitely thrilling and VFX was great.

Minor complaints were that some dramatic moments between the brothers didn't work out so well.

Nevertheless, one of my 2015 favorites

Water Bottle

I fell in love with this movie pretty much from the moment Gray opened the window of his nice hotel room (which for some reason isn't destroyed in a later scene) and he saw the park and the Jurassic Park theme played.

I like all three Jurassic Park movies. The second is obviously the weakest but in my opinion, the strength of these movies aren't on the dinosaurs because they are going to be pretty cool no matter what. It's hard to mess them up. It's not even the adult main characters (although I like that they all share the same trait: they always think whatever Imgen is doing is a bad idea because it is). It really rests on the kids. Now I know this is weird but the whole franchise rests a lot of it's strength on awe. Yes some of that awe is terror but some of it is amazement at these creatures that have been put on Earth. And the best way to capture this awe isn't through the adult characters (although the good ones tend to at least by the end respect the dinosaurs) but through kids. The second movie is at it's weakest because it tacks on the kid but the third and especially the first one work a lot better.

And Jurassic World is amazing. It's the second best movie in the franchise. Yes Chris Pratt did an amazing job with his generic hero character (that he's able to play a generic hero character and still win people over is why he's becoming a franchise vehicle). Yes Claire Dearing was a pretty good character with solid development-she goes from only seeing dinosaurs as assets to having to face them as actual living beings. But it's through Gray that we get the awe and wonder that is essential in any Jurassic Park movie to be successful. It helps that Ty Simpkins has that quality where even though he's only 13, he has a natural presence on the screen. His older brother, Zach, keeps him in check but the two form a good team as they go from one life-threatening experience to another. Of course, the two had a great arc as well: Gray in particular having to grow up but Zach realizing that he needs to be there for his brother.

Finally, the actual plot is pretty simple. Imgen makes a hybrid dinosaur (it's kinda funny that the movie tries to keep it's raptor's origins a secret since it was so obvious. After all, we know raptors were the smartest dinosaurs evah due to the original), it gets lose, and the characters have to try to survive. The final battle where it took a T-rex (loved that they saved it till the end), the raptor pack, and the crocodile monster [and technically Chris Pratt shooting it but let's face it that had no actual effect on the battle] to take it down. It's a triumphant moment, it's awesome, and in my opinion it works.

Jurassic World is funny. It's exciting. And it even has some of that awe that captures some of the spirit of the original

Baumer

Pratt owned the film, terrific human character.

I loved the Predator homage.

I loved the final kick ass battle with I-rex, Blue (I think) and T-Rex.  Epic conclusion.  Sure, Bryce would have been dead before she got back to the I-Rex, but that was another great nod to the first with the flare and the T-rex.

This is one of the best summer films I've seen.  It's everything Godzilla should have been and when the sea monster gobbles up I-Rex, I cheered.  

An absolutely awesome awesome movie

• Like 5

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

But Nolan didn't release a movie this year

Nolan movies transcend time. Interstellar is as much a 2014 movie as it is a 2015 movie :ph34r:

• Like 1

So if this one isn't first place... what is it?

Spoiler

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

(Release Date: May 14)

10636937_661847177254140_300118677016450

Probably the greatest action movie ever done. I couldn't breathe after the first action scene ended. And there were still two more to go. An astonishing IMAX experience and even the 3D was actually fabulous. Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron shine in a movie masterfully directed by George Miller, that if we lived in a fair world would have his Best Director Oscar delivered to his home in the moment this movie premiered because nothing can top it this or any other year. I want more, and hopefully WB will make one more in a near future.

Telemachos

Worthy of being in the discussion of "greatest action film ever".

antovolk

Pure spectacle and bombast and some of the most holy f- action I've seen on screen but where Miller blows everyone out is building a strong and convincing enough emotional core and connection to the characters and the cause that it ends up being so satisfying emotionally too. The SCALE blew me away, this is a different beast to The Road Warrior. Hardy was very cool, but Theron and Hoult owned this - which especially atory wise was the main and only flaw. Heart pumping from first shot to last.

dashrender44

Fuckin' A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VIVA IMPERATOR FURIOSA

Darth Rallax

It's a fucking beast of a movie.

• Like 6

I hope you all enjoyed the reveal of my top 10. Here is the first place :)

Spoiler

CRIMSON PEAK

(Release Date: October 22)

Crimson-Peak.jpg

I saw this movie in IMAX. And when it ended, I just stayed there for a few minutes, watching the credits role and thinking about what I had just seen. Everything was perfection and I loved it. The production design was magnificent. The house was a stunning thing to look at. So beautiful and at the same time so terrifying. The costumes were a thing of beauty. Hiddleston, Chastain and Wasikowska all looked gorgeous. The score was another brilliant thing. All the right tones in the right moments. Everything was put together with so much attention to detail it was hard to not be impressed.

CrimsonPeak1.jpg

Del Toro proves again why he is a genius. The direction is pitch perfect. To think the idea for this movie came from his own mind amazes me. He truly has an imagination like no other. It is a shame the GA doesn't recognize him as one of the greats right now because I would surely love to see more original movies/passion projects from him. 

sgt86hlufuexrjweo5io.jpg

Hiddleston and Wasikowska were great (hell, even Hunnam was quite good), but Chastain was absolutely fantastic. She was the perfect villain, and made me realize Universal made a huge mistake by not putting her as the Ice Queen in that Huntsman movie. She would have been an awesome villain to have right next to Theron. Both of them chewing the scenery would have been glorious to see. 

fb756ffa9a372f9965476b8234304de7_500x735

I don't care if I am the only person in the world thinking this is the best movie of the year. It was everything I wanted it to be and more. To the ones who followed my reveal, I hope you all enjoy and share your favorite movies of 2015 soon. Happy 2016 everyone!

ddddeeee

I'm in love, saw it twice in two days. So beautiful. The score. The production design. The costumes. The Chastain ham. I loved it all, even the hokey dialogue made me so happy.

Hunnam managed to say some pretty big words too, good for him

Joel M

Very good movie. I loved the blinding colors, and the way the commitment to the classic romance angle made the brief gore scenes hit you way harder. I loved the insane final act and the even more insane Chastain chewing up the scenery. 

Blanks

Crimson Peak is a beautiful movie to look at. It's got a lot of wonderful costumes, and the set design of the mansion is just astounding. Cinematography is good, although it being shot on digital is occasionally distracting, and the editing is on point. Del Toro directed this quite well. The acting is also quite great, with Chastain really impressing me for the first time, and Wasikowska and Hiddleston performing their roles perfectly. The script is also fun too, as it's a horror melodrama that doesn't actually require the horror elements.

• Like 7