#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

1 hour ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Refresh for updates Early Friday PM industry figures show Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens making $35M today, raising its cume through 15 days to $687M. What does this mean? It means that Force Awakens bypassed the No. 2 and No. 3 all-time domestic grossing titles  Titanic ($658.7M) and Jurassic World ($652.27M) in the same day. By end of Sunday, Force Awakens’ total will stand at $744.8M, just $15.7M short of Avatar‘s all-time domestic record of $760.5M. Should these figures hold up, this would put Force Awakens in a position to own the all-time crown by end of Monday. Worse case scenario – Tuesday.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/weekend-box-office-star-wars-force-awakens-hateful-eight-new-years-2016-1201674917/

Adjusted, baby, the game is in the Adjusted

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

Before some of you say this is not that great and number, think about what you are saying. Between 90 and 100 million dollars on the 3rd weekend of this film's run. Again think about that. These are ridiculously insane numbers that we will not see duplicated for perhaps 15 years. If we are just judging them by avatars increase from 6 years ago then it's not the correct perspective.

90 million is a great number, but if it's an indication of demand burning off faster than hoped, 1B begins to fade. It's a magic number.

Regardless, DHD has been consistently under so let's not break our eggs before they're layed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I am so confused at what people here expected Joy to do.  'It's only going to make 80 or so'.  Shit, for the kind of film this is thats great.  I know the budget is 60, but this was never going to make much more than 100, no matter the budget.  It was a really tough sell, that got mild reviews and a crowded market.  No other actress could have gotten the film to half that in a similar situation.  Did people really expect a story about the Miracle Mop to put up American Hustle numbers!?

I think it's doing as well as it could for the subject matter and genre but probably no other actress would have made the studio think, wrongly, that $60m was a reasonable budget.    How much did they pay her and Russel?  It's $20m more than Hustle (with a fraction of the high profile cast) and almost $40m more than Silver Linings.

Concussion and Point Break's soft drops really surprise me.   I though Concussion would drop at least 35% and than PB would freefall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

And please, spare me the whole acting and dialogue nonsense cause no one goes to see a movie like this for that criteria???

BKB laying out the truth

acting and dialogue do

TFA is evil. But at least it will eliminate all the bickering about which film will have the bigger OW, etc. It took out the trash. And as a bonus it beats Avatar, which was a remake of about a dozen Star Trek episodes, this time in 3D. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I am so confused at what people here expected Joy to do.  'It's only going to make 80 or so'.  Shit, for the kind of film this is thats great.  I know the budget is 60, but this was never going to make much more than 100, no matter the budget.  It was a really tough sell, that got mild reviews and a crowded market.  No other actress could have gotten the film to half that in a similar situation.  Did people really expect a story about the Miracle Mop to put up American Hustle numbers!?

Joy will keep plugging away through March, especially if Lawrence gets another Oscar nomination. And I think OS will be on par with earlier DOR releases. So maybe $180 million total. Three times production costs, which was split between two studios. Not bad. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, straggler said:

TFA is evil. But at least it will eliminate all the bickering about which film will have the bigger OW, etc. It took out the trash. And as a bonus it beats Avatar, which was a remake of about a dozen Star Trek episodes, this time in 3D. 

If TFA is evil, then what's "good"? :apocalypse:

Oh god 30 seconds into this interview Jorge says he doesn't have an Oscar because the academy doesn't give Oscars to popular films.  Forrest Gump, Titanic, Gladiator, Return of the King, and The Departed say hi bro.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Oh god 30 seconds into this interview Jorge says he doesn't have an Oscar because the academy doesn't give Oscars to popular films.  Forrest Gump, Titanic, Gladiator, Return of the King, and The Departed say hi bro.

I love George, but that interview isn't his finest hour.

• Like 1