WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

For sure, that epic drop is happening because WOM isn't good, but I also think Weinstein should have chosen a date and stick with it. The OW could have been better if people actually knew when the movie was coming out. 

Could the leak also play into this lukewarm BO results of The Hateful 8? Or would this only been seen as a minor nuisance since Revenant is doing quite fine besides the leak?

1 minute ago, Gumby said:

Is Joy an official flop?

It's neither hit or a flop, just an underperformer. I wonder if they would've benefitted by moving out of December and into a 2016 spot where it would've avoided being labeled an Oscar also-ran ala The Monuments Men.

3 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Could the leak also play into this lukewarm BO results of The Hateful 8? Or would this only been seen as a minor nuisance since Revenant is doing quite fine besides the leak?

Minor nuisance, IMO. The leak didn't break out to the mainstream. None of them did. Same happened with American Sniper. 

• Like 1

The good news is TFA has followed Avatar's holds far better on Sat and Sun. Friday has always been its bad day compared to Avatar. So the high end of the Friday range and Avatar's Sat/Sun holds could still put as high as 44 in play. That would give it barely enough to keep the 1b dream on life support. 

#prayercircle

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Is Joy an official flop?

No, more like a disappointment.  It should break even theatrically or at worst when it hits ancillary

Concussion though even with a much smaller budget (35m v 60m) will have a harder time breaking even since football centered movies have a difficult record making $ overseas.

52 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

1. if you want to even more narrow the conditions till they match to your try to 'proof' your point, you should have done so at the first place

2. see my 2013 post, you missed even a recent one, out of our actual time, where it is the new normal to make a very high percentage within the starting 2-3 weeks

3. you missed beside No Prisoner's example also at least one out of 1977 and 1982, both first run and not adjusted

4. Your point seem to have been that 'lesser' movies (I might have misunderstood that, but that is how I understood your wording) do not do over $200m, as already pointed out at 2. = not typical anymore nowadays, still a few managed to get rather near to that defined ammount still/too. Especially as to be expect blockbusters get usually a more concentrated summer release, means the next one typically cuts the legs of the earlier one... to a degree.

Only to be sure: typical doesn't mean impossible

5. I totally disagree to your postulation (?) how MBFGW should have been named, it has the right to get recognised on its own for its major accomplishment

i wasn't trying to proof [sic] anything.  i just asked a question of which i didn't know the answer, except that in recent times, even as far back as 1997 apparently, it has been extremely rare. maybe 2 or 3 movies out of thousands besides Cameron's films of course. i did sort of give props to MBFGW comparing it to Titanic.  having said that, MBGFW is not a comparable movie to TFA.  no one will call TFA a sleeper hit that never hit number 1.  MBGFW also only made about 1% of its box office in its first 17 days, not about 80%. which is probably closer to the point i was originally making. $200 million is hard to make period, let alone after making the vast majority of your box office.  if anything, TFA will probably mirror The Avengers or JW's post third weekend runs. meaning, possibly if not probably around or even less than $100 million more (after fourth weekend).  if $10.7 million for Friday is correct, then a sub $30 million weekend isn't off the table yet either. 

Edited by lobo007

7 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Every screener was leaked so very doubtful.  WOM killed it.   It a very talky violent film with unlikable characters that take place mostly in one room for 3 hours in the old west. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Today I will be watching the room, Carol, the revenant, the big short and Trumbo

5 movies in one day? Jesus Christ, man.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Minor nuisance, IMO. The leak didn't break out to the mainstream. None of them did. Same happened with American Sniper. 

To be fair, a portion of American Sniper's audience doesn't know how to use the Internet. ;) Or care at all about the Oscars.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Good to know that. Well, maybe it really does not appeal to a brighter audience besides movie buffs. As for myself, I'll see them both on home cinema in a few months, as they simply do not appeal to me as movies that have to be experienced in theaters. My loss, I know. But there aren't any screens for 70mm movies around where I live, so that plus for at least Hateful 8 comes not into play in my case unfortunately.