WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I really hope that if this movie doesn't hit 1B, that people won't be disappointed in that cause something tells me, there will be for as dumb as that sounds...

It will be disappointing if it comes within 30m or less and misses, which is looking like a real possibility right now unfortunately. Disappointing because it got so close, not because there's anything wrong with the gross obviously. 

• Like 2

After seeing the crowd I did tonight i figured it would have a nice jump. I think a lot of people waited till the holidays were over and since this was their first day off of work they decided to go. I love how the film reaches each demographic. Two elderly couples were in front of me and I could hear them as we were going out saying they enjoyed it. One of the couples talked like it was their first time in a theater for a while. 

Edited by Rman823

MJ2 needs 283.95 to have a better multiplier than MJ1. Looks like it will fall short of that but considering the relatively big drop when SW opened, it's legs were strong. Would have been great to have 4 movies of a franchise each with a better multiplier than the previous one (albeit significant drops in ow :) ).

11 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

If Leo doesn't win a Golden Globe, will he morph into a Supervillain over it or what???

Leo is not going to lose. He is the surest of all bets this awards season. He will win the Globe and will be an easy Oscar winner in February.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, a2knet said:

15m Sat gives Rev a 24% jump from non-preview Friday.

seems there was a very specific group of people who were excited to see this. I think it runs well though. The initial drop was because Leo's fanbase came out day one. Should play well because its quality and awards hype.

Well you guys can thank me basically. I saw that crappy Friday number and I went today at 12:20 IMAX to get my final Regal Star Wars Saturday ticket, which was quite an adventure, I won't go into details except to say my local theater didn't get their fucking tickets so I had to drive 14 miles away to another IMAX and barely made it in time (missed half the previews), but I got Finn 6 of 500 ticket. 

THEN I had the worst theatrical experience of my entire life at 6 p.m. seeing TFA again at a supposedly upscale reserved seating theater with my girlfriend, her mom, and her mom's boyfriend. First, the audio was WAY too low, like if anyone shouted (think General Hux), it sounded like talking. Talking sounded like whispering. There was no "you can feel the audio" or any sort of sub or anything. Your 32" TV'S BUILT IN audio is better sounding than this piece of shit theater. That was the good part! I wish I was joking. But it was 3D and Dolby 3D, which I'm not sure if that's the reason, probably not (I prefer Real D), but it was 3-4 stops too low. And yes, I realize how much that is. It was so bad that the desert of Jakku appeared dark even when it was day, the night scenes were almost impossible to see any details, facial expressions in half of the film were impossible to make out unless it was extreme close-up, even close-up shots you couldn't see the full face. It was TERRIBLE. This is why people hate 3D, because of theaters like this. I was so scarred by this experience I will stick to IMAX 3D and 2D for TFA from now on, no more 3D for me because even both times I saw it in Real D it was still a bit dark for my tastes. IMAX 3D somehow compensates for that and it doesn't seem darker than 2D, to my eyes. 

My girlfriend's grandparents saw the movie in 3D last night and it was their FIRST movie in theaters since Avatar in 2010 (they saw it after the new year). I paid for the tickets today so I was directly responsible for 5 TFA tickets today. I figured last night, well, can't sit around and bitch about the Friday gross, better suit up and go play :P

I'm just teasing, but so happy to see that Saturday number. That's... unexpected. And really good! I thought once I saw 10.7 that Saturday was looking like maybe 15.5 to 16.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Empire said:

Wow! That is a great jump for TFA!

Especially with the playoffs going on.

1 billion is on life support but I don't think it's completely dead.  

Holiday weekend next week will be real interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

That's a monstrous Sat jump. Any particular reason behind it?

Dude did you read my post?! You're looking at it! I'm working hard for you guys, saw the goddamn movie twice more Saturday, I can't do this all alone! LOL, j/k, I know my $32 or whatever doesn't really amount to anything more than tears in the rain. :P

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Leo is not going to lose. He is the surest of all bets this awards season. He will win the Globe and will be an easy Oscar winner in February.

I don't think the words Leo and easy Oscar winner can be put in the same sentence.

Oscar favorite sure, but this isn't Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs or DDL when he gave the goat performance and was a lock for TWBB, etc.

Also, great jump for TFA and excellent ow for The Revenant.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 3

So Daddy's Home was pretty fantastic. I was expecting "meh" to "its okay" but as far as comedies go, it's a 9/10 for me (will think about it further though). Full recommendation.

Also, the best comparison for how Revenant is doing at our theatre is American Sniper. Unless legs are unusually strong or weak Sunday onwards, it could have a very similar run. And that movie opened to the equivalent of 65M at our theatre and made it to 253M total.